Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Kissa Kiss Ka

The bile rose in mom’s throat as she watched the lip-locked teenagers leaning against the library wall, tickling each other's tonsils with their tongues.

School had just let out, and the library parking lot adjacent to the high school was filled with youngsters waiting for their rides.

A few kids slouched on the sidewalk, hands in their pockets, swaying slightly to the rhythm of their iPods. But the vast majority was joined at the hip to a member of the opposite sex.

The prude in mom, latent all these years, was suddenly awoken. She wanted to shield her son's eyes, smother him to her chest and say, “My sweet, innocent baby, promise me you won’t be exchanging saliva like this in a couple of years. Please tell me you’ll wait until you graduate from medical school or until I'm menopausal - whichever comes later."

The pimply-faced, overgrown adolescents, with their tongues rammed down each other's throats, would not have bothered mom a few years ago. After all, her own hormones had raged at 14 for Rhett Butler and for Father Ralph at 16.

But now, as a parent, the steaminess on the sidewalk where her little angels were trotting and dodging clinging couples, bothered her. Perhaps this is what her own parents were sheltering her from with their incessant “What, When, Where, Why, How?” questions when she was growing up.

Shouldn't there be a law against public displays of affection on school premises? Seriously, if dog owners can be fined $200 for not picking up after their pets, and women can be hounded for nursing in public, why can’t juveniles be barred from kissing on campus?

Underage necking, you see, is seriously injurious to my mom’s health.

7 comments:

rads said...

Readlly? Such PDA's on school grounds near the library? hmm.... Thankfully, I haven't been subjected to such scenes near our High. I have a feeling it's to do with the area as well.. Ive heard complaints more from the West than my conservative East....

Anonymous said...

Terry, tell mom that I hear her loud and clear.
I live in India, and thankfully, don't see boys and girls swallowing each other's tongues in public. But the hoardings make up for it. Some time back, there was a huge (colossal, would be more like it.. one could see the seat pores on the actor's face ) hoarding where the guy was chewing on the gals lips. And it was at the most traffic prone junction in the city. Pretty nauseating to a thirty-odd prude whose hormones have started receding to extinction.

Jinguchakka said...

When the current generation thinks that nothing could shock them, the next one does just that. I bet even those tonsil hockey players would be shocked in their time by their kids. Just don't go near school when you have school going grandkids. Bad for your health!!

:-)

Terri the terrific said...

rads, decadent West on your side of the world too, eh? I'm not sure it's just the area; I've seen similar behavior in malls too.

lakshmi, wow, Chennai doesn't sound conservative anymore. And I'm with you on the hormones receding to extinction ;)

jc, I agree. Just when you think you're so much cooler than your parents, you discover that you're really not.

Anonymous said...

Terri, I couldn't agree more with your Mom. Stuff that didn't bother me before, now causes a strange reaction coz I see a sparkle of interest/curiousity in my soon-to-be teenager's eyes. The Middle school arranges for "dances" once a month for 6-7-8th graders. I chaperoned for one such dance. The primary function for the chaperones was to circulate on the dance floor and break up conjoined-at-the-hip teenagers :( and believe me, the chaperones were kept super busy the whole 2 hours.

cheers!

Terri the terrific said...

SH, groan, why do schools even arrange these dances? I thought the annual prom was bad enough.

The Visitor said...

Come on Terri - tell mommy to grow up. She has to live with the times. She IS getting old.