Monday, July 28, 2008

Doodh ka Karz

“I don’t understand why we have to boil milk everyday,” says mom, as she rinses the sand and grime from the plastic milk sachets that the milk vendor drops on our doorstep every morning. “Why can’t we just use it as is?”

“I’m not sure it’s safe to drink without boiling first,” says dad, busy pouring decoction for his morning coffee.

“But it clearly says ‘pasteurized’,” points out mom. “Don’t you think this is a sheer waste of time?” Snipping off a small triangle of plastic, mom watches in dismay as creamy milk gushes out and splatters on the black kitchen countertop.

“You can’t be too cautious here,” says dad, before finally admitting, “I need boiled milk for my coffee.”

In the last few weeks, the humans have started their day standing in front a hot stove, paying obeisance to a vessel of milk instead of their kuldevta. Despite their best efforts to not let the milk boil over, they have scalded, spilled, dropped, spoiled and wasted enough milk to nourish a calf.

“Have you picked a date to boil milk yet?” was the first question people had asked them before they moved into their rental home.

“Er … we’ll move in as soon as our new refrigerator arrives,” said mom.

“Yes, yes, that’s OK. But when are you boiling milk? Aadi maasam is around the corner, you know?”

“Like I said, we’re just waiting for a call from the refrigerator guy,” explained mom to shocked onlookers.

“Are you out of your minds?” grandpa had thundered. “Nobody moves into a new home without boiling milk first. It’s extremely inauspicious.”

“But we never boiled milk in the U.S., and we lived very happily for 12 ½ years,” said mom.

“That doesn’t matter,” roared grandpa furiously. “This is India. You have to follow tradition here. In fact, today is a muhurtham naal … very auspicious for boiling milk.”

“But we don’t have a gas connection yet,” protested mom. “In fact, we don’t even have the house keys. The owners are out of town.”

A compromise was reached after tempers flared like angry mustard seeds dropped in hot oil, and bottled badam-flavored milk from Aavin was consumed under the scorching sun in front of a locked house.

With the arrival of a refrigerator, the humans have started freezing excess milk - a practice that struck mom as rather odd at first - but is now seen as a blessing, given the rate at which milk in this house boileth over.

Last week, as she stood scouring another charred pot at the sink, mom decided to take life in her own hands. That evening, as soon as dad returned home, she announced triumphantly, “Guess what? I drank raw milk today, and I’m still alive. See?" Upon receiving no response, she persisted, "No loose motion either. Good, no?”

The man did not even bother to dignify the question with a reaction.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drinking badam milk outside a locked house qualifies as "boiling milk" ? :) Who knew?

We want to hear more of such innovative workarounds !

Shrijit said...

Yes, the milk is indeed pasteurised. However, there have been reports (urban legends? maybe not without basis) of adulteration occurring en route to you via syringes used to suck out milk and add in water, which the adulterers are not finicky about purifying. I've drunk milk straight out of packets too, and nothing serious happened to me. But I tend to mix up my sybballes sotemimes.

mummyjaan said...

Love your colourful writing :).

"tempers flared like angry mustard seeds dropped in hot oil".

anantha said...

Ummm.. microwave?

Terri the terrific said...

anantha, we tried to make yoghurt by boiling milk in the microwave. Now we know why homemade yoghurt in the U.S. had the consistency of mucous.

mummyjaan, why thank you!

shrijit, if I disappear from the blog scene, you'll know why.

lekhni, we've learned everything can be adjust maadi-ed here.

anantha said...

Okie... Another angle - milk cooker? :D

Anonymous said...

terri:

"mom watches in dismay as creamy milk gushes out and splatters on the black kitchen countertop."

i can already see mom having second (two hundredth?) thoughts about renting out that house in you-yes!

"... paying obeisance to a vessel of milk instead of their kuldevta ..."

for the next time you wonder why your humans pray to milk, here is the reason why!

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

terri:

"lekhni, we've learned everything can be adjust maadi-ed here."

i want to see you celebrate deepavali on the weekend nearest to amavasya!! that level of adjustment can be maadied wonly in the you yes wonly!

mummyjaan:

terri's writing is certainly hot (with or without references to scalding oil or milk)!! ;-)

- s.b.

A Muser said...

Heheheh, Terri! Love to read mom's dealings with everyday life in des. Boiling milk worthy of a blog post -- who knew?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,

Boil milk in a large enough container (ie 1/2L milk in a 1L or bigger container) and keep the flame to the lowest. Milk will just keep boiling and not spill over. I assume you will be in the vicinity to shut the flame, otherwise the whole milk will just evaporate!

-SAHM

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this will actually work but I once heard on some show that if you put a soda bottle cap (like a coca cola cap, i guess? washed thoroughly but of course!) into the pan with the milk, it won't boil over. tell me if that works coz i'm curious and i don;t need to boil my milk.

Alternatively, you might try buying milk in a tetra pak. I recommend Nandini because that's the one I used to buy when I was a wee lass living on my own. It's very yummy, but high fat and available at supermarkets I bet.

