Sunday, August 13, 2006

Family Dishonor

Grandma: “Has that blog ban been lifted in India? Will I be able to access Indira’s blog when I return?"

Me: “Yup. You can read all your food blogs, and mine, too.”

Grandma: “You know, I seriously think you should change the way you write. Look at all these recipe sites, for example - they’re so decent. Why can’t you do some research and write something meaningful for a change? Why do you have to write trash?”

Me: “Trash?!! My blog is full of candid, and oftentimes, satirical observations on human and bestial nature, written straight from the heart.”

Grandma (shuddering): “I just hope none of our relatives and family friends ever catch wind of your site. What will they think?”

Hmmm … I wonder if she has a point. Past experience suggests that grandma is usually right. Maybe I shouldn’t be revealing my humans’ boudoir behavior anymore.

Maybe I should concentrate on solemn subjects that touch my readers’ hearts and make a difference in their lives - like penitentiary reforms among inmates in the Samoa Islands or the importance of secondary school female education in Gansu or ageing population and demographics in sub-Saharan Africa.

You all would enjoy that, wouldn’t you?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

aah... thanks grandma!

You think it's so easy to keep "Mahanandi" PG rated. Don't you? :)

It's not, really! I have to practice Gandhi's kind of self control to keep my blog that way.:)

parikrama said...

U've got one hecuva cool granny :-)

Terri the terrific said...

Really, Indira?!! You surprise me. I didn't know you could slide into food porn.

Parikrama, thanks. It's a pity not too many of her genes transferred over to her daughter.

Anonymous said...

Noooo Terri! don't change anything about your blog!

Where else would I go to get the kind of satirical, self depreciating humour that keeps me coming back to your blog? and that too by a dog? oh, c'mon...don't do this to us!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

Nahh.. there's really no point in writing for someone else :) You should continue to write for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Are you fishing for comments from your audience here. ;-)

Maybe Granny can start a blog of her own... Now that would be fun!!

-Manav

Terri the terrific said...

OK, OK, SH. If you insist, baba, I’ll continue in the same vein. I have no intentions of treading on your territory, anyway.

Anon, if I wrote for myself, I’d write my thoughts in a diary and hide it in mom’s lingerie drawer. Why draw attention to myself in a public forum?

Manav, you still here? Your very presence is a compliment. (Girlfriends of mine are wondering who you are.)
Ladies, just to clarify, he’s not a cousin. In fact, I don’t have any male relatives named Manav. No female relatives either. What’s that? How would I know if he’s single, rich and handsome?

Anonymous said...

I don't think I know you (or your girl-friends).

I am single, however, since I am a pilot (meanning I am not rich) and am away for days on end in foreign cities, I have many female-friends and don't really feel the need to be tied down. Maybe it also has something to do with my fear of commitment...

Not many people of Indian-origin are pilots in the US so I also have the whole 'exotic' thing working for me. That always helps with new stewardesses!

Anyways, you really didn't answer my question in my last comment..

-Manav

Terri the terrific said...

Manav, you should thank your lucky stars you don’t know some of my grrrrlfriends.

A pilot, eh? Sounds exactly like a sailor, with a girlfriend in every hub. (I shall refrain from cracking obvious ‘cockpit’ jokes here.)

Do you fly to India for free? More importantly, can you bring back unlimited quantities of toovar dal?

Anonymous said...

I don't fly to India and don't really want to. I do mainly local routes and sometimes to South America.

Toovar dal... I don't really cook, but, whenever my Mom visits she insists on bringing me all the supplies (including toovar dal) in case i ever decide to cook! So, if anyone out there needs 5kg of toovar dal, urad dal, moong dal... let me know!

-Manav

Anonymous said...

Seems like your blog is flying up there, Terri! See if you can squeeze a few flier miles outta this.

And a resounding YES to "penitentiary reforms among inmates in the Samoa Islands". That sounds really phat!