Friday, August 08, 2008

All bark but no bite

Now mom is usually the last person who would wish harm on a dog. She only has trouble with people and four-legged reptiles, but ever since we moved in, she’s been wishing the dog next door would die.

“That’s the best thing that can happen to him,” she thinks, choking back tears and going about her business as she listens to him bark incessantly from morning to night.

Chained to his front gate or the front door seven days a week, the overgrown pup pleads with his human masters for interaction that they’re far too busy and irresponsible to bestow on him.

Mom has come to recognize his moods from the tone of his voice so well in the past month that she can do an accelerated PhD. on the subject and pass with flying colors.

“I would’ve called the cops on that family if we were in the U.S.,” she mutters, as she watches the honey-eyed thoroughbred tip his steel feeding bowl, throw it in the air like a tennis ball and jump to retrieve it until his choke chain drags him back to his concrete post. With canine optimism, he looks at his drawing room window and barks to be let inside, wagging his tail furiously even as his masters throw curses at him to shut up from inside the house.

“Lesson no. 1,” mom tells her children, “never, EVER tie a dog. That’s the best way to break his spirit.”

“But what if he bites?” they ask.

“Tie a dog up and he’s sure to become a biter,” explains mom, a fact most dog owners in India seem to be unaware of.

Complaining to the dog owners is out of the question. Recent additions to the neighborhood, mom does not wish to piss them off, especially since their home is within spitting distance of ours.

Instead, she and her little one have befriended the puppy. Every time they step out of the gate, Kuki runs up to him, and mother and daughter reach through the iron bars and stroke his soft fur.

Curling their nose against the acidic stench of urine, they whisper in his ear and smile as he arches his head and rubs his wet nose against their hands, softly licking the fingers that pet him.

“What, you never came to see him yesterday?” their maid asked, as she stood at the gate this morning.

“What don’t you ever untie him?” asked grandma, unable to control herself. A pool of mush when it comes to pets, she and grandpa have passed on their crazy genes to their daughter, who’s trying her level best to pass on the same to her children.

“Well, the workers are here,” replied the maid, pointing to the renovation in the house. “I’ll untie him after they leave.”

Exactly 12 hours later, after rupturing the entire neighborhood’s ear drums, the parched dog finally stopped barking and settled in for the night, still chained to the same spot.

“Can we take him home, Amma?” asks the little one, posing a similar question every time she spies a stray dog on the street or a scrawny cat scaling a wall.

Mom smiles at her daughter indulgently - it’s a sentiment she knows all too well.

18 comments:

noon said...

Ter - I am always smiling with your witty posts - but this one made me choke...feel so sorry for the poor dog. Can't you tell the owner something? Why do such idiots have dogs - why do they need one really?
I mean I would never have any pets at home - but it's also because I know I just cannot take good care of pets at home...but if I did have one I would not do this to the poor dog. Just so sad...and your daughter's response is so sweet...much as I am afraid of dogs I sincerely hope I don't pass it on to my children...I never used to be this way - used to play with dogs and cats all the time as a child...I really want them to be comfortable around pets and know how to love and care for animals...KB's favorite book now is "The pet vet". :)

Terri the terrific said...

noon, what to do? I fail to see the humor in this situation. :(

Anonymous said...

http://www.madrasspca.org/awbi.htm
Ask them if you can make a complaint without being named or something.

A Muser said...

Morons! There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to describe those people. They should be shot. Or at the very least, tied up with a chain around their necks for a few hours. So frustrating. Hope the madras spca link that mumbaigirl forwarded helps.

Anonymous said...

That is CRUEL !!!!

Had a similar problem with one of our neighbours who used to tie 2 dobbermans with a short leash.. the poor things would get choked.

We complained to PETA and they came and told them to either keep the dogs free inside the compound or face action.

They did set the dogs free...

Anonymous said...

This is awful.

Pets need as much devotion and dedication as your own children, and if you are not willing to give it, then you just should not have pets. Even if they are just fish in a tank - bah.

I'm not exactly the epitome of an animal lover, but pets are not dumb stuffed toys! They have lives, for God's sakes...
(Gagging self to stop rant)

ano

Terri the terrific said...

vijay, it's heartening to note that PETA/something in India works! Were you able to complain anonymously?

All, since I wrote this post, I'm glad to say the dog's barking has been minimal. Maybe because it was the weekend, the workers weren't working, and the dog was untied to pace around. We have noticed that because of our interaction, the owners are being a tad nicer to the dog - their kids pet him, and our playdate friends go over to say hello as well **fingers and paws crossed hoping this good streak lasts.**

Thanks for the address, mg. I'll shoot them an e-mail because the procedure on the Web site is enough to put one off.

Harini Sridharan said...

Awwww.... my heart goes out to the poor dog and your family who have to see the dog suffer. Why have pets when they can't do justice to having one? Maybe you can smuggle the dog some day and make him a part of your family :)

Anonymous said...

Terri... yes can happen annonymously...

Anonymous said...

aargh, these procedures are always so difficult. I hope they have a telephone hotline

dipali said...

Heartbreaking, Terri. I've often wondered why so many people keep dogs in such a cruel fashion. Bah. All the best with the SPCA/PETA etc.

Anonymous said...

You know, Terri, no offense, but I am against even keeping pets, believing that all beings, big or small, were born to be free. But this just breaks my heart. This is not even pet abuse. It is living-right violation.
Perhaps mom can file an anonymous complaint at the blue cross ?

Anonymous said...

Ah, I did not read your later comment, Terri. Good to know that the dog is treated better now.

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, I agree. If only we could live in a world without traffic, we could let our pets roam free. Confinement of any kind is cruel.

Harini, part of our family? You want long-suffering dad to run away?

Anonymous said...

The one time that Tara had to be confined on our journey from Texas to NJ in her crate(in the aircraft0I cried buckets and got many querying looks, but to be confined day in and day out....dunno feel like the owner should tie himself en famile to see what it feels like.

Anonymous said...

terri
i know mum can't call thepolice in chennai but maybe the SPCA or PFA can help? I once called them about the dog next door and they came and read the riot act to the owners.

http://www.pfachennai.org/index.php?page=contactus

SPCA - 91-44-2561 1628

Terri the terrific said...

deepa, I was confined for the first time in a crate on an overseas trip. I think mom hated it more than I did, and has vowed not to put me through it again.

dg, wow! I didn't think people responded here. Thanks for the info!

I'm having second thoughts about this post now because the workers have stopped coming, so the dog's untied in the compound. We only hear him at 11 p.m. when he begs to be let inside. (Gasp! I wonder if the owners read this blog.)

Anonymous said...

That shld have been step 1 - in future, leave your blog URL for the offenders to chance upon!!!

Nah seriously, one of my college friends volunteered with PFA and they were some fantastic folk in there. You get apathy from most of these sort of organisations, mainly as a defense against the crap they see done to the poor animals. May be you could join the PFA??!!! That'll be good, won't it? :D