Tuesday, September 25, 2007

On a wing and a prayer

It’s one thing to sit in a dark study and play Flight Simulator X for a few hours while your wife taps her foot impatiently and clangs pots and pans in the kitchen to get your attention.

It's quite another to read Plane&Pilot magazine in bed late into the night while your wife shields her eyes from the glare of the reading lamp.

But it's an entirely different matter altogether to sign up for flying lessons and nonchalantly dismiss your wife’s fears by spouting statistics on the number of airplane fatalities being lower than in other kinds of transportation.

Do you think your wife even cares about the studies conducted by the National Transportation Safety Board?

As you drive to the airport three times a week for your lessons, she summons all the long-ignored gods of her childhood to calm her pounding heart as it threatens to explode from its cavity.

If she were four years old, she’d stomp her feet, throw herself on the floor and cling to you with tears streaming down her face, begging you to stay home.

Instead, she exhibits about the same insouciance as when you step out for an evening jog.

Mom's not the kind to stop you from doing what you want, but if you really need a new hobby, dad, why don't you take up blogging instead?

21 comments:

A Muser said...

I don't think you're too old to fling yourself at his feet, tears streaming down your face, preferably singing, "Na jao saiyan, chudake baiyan..."

Terri the terrific said...

muser, if I wore my heart on my sleeve, the man would run or fly, not walk.

noon said...

Goodness what's it with men and flying lessons! I now know a bunch of 'em that either take flying lessons or want to as soon as they save up enough money.
If it were me, no doubt, I will fling myself on the floor and add to the drama by holding my children while doing it! :)

Unknown said...

It is time for Dr. Narayanöhe to do a study on flying and its side effects on the matriarch, and present the results to your husband!

that will show him..

how about taking ballroom dancing lessons with you?

I have started my Naradhar velai..

Naaaraaayana Naaaraaayana..

:)

Anonymous said...

First trekking in South America, now flying... That is so cool of Dad.. How does he convince mom? (ignoring works?)...

Terri the terrific said...

vijay, it's simple: Don't ask for your wife's opinion, just inform her.

sundar, I would've have picked salsa dancing.

noon, are all those men approaching midlife?

Anonymous said...

Dad is cool! I like him more now :)

rads said...

Flying lessons! That's on my agenda - just a wee bit scared to announce it on the husband - yet.

You should too u know :)

Anonymous said...

Dad actually acted upon the wish! I sympathise with Mom totally.
My husband keeps threatening to fly. Heart thumping at the thought

Anonymous said...

Terri's mom, Thatz how itz going to be in the beginning and soon one day you'll go and see whatz the fuzz is all about and before you know it, you'll be taking lessons leaving kids with baby sitter. Trust me on this - been there done that. Try it out it'll be loads of fun.(you'll be ahead of him in the sport pretty soon)

- Nandini.

Anonymous said...

Machu Picchu Hike, flying lessons, convertibe, evening jog - Dad is way too cool...

Terri the terrific said...

Pilgrim, me too. That’s why we want to hang on to him for as long as we can.

Rads, at least one person in this family needs to be down-to-earth.

Mg, your husband might not act on the wish until he approaches midlife, so you have some time to talk him out of it.

Nandini, that’s what everybody said about sports. And I take to it like a cat takes to water.

anon, sounds like he's trying really hard to get away from his wife, doesn't it?

Squiggles Mom said...

It's good of you to let him be :). At least the gods are coming in handy now!

Terri the terrific said...

s mom, sigh! The gods are invoked on an as-needed basis, I'm afraid. I hope one of these days, they don't trip me up.

Alpha said...

sweet post! love the dynamics you have with dad. but flying, wow! so undesi like....how about getting involved with stock market and such?

Terri the terrific said...

alpha, been there, done that in his 30s. It seems as though 40s are the new 20s now.

Sujatha Bagal said...

I don't know what you are going to say about the fact that I actually gave him a birthday gift of flying lessons!

Terri the terrific said...

sujatha, a gift certificate is understandable. But to get your license just for the heck of it is a little incomprehensible.

Sue said...

Go with him, Mom. That's I'd do.

Terri the terrific said...

sue, the darned course involves studying thick books with diagrams. That's why we prefer to fly as passenger only, and be served by lovely-looking women from Singapore.

the mad momma said...

dont they say men never grow up? its one of those little boy things where they all dream of growing up and flying a plane. little girls, i am told, all dream of getting married? is that true?