Also, congratulations - you're the only person I know who's as lazy as I am! :P

Anonymous said...

haa! I had to comment on this one.

First thing is, you are exactly on the right track in terms of moving-to-india experiences!! :-). I used to wonder how milk boils over so quickly here (gas stove) whereas i was used to finishing up my half hour morning routine and still the most that would have happened was the milk would have a layer of cream after being simmered on the (electric) stove in the US!! I used milk cooker for a year after moving here or so to avoid spillovers. It will also serve as an alarm to wake up atleast people in your apartment block! These cookers get used up and non-functional after 8 months of usage. After going through a couple of them, i have graduated to boiling milk in a regular vessel but i am always around in the kitchen (limiting my multi-tasking to any work only in the kitchen) when there is milk put on the stove.

Secondly, my children do not like boiled milk at all and they were used to drinking cold milk in the US!! First couple of months,they would drink some kind of boost/bournvita with LOT of reluctance and irregularity. After three months, they moved to drinking unboiled milk straight from the packet given that is is pastuerized. My children have been drinking (raw milk as some would like to say although it is pastuerized and my kids call it chill paal) two times a day for the past 2+ years and they are growing fine. I use cold milk (unboiled) for my cereal. So i would think that after your body gets used to the new environment (a few months), it is possible to have unboiled milk if it suits you and you like it. Where we do not find pastuerized milk available (rare places where a milk man delivers fresh milk from the cow), they drink boiled milk or skip milk if no alternatives(like flavored bottled milk which is cold) are available at all.

Milk boiling still goes on for any mixed beverage like coffee, tea or horlicks.

This gripe is something you will invent a way to overcome easily!
keep chugging along!!

- Shree

Terri the terrific said...

Anantha, see Shree’s comment. Milk cooker doesn’t sound very popular.

s.b., couldn’t open link. And that house in you-yes is still waiting for a tenant to come along. Maybe there’s a good reason why it’s still empty.

Muser, that’s why we moved here. There’s only so much one can write about potlucks in videsh (heck, I miss ‘em now).

SAHM, but why boil milk in the first place?

Amrita, tetrapak costs A LOT more. I presume the above trick is with a metal cap and not a plastic one? Just asking on behalf of others not as lazy as us.

Shree, there’s a track of moving to India experiences?!! What’s next on the track, I wonder.

Ladies, has anybody successfully made yoghurt without boiling milk first? (Oh, god, this blog is starting to sound like Eve's Weekly.)

Anonymous said...

"Despite their best efforts to not let the milk boil over, they have scalded, spilled, dropped, spoiled and wasted enough milk to nourish a calf."

So, mom has arrived.

BTW, doesn't unboiled Aavin milk taste yuck? Just curious.

Terri the terrific said...

L, all milk that isn't artificially flavored with sugar, food coloring and other additives, and subsequently frozen, tastes yuck.

Meira said...

ha ha ha ! Well , I can part relate...just moved out of parents' place. Have to cook, clean, keep house...and oh, go work as well!

You write well :)

anantha said...

I can vouch for the loud whistle waking up people part, but I am not so sure about the 8 month life of the cooker. I still stand by it :D

Anonymous said...

Terri's mom,

frequent reader, first time commenter...hilarious blog.

AFAIK, no you cannot make curd without boiling milk...and half-boiled milk makes runny curds, as you found out.

M

Terri the terrific said...

meira, and to think we have to do all this and more for the rest of our lifetime.

anantha, are you boiling milk in the U.S.?

M, so there's no happy medium other than buying yoghurt, eh?

Anonymous said...

about the milk cooker, anantha could be right that it is maintained well in his case. I definitely do not take the stand that milk cookers do not work.

That idea worked with me for 2 years. I probably bought not so good quality milk cookers (or worse, cook in the house may have boiled milk without the requisite amount of water in the bottom) resulting in handles becoming loose, the whistle part coming loose etc., It was still in usable condition with the above mentioned drawbacks when i discarded them. It would be good to get a good quality milk cooker if boiling milk is giving you a VERY hard time!!

Yoghurt without boiling milk? please patent it!

- Shree

Anonymous said...

Ah I missed this one:

"And that house in you-yes is still waiting for a tenant to come along. Maybe there’s a good reason why it’s still empty."

Umm.. don't you think boiling milk is a rather flimsy reason to go back? Geckos, well, THERE you could have a point.. but milk?

Anonymous said...

Lakshmi, taste is a very personal choice. Yes, unboiled aavin milk could taste yuck if it tastes yuck on your taste buds!!

Terri's mom: Next step on the track is to hire a cook/driver/kids-caretaker and see what you discover! Traffic could be there for some RNRIs. Did you not have any issues with gas connection, household appliances delivery? :-). You have just started!

- Shree

Anonymous said...

Terri's mom- you are hilarious. I love your style of writing.

Re-Are you boiling milk in the USA question.

I hope I can provide you with some insight, I can't speak for others but I can certainly speak for my mom.... to this day she will NOT drink cold milk- she may drink cold chocolate milk- but regular milk is consumed in the form of tea or coffee. If someone is ill- maybe with horlicks, otherwise it is boiled and has several spoons of sugar in it.

