Sigh! Just as surely as desi events never seem to start on time, it’s a given that grandma and I do not see eye to eye on many issues. For example:
- Living abroad – “Why slog in a strange country so far away when you can live like a king/queen here?”
- Sleeping in – “Wake up! You’re just wasting your precious life away.”
- Clipping fingernails at night – “There’s a reason why our elders have said you shouldn’t clip your nails at night. What reason? I don’t know. But I’m sure it’s a valid one.”
- Rising early and greeting the day with a smile – Same argument as above.
Therefore, it comes as no surprise that grandma finds certain posts on this blog entirely objectionable.
Grandma: “How can you write such rubbish? Chee, chee, at least have some shame.”
Me: “But, but …”
Grandma: “Where are your moral values? Is this what we’ve taught you?”
Me: “But, but …”
Grandma: “Do you have any idea how many people in our family read your blog?”
Me: “No, but, but …”
Grandma: “Do us all a favor and get two blogs. One decent one that the whole family can read and another one for all your other nonsense. Really, sometimes your blog is as disgusting as a Malayali blue film.”
Me (thinking): “Wait a second! What does she know about skin flicks?”
Perhaps now would not be a good time to let grandma know about that telecommuting position that found its way into mom’s inbox, one that she may or may not apply to:
Feel like you’re going nowhere in your current job? Can you seduce people with your words?
XXX, home of the largest repository of adult literature online, is looking for a motivated, talented and razor-sharp writer/editor to write/edit adult stories, erotic literature and various columns intended for mature audiences only.
You must be comfortable with erotica and adult situations. Great pay. Only serious inquiries, please.
Hmmm, I wonder if this blog would qualify as a work sample.

13 comments:
My koshtin to you/your mom: How did Grandma even come to know that you blog? That is the koshtin that you/mom have to ask yourself. he he..
However, regardless of what it is, I don't think the disagreement situation will change. Mom's are like that! They have to be opinionated, sometimes with half-knowledge.
“There’s a reason why our elders have said........ What reason? I don’t know. But I’m sure it’s a valid one.”
Where have I heard that before? he he!
anantha, discretion not being my middle name, the blog is public knowledge.
Do you think if the elders knew about blogs, they would have objected to that too?
Ask grandma, and she'll probably say, "With good reason!"
hehe, if you are good at something, you should do it - what it's used for is irrelevant ;-)
*remember Elaine's sexy voice message she leaves on Seinfield's phone*
Moms will be moms :-)
"Really, sometimes your blog is as disgusting as a Malayali blue film.”
Me (thinking): “Wait a second! What does she know about skin flicks?”"
LOL.
Terri - hope grandmom chides mom often and well - makes for fun reading for us! Mallu blue film - chee chee! Don't you think so Terri! If you catch mom watching one let us all know K!
The post title reminded me of my blog and that I have to update it. :-)
Job as an adult literarure author! Wow!
jc, you're impressed, eh? Somehow I feel you're more knowledgeable about the adult entertainment world than I am.
noon, um..., whose side are you on?
m, :)
rads, in that case I'm good at napping and catching flies. And I do both happily.
terr, tell mom i bumped into a couple "family-types" at a party... related to your mom, i gathered.
i let on about your blog... and then the female "family type" said... "are you sure you want us to go there? we're family and all that!"
whoa :)
A, relatives? I need names, please.
Doctor arvind and his wife kavita of I'nagar... claimed bum chums of grandad...
That's exactly who I thought it would be.
Thanks, A, I'll make sure I return the favor someday.
Hey terri,
Mom sure seems to have a reputation!
Grandma: “Do us all a favor and get two blogs. One decent one that the whole family can read and another one for all your other nonsense. Really, sometimes your blog is as disgusting as a Malayali blue film.”
and terri has gone and created "another one for all your other nonsense", i.e., terrisampat.blogspot.com! touche!
- s.b.
Post a Comment