Dad (from armchair): “You’re still cooking? You’ve been in the kitchen all afternoon.”
Mom: “I’m almost done. Just a few more things.”
Dad: “I think there’s enough food. Why don’t you stop?”
Mom: “Hmmm ….”
Dad: “You should learn to keep things simple. There’s beer, right? That’s all we really need for the party, along with finger food.”
Dad rises from the armchair and approaches mom.
Mom’s heart skips a beat, secretly hoping dad is about to hug her. “Maybe he really appreciates all I do,” she thinks, berating herself for the uncharitable thoughts that crossed her mind not a moment ago, when she saw him lolling in the armchair, coffee mug in hand.
Dad is now within kissing distance of mom.
Mom pretends to be busy sautéing onions. She keeps her fingers crossed.
Dad reaches over mom’s head.
“Here it comes,” thinks mom, holding her breath.
A sudden roar fills the room. Dad has turned on the exhaust fan above the range.
“Try and leave this on,” he says, before walking away. “The whole house smells.”
Thursday, December 21, 2006
Venting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
LOL! I'll bet she harbored even worse thoughts in her mind as he walked away!
lol.
Self-deprecatory humour is the best!
LOL...sounds familiar mon cheri
haha, a die-hard romantic eh? ;-)
I discovered your blog quite recently and all your posts are fabulous! But I *had* to comment for this one. Its too close to home that I was shocked. I was telling myself just before the last sentence "It cant be the Exhaust fan like it happened to me". And it WAS! The only difference was I was pretending to "cut" the onions! ;)
ps. And now that I have finished reading the entire archives, you should write more often! :)
Are you me?
-Lakshmi
Hiya Terri and family,
Wishing you all a Happy New year. How's mom's writing getting on? Has she started?
@Boo - You didn't know Terri's mom before? Anyway now that you've 'met' have a nice time.
must say ur post even tho hae d same style n also abt same ppl...somehow seems 2 b intresting as always...super cool....post on
1$ saint: Thank U. I also wish my life were more interesting, such as traveling the world or living among the Bushmen for a month or so, but alas, I have to rely on the people around me for blog fodder.
the visitor, thanks for all your comments. HNY to you all too.
ommachi, I am only a mere mortal. Even my name doesn't have religious overtones.
boo, so glad you stopped by! And thank you for the kind words! I thrive on praise.
rads, what to do? Mom lives in eternal hope.
m, ma cherie, you're kidding me! After all those mushy posts, you surely cannot be in the same boat.
jc, thanks. You're learning precious life lessons here. I hope they serve you well someday ;)
manisha, you don't want to know.
Terri, why have you removed the "comment from other blog ids" option? Despite having commented as Lakshmi in some of your earlier posts, now I have to sign in through my husband's blogger account "ommachi" to post. And it is a tad annoying and a breach of his privacy. Could you please put back the option of leaving comments from personal blog spaces?
Sorry, Lakshmi, I'm not trying to make life difficult. I started receiving way too many Viagra and Levitra ads. I've turned "word veri" on now. That's annoying also, I know, but I'm not sure what else to do.
Hee hee...Gudvone dad! :) Keep mama guessing, pining! ;)) Makes for good posts!
Terry, I notice you have brought back the comment option. Thanks.
In case you change your mind, please be aware that the person commenting from the pseudonymn is Lakshmi and not the omnipresent as the name suggests. :)
Terry, wish you and your family a great year. Hope Mom made a resolution to have more such interesting incidents in life that you can write about.
I am recent visitor to your blog. First, i find the style of writing through a dog's voice like a whiff of fresh air. It makes things very interesting when i imagine i am the dog viewing all these incidents.
And this particular post WAS HILARRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOOUS!!! I have not had any personal experience like this - but i probably would have been asked to switch on the exhaust fan from the man still sitting on the arm chair and sipping coffee!! But still i can't keep myself from laughing because of your narration!!! I did not expect the exhaust fan ending!! :-)).
Continue writing!
- Shree
Thanks, shree! As I mentioned before, I thrive mainly on praise.
Post a Comment