This time, the humans have started arguing even before their vacation has begun.
Normally, they wait to schedule arguments just before departure.
Dad: “What are you still doing in the kitchen? We’re going to miss the plane.”
Dad: “Everybody in the car! I’m almost done checking my e-mail.”
Dad: “Oof, I told you not to pack so much for a weekend trip. I can hardly lift these bags.”
Dad: “Why do you need three pairs of shoes? It’s a hiking trip.”
Dad: “So many jackets? Please! We’re going to the beach!”
Dad: “Do the kids really need all these snacks for the way?”
Depending on her mood, and how late she stayed up the night before laundering everybody’s underwear, mom will respond with stinging sarcasm or stony silence, so that by the time they’re on their way, the humans are mostly communicating through their kids.
“Ask Amma if she’s hungry. I need to make a quick stop at Starbucks.”
“You want to go pee pee? Go ask Appa to take you. And make sure you go potty also.”
When dad recently announced that their Thanksgiving plan this year included visiting family in the Great Lakes region, mom smiled excitedly, looking forward to a weekend of good food, merry company and possible shopping at Ann Arbor.
Mom: “Cool! Now we can get that Ultra grinder I’ve been thinking about.”
Dad: “Are you kidding me? I’m not lugging a grinder all the way back. Those things weigh a ton.”
Mom: “I know, but we’re going all the way there. Why can’t we .…”
Dad: “Just order it online. It’s less of a hassle.”
Mom: “What? And pay needlessly for shipping and handling?”
Dad: “Look, I’m telling you, it’s not worth it. We’re not bringing any appliances back.”
Clearly, dad feels his "coolness" factor would reduce a notch if some babe at the airport were to see him hauling an Ultra grinder. Hmmm, I wonder what the general babe reaction would be when they see him towing a laptop, a camcorder, not one but two cameras, a tripod, a pink sipper cup, a novel, an umbrella stroller and a wailing toddler to the very last departure gate at the airport.
Oh, and notice that woman behind him with the hawk eyes? The one throwing dagger looks at all scantily clad women who give new meaning to the term "travel light?"
Babes, beware; she’s a part of his baggage too.
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Excess Baggage
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Hee hee - Pink sipper cup vs Ultra - wonder which one reduces the coolness factor more. I think the Ultra does! I can see his point! Way too uncool! Be nice to him Terri! :) We lugged an Ultra back from India this time - my MIL dreamt of buying us an Ultra and we flat out refused for 4 yrs. Sadly we brought it back this time...it would have made her so happy to know that we now have an Ultra in our Kitchen! (Which remains nicely packed for the last two weeks since we got back! Wonder when the opening ceremony will be held!).
hahaha, sometimes I think ALL desi familes are too similar!
btw, what DO people do in Ann Arbor area, I have folks who insist on dropping on top of us at EVERY long break, coz there's "really nothing to do" up north.
I do the same whining on the NJ tpike.
noon, find a good date and inaugurate it. Don't let the same fate befall it as did mom's Sumeet mixer. It gathered dust for a year until one of the grandmas came from India and opened the box. Mom still has no clue which blade does what.
rads, no idea what people in the north do. I imagine they shovel snow in the winter and watch fireflies from their decks in the summer.
Any reason why your feedreader feeds have been disabled? When one uses bloglines, one requires that his fav blogs are feed enabled!
Ha Ha! My husband resisted buying an UG for a long time, because he claimed that it would make him feel "all settled" and "part of the older generation"!! this coming from a guy who had no qualms having 2 children, buying a house and 2 cars...and happens to love idlis/dosas....go figure...
Perhaps you should check with Dad to see if a similar anxiety is the issue!!
cheers!
:-)
Ways of life.
Dropped in here after a long time, and, dear mom, my morning shines happy and bright! thank you!
ano
“What? And pay needlessly for shipping and handling?”
My cousin, the free spirit of the family who got married last year (she has since effortlessly slipped into the whole grind of daily afternoon naps, weekend pot-lucks and get-togethers) wanted me to buy one for her from here and ship it out to her in the Midwest. I made the 50 mile roundtrip for her and walked around like 10 stores before she found that the stores charge more than what it costs online, even with the shipping costs.
And the bhel-puri I had more than compensated for the drive that I had to make! So I had no complaints either.
oh btw, thank your humans for looking into the feed issue for me :D
SH, this sounds like the minivan excuse. Lots of people I know resist buying a minivan at first for the very same reasons. (No, we don’t own a minivan, either.)
jc, your time will come. Maybe you should stock up on essential appliances before you get married. Future in-laws might be impressed by your foresight.
ano, thanks. Kind words coming from a writer of your caliber.
anantha, that was useful information. Thanks. I know we're going to end up ordering it online, but there's no reason to make dad's life easier on mere technicalities until then.
Post a Comment