I’m sure god has his reasons, but why does he not accept naivedhya prepared with eggs?
I only ask because I was instructed not to offer homemade pound cake as a substitute for pongal.
Is the Creator trying to *gasp* advocate vegetarianism?
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Food for thought
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Are you sure's the eggs? Maybe being a pet, your baking skills are not trusted ... You should have asked your mom/dad to bake, me thinks.
lak, baking for me is a piece of cake. Making pongal on the other hand ....
Hmmmmm...
Good point :P
Man is mistaken. God is actually non-vegetarian.
Terri: I thought I baked bad, until I made pongal yesterday.
Terri, "Thaivam Manusha RupeNaam".And I don't mind eggs.
maybe He just doesnt like eggs?
Or maybe (S)he is allergic to eggs, huh??
There are two possible reasons:
1. Based on Hindu way of life -> When you pray, you try to get mental peace. Food affects that in a big way. Non-veg food is not helpful because it causes a rush! And the offerings in a puja is actually what you have as prasad, they say do not use Non-Veg. (Some puja's for Kali and all actually is the reverse!)
2. Your pound cake is really bad! I guess there are health concerns related to that instruction :)
You Choose~!
pilgrim, the fault lies not with my pound cake, I assure you. How can you go wrong with pounds of butter, sugar and white flour?
indie, gtn, it's a good thing (S)he isn't lactose intolerant. The pious would be doomed otherwise.
L, is that you or ommachi talking?
rads, you haven't tasted my pongal then. It resembles a cowpile.
manisha, I was hoping the food bloggers would clear up this mystery of no eggs allowed.
Pound cake has to result in pounds(lbs). Idols/Pictures cannot put on pounds, can they?
-Shree
Brahmin ommachis are officially vegetarian...they eat eggs and non vegetarian food on the sly only, plus we have bird flu troubles...Jesus and Allah and such gods will not mind cake..
Shree, idols can put on kilos though (but only if they want to). There's a Ganesha carved into a temple pillar near Bangalore Medical College that's rumored to grow more rotund with each passing year.
gds, double standards have permeated all the way to the top, eh?
No, no, you are getting it all wrong. God wants Pongal bcos it's Pongal. Now if you had a festival called Pound Cake..
lekhni, that makes perfect sense :) I think it's time to update these festivals and modify the theme a little. I see visions of Chocolate festival, Ice cream festival, Halwa festival, Dry fruit festival, etc.
Exactly :) I love the idea of a Chocolate festival. I can bake a really rich chocolate cake and eat it guilt-free then :)
Post a Comment