Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Rest in Peace, Bud

Mom sat at her desk wallowing in self-pity over a looming deadline when she learned that Newcastle, my pal of eight years, passed away yesterday from liver failure, a year after he relocated to Bangalore.

When mom read the e-mail, she felt as though she had been punched in the guts. The news was not entirely unexpected - NC was a senior citizen and had had a string of operations recently - but the wave of sadness that engulfed her took her by surprise.

Of course, we feel horrible for NC’s human who’s traveling and won’t get home for another month. If mom, who only watched him while his humans went away on vacation, feels so badly, imagine how the people who shared their lives with him must feel.

Newcastle’s demise also brings home another harsh reality that mom would rather not face – my own ageing.

I recently crossed my 10th milestone and am slowing down perceptibly. Mom checks my gait every day, and worries when she catches me limping. She doesn’t want me bounding down the stairs in case I sprain my back and is most loath to take me for a dental exam because it would involve anesthesia.

She hugs her fears to her heart as she watches me pant after walking around the block. Just as she does with her children, she stands over me before she retires for the night and watches my body softly rise and fall in rhythm with my breathing.

Mom came home with a heavy heart today and hugged me. As I tried to lick her face, she thought of Newcastle’s pink nose, drooly breath, knobby tumors and saintly patience whenever the children climbed on his back or pulled on his ears.

She buried her face in my neck and prayed silently, sorrowful at Newcastle’s demise but palpably relieved by my warm, goofy presence.

Hush, ma, I'm still here.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

terri:

"I recently crossed my 10th milestone and am slowing down perceptibly."

wait a minute. underreporting of age is so unlike you. ain't you 11 now?

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

Ah, s.b., I'm truly touched that you're keeping track of my advancing age.

While cleaning out a drawer a few months ago, we chanced upon my rabies certificate, which states that I was born in 1997.

I hope you're not one of those humans who says things like, "That person is 26, going on 27." Most confusing, I say. Is the person 26 or 27?

Hmmm, I wonder if I bought myself an extra year.

anantha said...

:)

10 going on 11, you are still top dawg, Terri! Like Allan Iverson :D

Terri the terrific said...

A.I. again!!! Anantha, given your somewhat suspect taste in men, I'm curious about your inclination toward women. Please apprise.

rads said...

That was touching. Ours died when my parents were visiting here, and since dad got so attached to them afterw e left, he was so shaken. Losing a pet is very hard.

M (tread softly upon) said...

Aw come on you still have miles to go. Tell that to Mom and give her a lick, will you :)

Anonymous said...

This might sound very cheesy and cliche, but, I learned at a very young age to value every moment you get with someone you care for. Reality is very harsh and unpredictable at times.

Heres wishing you a happy and long life Terri!

-Manav

noon said...

Very touching post! Just could picture the whole thing...

Terri the terrific said...

rads, it's awful. And one never forgets.

m, manav, noon, thank you. Ghee and sugar in your mouths.

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

damn. u made me all teary eyed.

Sujatha Bagal said...

Awww. Extra hug for Terri today from me. That was beautifully written.

Sujatha Bagal said...

I've been trying to find your e-mail address, but since I can't find it - Thank you for that WONDERFUL review at the Guardian Abroad blogs. It just made all of my days since I first read it. A hug for you too. :)

Terri the terrific said...

shoefie, am glad. Usually, your words stir my soul.

sujatha, thank you and you're welcome. That review didn't require too much of an effort since I meant every word I said.

Mint Chutney said...

Very sweet post

Anonymous said...

sujatha:

"Thank you for that WONDERFUL review at the Guardian Abroad blogs."

a link please (or is it on your blog - i haven't been there the last few days)!

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

terri, give your mom some more licks. She deserves all the kisses she can get and so do you.

A Muser said...

Got me all teary-eyed. Reminded me of the time when Pikey, our cat, ventured out of our home by accident and got lost. We looked everywhere, calling out her name, waiting to hear back her pitiful meow. She doesn't do too good without her mommy and daddy, you see. Finally found her back in the home, blinking her eyes sleepily, wondering what the fuss was about. Guess she must have sneaked in through the patio door when we were out in the frontyard going frantic... Animals do tend to weave their way into your heart and it can be gut-wrenching to see one you know pass away.

Maggie said...

Hi Terri, blog hopped over from Indian Mommies and just had to say your blog is a treat to read! Absolutely fab :)

Terri the terrific said...

mint, thank you!

s.b., please get to Sujatha's blog, pronto. You're missing out on some good reading otherwise.

mg, thanks. I still remember the photo of your black lab that you posted.

muser, was your cat in the house the whole time? I gave mom a heart attack when she was 7 months pregnant by disappearing while off leash. I found my way back, but mom was a mess by then.

moppet's mom, why thank you! Your moppet is delightful, and Bangkok sounds so exotic, and sigh, foreign! It reminds me of Mallika Sherawat tumbling around with that guy in some movie where she shows off her curves a lot.

Anonymous said...

terri:

i've been reading - and commenting - there for quite some time now :-). just that i had been off for a few days ... thanks all the same.

also, i am yet to add my review.

- s.b.

A Muser said...

She may have been in the house all the while! If I remember correctly, we'd left the patio door ajar all afternoon by accident, and couldn't find her anywhere in the house, so we panicked... I still don't know for sure if she did venture out or had found a secret hidey hole we still don't know of.

The Visitor said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear about NC, Terri. We know how it feels. Please pass on my sympathies to mom and NC's people.

Here, we just recently found Clio/Cleo/Brownie (PP's daughter) a new home. We are all missing her, even though she had been here (in transit between 2 homes) for only a few months.