Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mumbai se aayi ek dost

Some people bring out their best china when company’s expected. Others fill the house with fresh flowers and arrange potpourri in the bathroom.

Mom decided mumbaigirl would be most impressed when she visited if I took a bath.

“She’s coming all the way to meet you, Terri,” justified mom, tying me to the front gate and pouring slimy neem-based shampoo on my back.

“Friend coming over aa? What friend?” grandma wanted to know.

“Just someone I know,” replied mom vaguely.

“How do you know this person?” persisted grandma.

Amma met her online,” offered the kids helpfully.

“No, it’s not Lakshmi,” said mom quickly, anticipating the next question. “It’s someone called mumbaigirl.”

“Oh, mumbaigirl, aa?" said maternal and paternal grandma together. "I’ve seen her name online.”

“Yikes!” panicked mom, wondering if she should ask mg to meet her at the closest Coffee Day instead.

“She writes well,” one of them said. Whew! (They probably hadn’t read her period post – one that reeled me in and made me an avowed fan.)

I looked no different after my bath (I never do), and mg doesn’t seem like the kind of person who cares much for canine good looks, but I greeted her politely when she arrived. She had travelled a great distance to meet me, subjecting herself to the chaotic Chennai traffic and searing heat.

Since most people who visit us fall in the 55+ age group, it was most refreshing to meet someone who was born in the same decade as mom.

As fair-skinned as the white salwar she was wearing, petite mg, who is blessed with a waist that can be cupped in one hand, arrived to a flurry of activity in the kitchen. Both grandmas, unmindful of the humidity, were busy preparing a feast for Lord Krishna’s birthday.

“No, you can’t touch,” said grandma, slapping away mom’s hand from a hot vadai. “You’ll have to wait until the puja’s done.” Since she couldn’t stay that long, mg was treated to the next best thing – Grand Snacks and Sweets fare, along with sugarless tea (at her insistence).

Mom asked after the London bloggers, a group of women she’s most envious of, since they seem to have forged a bond and a support system. “You should’ve moved to London,” said mg, a tempting proposition, given that mom is ready to jump on the next jet plane to the closest lizard-free land.

Much to mom's relief, mg's visit ended without the children misbehaving. The five-year-old is usually at her worst self when she has an audience, and our visitor was spared awkward questions, such as the one directed at the landlady the other day, “Paati, why do you have so many holes in your mouth?”

It was while the family was seated at dinner a few hours later and licking the last of moru kozhambu off their plates that grandma made reference to mg's remark about her aunt fasting until midnight in honor of Lord Krishna.

“Look at these north Indians,” remarked grandma. “They’re so strict about observing their fast. All we do is feast.”

Mom silently thanked the gods as she stuffed another homemade appam in her mouth and picked crumbs of rava laddu off her plate.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, nice! you people in India, too much, meeting and eating cheedais, murukkus and all. *sniff

Rads

anantha said...

Ayyo.. mom ties you up to give you a bath a? That's what my mom threatened to do one day when I was in India last year when I failed to take a bath before Chockkamma came in. Sad that you have to face the same threat and she actually follows up on it.

Anonymous said...

terri:

“Paati, why do you have so many holes in your mouth?”

that's easily answered* :"if you are a well-behaved kid, tooth fairy puts dollars (or rupees) under your pillow; else, tooth fairy extracts an extra tooth from your mouth (and, needless to say, leaves no change lying around either)."

“It’s someone called mumbaigirl.”

that's it; i now dare not visit your household. what would paati will think if mom says "it's someone who thinks he's some body!"

rads:

at least she doesn't get authentic bhel there either ;-). *grasping for straws*

- s.b.

* = mom would need to ensure that paati (i.e. landlady) and princess never meet again! :-)

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., here's how the conversation might proceed before you visit:

Grandma: "Friend's visiting, aa? Who is it?"

Mom: "Somebody."

Grandma: "That's what I'm asking. Who is it?"

Mom: "Somebody."

Grandma: "What insolence! Why can't you tell me who it is?"

Mom: "It's somebody!"

Grandma: "What do you mean somebody? Is this how you show respect to your elders? That's why your children also answer "Because" when I ask them something. Why did I even come here? I'm packing my bags and going home."

Mom: "His name is somebody!"

Grandma: "It's a man, aa? Online friend, aa? What is this? Appa will not like it one bit. Does your husband know?"

s.b., at this rate you might have to get the missus and kids along as proof of respectability.

Terri the terrific said...

anantha, it sounds as though your mom still treats you like a kutti Krishna.

rads, did I miss mentioning the coconut barfi, ohmapudi, and other goodies pakkathu aathu maami brought us? We're already salivating wondering what Diwali will have in store for us.

Anonymous said...

Terri-you smelled lovely and I was very grateful for your licks. I have a dog shaped hole in my heart.

Tell mom her kids are fantastic and extremely well behaved, affectionate and polite.

Re the aunt: The fast wasn't a complete fast! She ate fruit for dinner. And she doesn't think of herself as North Indian, being Maharashtrian. On being informed of the grandmas' cooking some admiring words were said on Tamilians efforts at such things.

To think mom knew my real name and announced mg was coming!

As for the period post-now the grandmas know don't they? Will I ever be able to come back to visit?
Please thank them for their warm hospitality.

Terri you and your humans have such beautiful eyes, mom's being the most heartbreaking of the lot, I wanted to kidnap the lot of you.

Terri the terrific said...

mg (yes, we know your real name, but we think of you as mg only), it's good to know my bath wasn't in vain. BTW, I smell like my old self again, and somehow mom also prefers it.

And neki aur pooch pooch? Of course you're allowed to come back. You're the first visitor who didn't ask about the rent!

Anonymous said...

Isnt MG lovely. Infact Telegraph had on on post on Asians not being fond of dogs and i did imm think of mom and MG. Such any unfair generalisation.

Hope the Grandmoms sent the rest of us some seedai via MG.

Terri the terrific said...

wa, we would've sent cheedai-murukku had any been left. Can you send some English weather here? We could use it.

anantha said...

anantha, it sounds as though your mom still treats you like a kutti Krishna.

Au contraire, one's treated like a second class citizen. To be fair, when Chockkamma's arrival is imminent, everyone else is treated the same way.

Mystic Margarita said...

You have an award waiting for you on my blog!

Anonymous said...

So when mom was growing up, did grandma impose the boy-girl no talk?

or is the online thingy?

I got the question was after reading the whole sb visiting terri land conversation.
-Sachita

Anonymous said...

Now that I'm out of London, I realise what a good thing I had going there, in terms of friends.
Anyone nice in Calgary - please contact me. Must not be psycho. or homophobic.

Or terri, why don't you convince mom to move here?

noon said...

Hey Ter, I know you don't enjoy tags too much. But am sure you enjoy knowing how much people love you/your canine word skills - so please to go collect your award! :)

Terri the terrific said...

noon, mystic, thank you so much. Can I just stop by for a cup of tea instead?

broom, I hope you find good company in Calgary. What's the desi scene like over there? Believe it or not, I haven't found anybody in Chennai either.

sachita, by now you should know terri land is ruled by the king of hyperbole.

anantha, since we are looking to replace Rani, would Chockkamma like to take her place? But she won't get the same royal treatment here.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Terri, how I yearn to meet you. Can't wait for my deadline to end.
I hope mom won't put you through the torture before WE meet.

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, better hurry up. I'm too old to be put through the wringer again.