The day started off like any other: the sun shone bright; the sparrows milled around the bird feeder feasting on last year’s animal crackers from Costco that the kids had refused after the first bite; Kuki was pulling clothes from her closet; the table was littered with jigsaw puzzle pieces; and Anu had a few friends over on a play date.
Before the boys started pestering her for television and sugar-laden snacks, mom sniffed her armpits and decided a shower was in order.
While peeling off her clothes, she noticed that she had allowed her legs and arms to grow so hairy she could actually run a comb through the strands. Wondering if she might perhaps turn into an abominable snowwoman if she allowed nature to take its course, mom smeared depilatory cream on her limbs, and dabbed some on her upper lip as well, for good measure.
She ran the shower and turned toward the mirror, critically pinching the layers of fat on her hips. Humming the theme song from Naach, mom idly wondered if Antara Mali had had her chest surgically enhanced. How else could one explain her taut, smooth mammaries that neither jiggled nor bounced, and seemed to have a personality of their own?
Straightening her shoulders, mom turned to her side and sharply sucked in her belly, noting with some satisfaction the inflation of her own chest as her stomach muscles contracted. Belting out a number from the film, she bent down in a graceful plié and stretched her arms out, à la Antara, toward an imaginary Abhishek Bachchan standing on a windy crag in the distance.
And it was in that position that Anu and his friends found mom, as they barged into the master bedroom without knocking. Four pairs of eyes (six, if you count his friends’ eyeglasses) stared at mom, as she stood buck naked in front of the mirror, wearing nothing but depilatory cream and a sexy pout.
“Er … ma, what are you doing?” asked Anu. “And why do you have a milk moustache?”
Caught like a deer in the glare of oncoming headlights, mom froze, unsure of whether to remain in a semi-crouched position with her arms stretched out or to straighten up.
“Amma, you naked!” squealed Kuki, from behind the boys. “Guys, see, my mom’s not wearing underwear,” she pointed out.
“Can we play Xbox, ma?” continued Anu. “Please, please, please?”
Mom nodded mutely. At that moment, if Anu had asked for a hippopotamus for Christmas, she would have assented to that too.
“Cool, let’s go guys!” said Anu, running out the bathroom, followed by a giggling gaggle of eight-year-olds and one three-year-old.
Mom waited until she heard the bedroom door slam behind them.
Only then did she exhale.
Saturday, November 11, 2006
And here’s to you, Mrs. Sampat
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
you're kidding, right?
this is the stuff of nightmares... of unlocked and unseen doors to bath areas that you discover only after you've started showering and you hear foot steps...
oh boy.
good lord, you are hilarious! :-)
This is the stuff of ben stiller movies...did it really happen?
Tsk, tsk, such Doubting Thomases ... I guess I shouldn't say anything about the time mom and dad were caught in the act. Nobody would believe me. Oh, cruel world ...
OMG Terri! Your mom is just too much! Cartoon character man! dog I mean! How innocent though - can we play X-box mom?! Thank goodness for that! Had they been a few years older she would have been embarassed to death!
Hilarious. At the same time, it brings one's own embarassments to mind.
OMG!!!!!
Hope this has not traumatised Anu for life!!!!hahahhaha!!!!
Too funny!!
:)
G
P.S: I thot Nach was a really silly movie. Watch Dor, I'm sure u will like it.
as long as it was not Dad and his friends walking in on Mom's 'milk' mustache she probably avoided a potentially even more embarrassing situation.... just by a whisker tho :)
-Manav
Yikes! this is the stuff of nightmares....for the kids :-)
Well, you'll know they rattled about this at home when you catch the kids' moms giving you strange looks and looking very closely at your upper lip!!!
cheers!
Oh my god! Hilarious. I would believe you about being caught in the act by the way.
mg, flattery, eh? You've found my Achilles' heel ;)
saffron, g, it's the kids I'm worried about. I hope they won't require therapy.
Manav, even with a bachcha crowd, mom felt like the "ding, You are now free to move about the country" Southwest ad.
jc, something similar happened to you? Please enlighten.
madsies, welcome; rads's sister, right?
noon, yes, the innocence is touching (although I feel I shouldn't use that word in this context). But kids grow up fast, as you well know, so mom might have to start bolting the door and listen to Kuki wail for the next seven minutes from the other side.
ROTFL....now mom's traumatized the kids for life. And years later they will be in a couch telling the psychiatrist about how they walked into Mom without underwear on :))
Oh dear...but Manav's got the optimistic 'view'...at least it wasn't Dad with his friends!!
The kids seem to have not thought anything of it... gasp, Terri, has this happened to your Mom before?? ;-)
m, I'd be traumatized too if my first exposure to the female form happened in this fashion.
nee, yes, Anu's used to seeing mom make a complete ass of herself, so this is nothing new for him.
Mom, read your blog after a long time and boy, couldn't stop laughing. All I can say is you are not the only one..:-)))
-Manisha D
Well, thank goodness you stepped up, Manisha. Mom was beginning to think she's the one running a free freak show.
This is the most hilarious post I have read, EVER ! :)
Thanks for brightening my day.
Ah yes, I can hear the Simon and Garfunkel... Guess she's the most popular Mommy on the block now huh Terri?
*echos Shoefie's thought!
ROTFL!
Oh my Gawd! I just found your blog and LOVE it! Hilarious! I'm wiping tears off my face as I type!
Thank you all! Just another of the wonderful joys of being a parent.
Post a Comment