I believe my mother left Sl a good 26-27 years ago. She lived in Switzerland which is famous for their dairy and even there, she boiled and now we've lived in Canada for about 16 years, same thing. :D

In fact I know many kids my age who who grew up eating cereal with boiled milk-* No suprise, I have an aversion to cereal* Lol.

BangaloreMom said...

LOL TM!!

You are so hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

Milk tastes yuck?! Clearly you've been drinking the wrong sort of milk! AFAI remember a packet of Nandini's (?) cost about 9 bucks and my parents pay about 8 for a packet of "normal" milk. I think you're thinking of the milk they sell in cartons which costs something ridiculous like 30 bucks, while I'm thinking of this other thing that's sold by the Karnataka govt rather than a private company and it sort of resembles a milk packet.

Am I the only one on this board who's ever bought this?!

Erm, I would suppose its metal cap. I mean, plastic would melt wouldn't it?

Anonymous said...

me: "for the next time you wonder why your humans pray to milk, here is the reason why"

terri: "s.b., couldn’t open link."

forgot to respond to this one - it was a link to a recording of sudha raghunathan singing 'ksheera saagara vihaaraa' @musicindiaonline. i'm sure you folks hear it from one of the neighbouring houses once in a while ... and don't need the broadband for it!

- s.b.

p.s.: the link still works for me - don't understand the issue.

Anonymous said...

Terri,

Ask mom to nuke the milk in a pyrex bowl until it almost froths over - about 8 minutes for 3 cups. Allow to cool to luke warm and make yogurt as usual. Put it in the fridge after it sets (when the whey shows up)and you get very good yogurt that is not runny. It works in California, should work in Chennai.

I am so loving your posts.

- SN

dipali said...

:) I love unboiled milk too, Terri.
My sympathies at Mom's travails.

Anonymous said...

Hi terr,
Miss you, your mom and your fun family here in the US. Couple of messages for your mom: Please check your email and belated happy birthday

Terri the terrific said...

anon, thank you, but my inbox is empty.

dipali, it's not the taste I have a problem with, but the procedure.

SN, we tried that before writing this post. Mom had to consume the yoghurt for the next three days; it was so phlegmy.

s.b., angrezi translation, please.

Am, bhala Nandini cows Aavin cows se behatar kaise? Sacrilege, I say!

bm, thank you.

Terri the terrific said...

sivajini, is your mom doing it for the taste or an inbuilt fear that the milk isn't hygienic unless it's been through the procedure?

Shree, surprisingly gas connection and appliance delivery went without a hitch.

lakshmi, of course it's the geckos that are driving me back. I'm so glad somebody understands.

Shree, I have stumbled upon the perfect solution for the milk problem - visiting grandmas (who also make coffee).

Anonymous said...

As someone who consumes vast quantities of milk and curd, and has lived in and Chennai, Bangalore and phoren lands where boiling milk is unheard of, let me offer my 2 cents worth:

1. Clean the outside of the Aavin packet before pouring and then drink contents unboiled. Tried and tested with no fatalities. The outside is filthy - if the milk comes in contact with it, then I am not responsible for the consequences.

2. Curd made from Aavin milk is always weird. The phlegmyness is not to do with how it is boiled/microwaved etc., but an inherent quality of Aavin milk. Doesn't happen with Nandini milk or tetrapak long-life milk.

3. Nandini is the Aavin equivalent in K'taka. You won't find Nandini tetrapaks in Chennai. You may find overpriced Aavin tertapaks from which you can drink directly, but cannot make curd as it homogenised. Well you *can* but it looks and tastes nothing like regular curd.

4. Buy Amul or Nestle curd. These days you get 1 kg tubs, not only the (often inadequate) 500 g ones.

5. With regular packet-paal, you don't need to boil it to make curd, just warm for a minute or two in the mwave.

There! A whole treatise on milk and curd in Madras!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri's Mom! I think I have a reasonably good solution -- palm off the milk boiling chore on Dad. It's so simple that even men can do it. Also, since they make no attempt at multi-tasking, least of all in the kitchen, the peril of milk boiling over is taken care of. For decent curds, you can try Arokya. It's thicker than Aavin curd.

Terri the terrific said...

varali, thank you. My head is spinning now. I want to go vegan.

inbavalli, you're right about the multi-taking part, but I'm not sure about the milk boiling part. The sports page tends to distract one, especially while standing in front of the stove.

Anonymous said...

terri:

"The sports page tends to distract one,..."

so ... does dad follow brett favre's travels via the newspaper? or is it more local stuff, such as the third test match? or is he captivated by the (new) perfect 17s of the olympics?

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., we think sports page is good for wiping one's backside in the absence of toilet paper, so sorry, no clue what dad sees in it.

Anonymous said...

terri:

water shortage or toilet paper shortage. in madras, which is more acute?

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., no shortage of either, but cannot vouch for quality of both. There's a reason Indians use water - the toilet paper is rough enough to cause abrasions to sensitive parts.