Anu: “Can I watch Salaam Namaste with you? Please?”
Mom: “Why?”
Anu: “I like Safely (an ABCD pronunciation of Saif Ali), and you said there was no violence in the movie.”
Mom: “Well, there’s no violence, but there might be … um, … other things ... only for adults.”
Anu: “Like what?”
Mom: “Just, um, … stuff … for grown-ups.”
Anu (rolling his eyes): “You mean, like kissing and stuff?”
Mom: “Um, …yeah.”
Anu: “Is it bad to kiss?”
Mom: “Oh no, no, not at all ... Oh, fine, you can watch the movie.”
So, the family (along with Anu’s friend, Neil, who’s almost nine and says he hates Indian movies but nevertheless watched with his mouth half-open) settled down with bowls of vanilla ice cream, turned the subtitles on for the kids’ benefit, and watched a very Pretty Zinta dimple her way through Safely’s life.
Mid-way through the feature, Anu and Neil added a new word to their vocabulary.
Anu: “Abortion?!!”
Neil: “Do they really kill the baby?”
Mom (squirming uncomfortably): “Um, … yeah.”
Neil: “How?”
Mom: “Um, …they give the mom some medicine. Guys, does anybody want water? Do you need to use the restroom? Are you sure? Are you feeling cold? Should I turn the heat up?”
The humans figured - with the bedroom and abortion scenes behind them - the worst had passed and they could watch the rest of the show without further discomfort. Things went well until Safely jumped on the birthing bed and yelled, “Push, push!”
Anu: “What’s he pushing?”
Thankfully, AB’s antics saved the moment. The kids rolled on the floor in splits. Anu stopped for a moment to gasp out, “Hey, why is he looking under the sheet for the baby? You told me the doctor cuts your stomach open and takes the baby out.”
The movie mercifully ended and mom braced herself for more questions.
Anu (after a pregnant pause): “Can we have more ice cream?”
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
When push comes to shove
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I didn't take my 6 year old daughter for Salaam Namaste but I am trying to tell her, in phases, the truth abt the 'birds and the bees'. The other day the conversation turned to how babies are born so I told her that sometimes a doctor cuts mummy's stomach but the natural way is something else.
Guess what she said? I know, I saw it on Discovery Channel! But she had some Qs... and (hopefully!) I satisfied her natural curiosity in a the proper tone and manner. ie without fidgeting or embarassment!
If we don't tell our kids they'll find out through their friends or TV or the internet. And the discovery may not occur in the educational' setting of a Discovery channel.
So we parents may as well be the ones to discuss it first, in a factual and open manner. Nine is old enough for a detailed *talk*. Trust me, any later is too late in this day and age.
Shudder, Shudder!!! Man, I am scared of this age when I have to explain the birds and the bees to my kids. But I guess it is better I speak to them rather than they pick it up from elsewhere....
Anu (after a pregnant pause):
Very apt. :D
I was lucky - both parents are doctors and medical issues came up frequently. I learnt about sex the same way I learnt what 'cardiac arrest' meant. Most of my friends had a much more awkward time discovering the processes of sex, and have far more amusing stories to share than I do. :)
I take issue with your "kill the baby" definition of abortion, though. You're practically describing the people who choose it as murderers!
Tell me about it, folks! So far, mom's only managed the "good touch-bad touch" talk with Anu. The kid's only 7-1/2, so adult knowledge is still being dispensed on an as-needed basis.
When I was younger my parents used to ask me to go get them a glass of water when 'adult' scenes came on the tv. :D
Post a Comment