It’s not often that both kids are away on a play date the same afternoon and the humans find themselves alone with free time on their hands.
Last weekend, when mom went to pick the kids up after one such play date, her friend smiled at her and said she hoped the humans had spent the afternoon productively (wink, wink; nudge, nudge).
Mom’s heart skipped a guilty beat as she wondered if most parents share a similar thought process whenever they have about five minutes of privacy.
And in case you're wondering, as I'm sure you are, with the entire afternoon to themselves, mom decided to clean the refrigerator while dad stretched out on the couch like Lord Vishnu on Anantashesha and took a nap.
Whatever happened to making hay while the sun shines?
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Time Wasted
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
That's your story?!!! ;)
Find the story you have written quite believable actually!
she realized that most parents, even those who’ve been married donkey’s years, seem to share a smiliar thought process when they have about five minutes of privacy
Pray show me where "most" are? I am a little heartened that we all sail together!
LOL.....
Came to your turf thru Alpha's. All I did this morning was read you. It was a treat going through your posts! terrific, I say.
noon, why, same thing happens at your place too?
rads, you already found one. Two, if you count noon.
upsi, what an intriguing name! Is that your real name or a Mallu moniker? And thanks for the praise - I already love you.
Yes, very much so. Some free time and we don't even bother with refrigrators - it's vegging time - turn on some movie and I turn into police woman to keep checking on tired dad (god knows why since I am the one doing the hard part - feeding the little one his meals) who tries to catch several cat naps in the meanwhile! :)
noon (some problem signing in unless I go thro netscape).
woooof woooff...Intriguing!!!!
Mommmmyyy!! Terri says my name is intriguing..moommmy!!! :-)
Since you asked:
while giving birth to my blog, I happen to read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi. The word there has many meanings: sign of that vague sense of joy, a sensation that separated the good readers from the ordinary ones. It also became the code word that opened the secret cave of remembrance.
ps: read the book when you get a chance. I have a feeling you will enjoy it too.
Sun shines for too short a time to make hay!
yeah as much as i think dat making hay line is boring...
i agree...watever hapnd 2 dat? ;)
Is this the "seven year itch"?
:-)
ha ha! Looks like Mom has been busy! err...lots of new posts I mean!
and OMG, Terri, what's up with your old blog? and to think that Grandma was worried about Mom's writing :) :)
noon, how sad! Looks like it's ghar ghar ki kahani.
upsi, that book's on my list. Will get it on Tuesday when we go to the library for Story time.
mg, sometimes all you need is two minutes, if you know what I mean ;)
1$ saint, since this is a grandma-friendly blog, I had to use the 'hay' line.
jc, 11th year going on.
saffron, the old one's been hijacked, and it's no fault of mine, I assure you. I mean, I'm not that trashy, right? ... Right? ... Hello? ... Anybody there? ...
terri, y dont ya hint yur mom abt the 'gratification thins' that can b accomplished in '5 mins'? cleaning the refrigerator isnt an interesting '5 min' activity, i surmise.
instead of having mom cleaning something that will get messy as soon as the kids return, and having dad catch up on kumbhakarna, why not ask them to pursue the stimulating activity they pursue, about once a week or so, if i remember their average correctly? which activity, you ask? [tut tut ... here are some hints]
- it starts (if i remember right) in the living room, and
- continues in the bedroom
need more hints? awww, come on now, terri, you've blogged about it. go back and read up what you have written in the past! once you find it, maybe you can provide a link for those hapless readers who are barking up - pardon the pun - the wrong tree!
- s.b.
Now Terri, do you think we could borrow Dad for a bit? I do so need him to give lessons to a certain someone on how to sprawl out and do this Lord Vishnu avatar thing. :D
hey..
Long time since I stopped by --
well, yu have captured the true facts of a married life with children :)
-Vaish
Given the sunshine, we blog ! Better than cleaning refridgerators, what?
For your infom I have moved to a new blog site
www.lakshmi.arunn.net>Alchemy.
Lakshmi, if you ask me, anything is better than cleaning refrigerators and babies' bottoms.
Vaish, so glad you found me. Thanks for stopping by.
manisha, why in the world would you want to convert somebody into a couch potato?
s.b., why make me tax my brain? Could you please provide the link? BTW, as far as I know, the only activity my humans religiously pursue once a week is eating out.
i7, who said cleaning the refrigerator is only a 5-minute job? It needs a lot more attention, dedication and resolve than certain other activities that can be completed in less time than it takes to make Maggi noodles.
hey terri:
it took me some time to find it, but find it i did.
just curious, but why are you trying to diss it to bloghoppers like us? see what happens when you click on the link with your name here!
- s.b.
and yes, it was my memory that incorrectly paraphrased what i read some time ago (and you wrote even longer ago!).
- s.b.
@upsi and Terri's mom - Seen you mentioning Reading Lolita in Teheran - here is a review of the book by GB
Hazard a guess, Terri! :-D
Post a Comment