Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Chor Machaye Shor

Following the dictates of her tongue, mom headed to the company cafeteria around lunchtime to get some ketchup to go with her meal.

As she grabbed a packet of ketchup from a plastic bin by the door and proceeded toward the exit, a loud voice halted her in her tracks.

“Excuse me,” said a busty Latina in a hair net, “you’re gonna have to pay for that.”

“For the ketchup?” asked mom incredulously.

“Uh-huh,” said the woman, placing her hands on her hip. “Anything that leaves this cafeteria … knives, forks, paper napkins, ketchup … has to be paid for,” she said, eyeing the offending packet in mom’s palm.

“I’m sorry,” mumbled mom hurriedly, cursing herself for leaving her purse at her desk and not being able to fling some change in the woman's face.

“You can buy something and I’ll throw the ketchup in,” the woman offered magnanimously.

“Oh, no, thanks, that’s all right,” said mom, red-facedly wondering if Winona Ryder had felt the same emotions coursing through her when she was caught shoplifting.

As she proceeded to drop the dressing back into the plastic bin, the woman seemed to soften a little and said, “I’ll let you go this time because I know you’re new here.”

Puffing up with pride and indignation and making a mental note to fire the lady as soon as she became CEO, mom refused and beat a hasty retreat toward the door.

“No, no, take it this time,” insisted the woman, thrusting the ketchup back in her hands.

"No, thank you," insisted mom, throwing the packet back in the bin.

"No, no, it's all right," insisted the woman.

"No, really," countered mom.

By now the entire company was watching mom and the hair net lady toss the invidious ketchup packet back and forth. Finally, before one of the vice presidents present stepped in to pay for the condiment and mortify her further, mom accepted the ketchup graciously and headed back to her desk, only to throw the unopened packet in the trashcan.

Thayir sadam, she concluded wolfing down her bland lunch, needs no accompaniment.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

was that some organic ketchup or what??! and i never knew it took u that long to commute :( i mean u smile when u make it in 48 mins, come on!!!!

:)
G

Terri the terrific said...

G, the commute is 48 minutes in light traffic. Add 30 extra minutes on regular days. Hmmm, it looks like your commuting days are now a dim memory!

Anonymous said...

Where do you work? I mean they charge for ketchup, forks, plates and napkins! Ridiculous!

Mom has a thing for thearticals, now the whole company knows her as the "Lady who does'nt pay for the ketcup"

BlackThorn said...

lol! btw, wat does 'Thayir sadam' mean?

Anonymous said...

'Thayir sadam' = floating ex-ruler of eye-raq

*need to find a place to hide before terri gets eye-rate*

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

Kk, where do you work? At Google?

Except for the isolated ketchup incident and a sucky commute, this new workplace is a lot better than the old one. That doesn’t sound overly defensive, does it?

Eye, eye-yo, i7, whereabouts are you from? Please check s.b.'s response.

Anonymous said...

Now now terri, really did you need Ketchup for your Thayir sadam?!
noon

Terri the terrific said...

I know, noon, isn't it disgusting to think of thayir sadam and ketchup together? But, desperate times call for desperate measures. The next time mom flies in India, she's going to steal pickle packets from food trays and stock them for work emergencies.

Anonymous said...

Well I carry pickle packets around in my bag sometimes, so don't blame you at all. And I think Thayir sadam needs ketchup sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Nope, I dont work in Google. But my small firm provides me these stuff.

Anonymous said...

Be very honest, Terry. The ketchup-sojourn was not as much for the thayir saadam, as it was for the "free" availability, right? Mom's drawer could have been full of ketchup packets, she would still go for the additional one, if it were free.. would she not? And now that she knows it is not free at work, she would drop into the McDonalds every morning on her 40 minute drive to stock up, I am sure.

M (tread softly upon) said...

Would you believe that I actually went and googled 'thayir sadam' :)

Anonymous said...

Its sacrilege to think Thayir Sadam needs Ketchup. I would prefer pickle or no condiment with it.

rads said...

aww, u poor thing. Paying for ketchup and spoons and forks indeed! I surely hope you love your work enough - the commute and then this!