I’m not sure what mom minded more on her vacation: (a.) the California chill or (b.) wiping down public restrooms on Interstate 5 for her daughter’s benefit.
In a drive that spanned a few thousand miles last week, mom made the acquaintance of just about every McDonald’s restroom in the state of California, and she has stomach-heaving memories of unflushed toilets to prove it.
Even the women’s toilet at the Shiva – Vishnu temple in Livermore could not rival some of the sights she encountered on the drive, and mom made a vow to fly the next time instead of driving with a child who likes to drink on the road.
“You wouldn’t believe how filthy the restroom was,” mom would comment to dad after each visit, proceeding to graphically describe her experience in a misguided attempt to share all aspects of her life with him.
When she wasn’t complaining about the state of the toilets, mom complained about the bitter cold in the Bay Area.
The winds howled outside her uncle’s home while she huddled under layers of thermal wear. Generously helping herself to the goodies her aunt had baked, mom eagerly listened to family gossip and hugged the electric heater for comfort.
In fact, were it not for the superlative hospitality of her uncle and aunt and the warmth of family members gathered for a reunion, mom would have moped on the entire trip and held poor dad responsible for the inclement weather.
As it is, she half-blamed him for the complete lack of vegetarian fare on Fisherman’s Wharf and, worse, for not instinctively knowing where Ghirardelli Square was located.
“But you’ve been here before. How can you not know where it is?” she cried, conveniently overlooking the fact that she had accompanied him on the last occasion.
Dragging her extremely reluctant family by hand, mom eventually found the famed store after asking a passing firefighter for help.
By the time they stood in line with fellow desis and fought their way through the crowds, the hot cocoa had grown tepid and the giant chocolate chip cookie in their sundae needed a sledgehammer to be cracked into bite-sized pieces.
“So, why is this place so famous?” asked grandpa, as they walked back into the cold, unsated. “I still think nothing compares to our Indian ice creams.”
For once, mom readily agreed with him.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
The testy tourist
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
ah terri...
you were here when we were driving a few hundred miles to santa barbara and back..
next time you are here, let us know.. would like to meet you folks.
:)
sundar, I thought about you and all the others from California who visit here regularly. I wouldn't have been surprised if I had bumped into you somewhere because every second person on the trip seemed to be Indian. Next to New Jersey, I've never seen so many Indians outside India!
Bloggers meet in the Bay Area next time.
Terri: Amen to the cold weather! Even in SD/LA area. Was disappointing as hell.
We did the Giraredelli thingy too in SD. But luckily everything tasted just perfect. Some comfort :)
U know weirdly, SD/LA didnt have that many desis, apart from Bhims place.. not that am complaining ;)
Aha! But Terri, I thought you had experienced cold in Canada. It shouldnt have been that bad!
But somehow, I am not sure why, this post makes me smile .... (Maybe its just friday!)
rads, LA on Jan. 2 was so warm, I wanted to peel all the layers off and dance a jig in the hotel parking lot. We even turned the air conditioning on in the car.
pilgrim, the cold's the reason I don't live in Canada or on the east coast. I'm smiling too, but it only kicks in on the way home on Fridays.
Terri, you could have the entire family wear diapers next time.
Happy new year, Terri! Today in the SD/LA area, the sun's warm and shiny and we've been sitting in our backyard soaking some... :))
lakshmi, sometimes I wish the little one was still in diapers. It happened again today, at a restaurant. She had to go five minutes after we left home.
muser, it's 68 here also today. Mom only wore two layers and didn't embarrass the family by wearing gloves.
sounds like good fun with your family....how about a good blog as a movie? (i see u not happy abt books into movies)..me and my film making budhi...
It's bad enough when rest areas off the highway are dirty, but I hate it when the restrooms in temples are dirty. Then I cannot blame anyone else except my fellow Indians.. Somehow it seems to reflect on how little we care about public property :(
1$, that's a million dollar idea. Know of any good blogs? ;)
lekhni, I agree. As the cliche goes, "You can take an Indian out of India, but ..."
Oh talk about cleaning the public restrooms for ourkids - I've done plenty of that too.
As always, this post too had me laughing through and through.
You have a way of effortlessly infusing humour into everything you write.
Keep em coming ....
gauri, thank you for the kind words. I'm shuddering at the thought of using public restrooms in India. I have to buy a purse big enough to hold a roll of toilet paper.
Post a Comment