Monday, September 11, 2006

Yanking the Chain

I wonder if there's a polite way of letting my family and friends know what exactly I think of the chain e-mails and mass messages about friendship and love, with images of cute puppies romping in daisy fields and plump babies sitting in sudsy tubs, that they send my way?

What perverse pleasure do these people receive by forwarding me religious rants or graphics of a gaudy Radha-Krishna with an inspirational message about divine love and a dire warning at the bottom that the memo better leave my hands in the next 24 hours or else?

Folks, I understand that you don’t want to tempt fate by deleting chain messages, but why send your trash my way? This is like cleaning your compound and depositing the garbage outside my front gate.

The same goes for e-cards. I don't want to click on links and watch pink candles flickering on a cake or listen to fireworks in the background. I’d rather you sent me a one-liner on my birthday and major festivals; or better yet, just send cash or edibles.

Therefore, unless the content is R-rated or the joke uproariously funny, I humbly implore the people in my inbox to stop forwarding me tales of spiders under toilet seats in Florida or prayers invoking the 108 names of Lord Ganesha.

Please, no pooping on my property. Use your cyber neighbor's litterbox/inbox instead.

5 comments:

M (tread softly upon) said...

lol maybe this will interest you.

Terri the terrific said...

Thanks, m! My sentiments, exactly.

anantha said...

Well, at least you did not get emailed pictures from a film star's marriage (and private pictures from the mehendi function) from 6 different people! I even got a joke email about the aforementioned film star's first night with his actress wife, complete with blank (black) pictures. Apparently the joke was that the film star had put of the light! The whole deal (not the blackened pictures, but the marriage pics forwarding :P) left me fuming the whole day. Evidently I am still fuming. Ignore me!

Terri the terrific said...

anantha, is this the Surya-Jo wedding? Now that I wouldn't have minded, especially if the bride is pretty and the wedding pictures are full of attractive women.
The only thing I received the last few days are more Sardar jokes and Powerpoint friendship messages. Obviously, my family and friends don't read this blog. Sigh!
Please pass this blog on to 10 friends to show them you really care about them.
Oh wait, you already did that....

anantha said...

Ya.. same wedding only! Yes, bride was somewhat pretty and the pictures were ok. But they were randomly taken, with some camera phone or something! Moreover, they were not meant to be public, i.e the pictures from her mehendi! Some guy/gal posted it on a blog saying they got it from a friend who was there for the function and had sent it to them!
Besides the angst stems from the fact that I woke up in the morning and found the same pics emailed by six different people??? Believe me, I am not exaggerating at all.