Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Suitable House

Somewhat like a storybook princess who has to kiss a series of toads before she finds Prince Charming, my humans have finally found a home after three weeks of intense searching.

In their quest for a suitable home to rent, they discovered that family, friends, random strangers and their chitappas all had an opinion on where to rent, what to rent, and how much their co-brother is paying for 800 square feet on the other side of town.

“Don’t go with brokers. They’re a waste of money. Just look at the classifieds in the newspaper,” said some.

“I’ll ask my istri-wallah. He has contacts in all the right places,” offered others.

“Don't worry, I’m going to Tirupathi next week and will pray that you find a home soon,” said grandpa, willing to disturb the Almighty for such a flimsy reason.

Meanwhile, based on recommendations, mom scoured newspaper ads, online sites and relentlessly followed slim leads that led nowhere.

“Can you e-mail me pictures of the property?” she’d ask over the phone, since dad refused to give up his afternoon naps and drive around town based on a cursory description.

“Sorry, madam, owner doesn’t want property photos posted online,” said brokers, most of whom were only interested in entertaining company leases.

“I’ve mentioned your specifications to my neighbor whose son is in New Jersey,” said an uncle. “He has promised to keep an eye out for you.”

“New Jersey? But we want to rent in Chennai,” said the humans.

“Yes, yes, I know,” said uncle, shaking his head in a figure eight. “You see, my neighbor’s son has a friend in Bombay whose uncle in Mysore has a friend who just moved to Bangalore. His wife is working as a director for an NGO in Ahmedabad. Her mother lives with her son in Delhi, and has another daughter in Tennessee and one more son in Dehradun ….”

By the end of the narrative my humans forgot which city they were looking for a home in and silently nodded to everything uncle said.

“Surely, this city has a house somewhere with our name on it,” mom would sigh with each passing day.

“Don’t live near the beach,” advised grandma over the phone. “Things rust very quickly.”

“Ma, the whole city's by the beach. Besides, you’ve never lived in a coastal area.”

“It doesn’t matter. That’s what I’ve heard.”

After listening to earfuls of advice from people to “look in this neighborhood, there’s a big temple around the corner,” and “don’t even consider that neighborhood, there’s no Reliance Fresh store nearby,” the humans finally found a suitable home by the (gasp!) beach through (double gasp!) a realty company.

“But what will you do if there’s a tsunami?” asked grandpa, as soon as he heard about the sea breeze setting in at 4 p.m. everyday.

Er … anybody know of local swimming classes mom can enrol in?

19 comments:

WaitingforSunshine said...

Glad to hear that you have finally got a house and that too near Sea to boot !! Congratz.

Anonymous said...

wow! thats grt! guess u'l are settling in pretty well...how are the kids liking school? H.W and uniforms working for them?!!
keep bloggin...
:)
Gau

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Welcome home, finally.
I can't wait to visit mom, mostly to say hi to you in particular, Terri. I hope you would treat me gently, I have a phobia for anything not human - illogical, but true.

Anonymous said...

Goody! :)
So you have a beach house eh? :P I am coming to stay with you my next trip, like it or not. Oh, I LOVE dogs, so no scare there like Lakshmi ;-)

Rads

Anonymous said...

Congrats and I'm Jealous! yes things do rust quickly when you live near the sea, but it doesn't matter.

Terri the terrific said...

First off, it's NOT a beach house, people. It's walking distance from a strip of sand, that's all!

Terri the terrific said...

mg, why be jealous? I thought you're coming to stay.

rads, you most certainly can. You can win my heart with a bag of rawhide bones.

lakshmi, as soon as mom learns to operate her gas stove, she'll have you over for a meal. She's afraid of the darn thing exploding in her face.

gau, it still feels like a vacation, but we're slowly settling down now. Thanks.

Terri the terrific said...

waiting, thanks. Key word is "by the sea," not "on the beach". If you ask me, the whole city is by the sea.

Sands said...

Hi Terri, Glad you found the house in the neighborhood you were interested in. Can't wait to come see it. Is the old phone number is service now?

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri

Love mom's antics!

Nice to hear you have found a house.

The part about the tsunami made me grin ear-to-ear.

A Muser said...

Dang, no beach house? Here I was envisioning mom in a bikini... Well, hopefully Terri likes the strip of sand to jog on and do his business.

Anonymous said...

terri:

"Somewhat like a storybook princess who has to kiss a series of toads ... willing to disturb the Almighty for such a flimsy reason."

any tambram (or any other one for that matter) grandpa would rather invoke the deity rather than let his kin go around kissing toads (or toadies!). grandpa being who he is, he probably has the hotline to lord venkateshwara.

"... family, friends, random strangers and their chitappas all had an opinion on where to rent, what to rent ..."

what? none from your 2.5 million (minus one, i.e., yours truly) readers? ;-)

"mom scoured newspaper ads, online sites and relentlessly followed slim leads that led nowhere."

what sort of a man is your dad? he should've followed the slim leads himself, let mom deal with the fat chances, and left anu and kuki chasing wild fowl.

"“Surely, this city has a house somewhere with our name on it,” mom would sigh with each passing day."

huh? i thought you just left such a place (check your e-mail and put the picture up if you want to, since i don't think commentators can include photos just yet, either on blogger or wordpress!)

"Er … anybody know of local swimming classes mom can enrol in?"

calling "everybody and his/her chitappa" ... someone help terri's mom! ;-)

"“Things rust very quickly.”"

don't worry - rusted stuff will remind you of your ancestral environs (in colour, not anything else)!

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

so long beachside walks for Terri eh? cool!

Terri the terrific said...

desigirl, it only sounds romantic. The beach and environs is full of stray dogs who seem bent on defending their territory. Mom has to invest in a wooden rod when we venture out.

s.b., you're back after getting a tan? I checked my e-mail, there's nothing there. Did you get a picture of my humble abode where I spent my days in the fond company of my mistress? My nondescript suburb might become as famous as Stratford-upon-Avon at this rate.

muser, mom in a bikini? For the good of mankind, let's keep her under wraps.

Anu, are you the same Anu I used to know? In that case, you're most definitely invited to stay with us the next time you and the family are in town.

sands, you too. Come on over! Yes, same phone number.

Sue said...

LOL! Bloggers will meet in Madras next month, when I'm over. Want me to let you know? Drop me a line on the email with your number if you like. Would be a pleasure to meet you. (And mum and the rest of the gang too, I'm sure.)

Terri the terrific said...

sue, sounds like fun, even though I might be the oldest member there.

Anonymous said...

I am responding late - as I had been away on a trip.

Nope, unfortunately I am not that Anu - though I would love to know you in person:-))

dipali said...

I'm so glad you've find a place. House hunting is a subject I am often tempted to blog about:)
Enjoy the sea breezes, Terri and family.
you make me nostalgic for good old Chennai:)

Terri the terrific said...

Anu, you're not missing much as a stranger. If you notice, mostly people I've never met leave comments here.

dipali, do tell. I'm sure you have some wild stories.