Wednesday, September 03, 2008

At Crossroads

Mom is officially unemployed again.

“Does this mean we’re going to be poor, Amma? You can’t buy me any more pretty stuffs?” asks her daughter, alarm pooling in her eyes.

Frankly, after keeping company with nocturnal creatures in the house for the last three months by working Mountain Standard Time, and looking like a raccoon with dark circles around her eyes, mom’s not sorry to see her contract end.

“Negotiate with your boss. Ask him to renew your contract,” said grandma, unaware of the strings mom’s kindly boss pulled to get her a work-from-outside-the-country opportunity.

“What are you going to do now?” asked a friend.

As usual, mom has no clue. Beyond making baingan ka bharta for tomorrow’s lunch because the eggplant is starting to look a little limp, she has no plans for the immediate future.

“It’s not too late to do something professional like an MBA,” advises grandma.

“Why?” asks mom. “Is it because an M.A. is short of one letter?”

Grandma changes tracks. “I tell you, teaching is the best profession,” she says. “You can become a teacher in your children’s school just like your cousin who came back from California did. They give you a discount in the tuition for the second child, and you get two months off every summer.”

Obviously, grandma is unaware of the fact that mom went to work specifically to get away from her own children. Why then would she want to spend time with other people’s children?

Mom doesn’t feel settled enough in her new environs to venture outside the home looking for gainful employment. Besides, a kindergartner’s schedule of only three hours of schooling would severely limit her time on a cubicle farm.

“Do we have to go to extended day again if you work?” ask the kids, worry writ large on their faces.

It seemed to me that mom moved to take a break from her wake-up-at-5 a.m.-and-keep-going-until-you-drop-from-exhaustion-only-to-repeat-the-process-the-next-day lifestyle. Why then is she even eyeing glass office buildings she passes by, wondering if they have a corporate communications department?

Ask mom what she really wants and she’ll tell you without hesitation that she needs a vacation. In fact, never before has the need to get away been so acute.

There’s nothing she’d like more than to leave the house behind with its resident lizards and relentless ants, the sulking maid, the grouchy garbage collector, the early-bird milkman, the noisy neighbors, the barking dog, the matinal keerai kaari, the house pet, and even her children, and recreate her honeymoon with dad for a few days.

The only problem is it’s far easier to drag a goat to Bakrid celebrations than it is to get dad to spend time with her.

In the meantime, as she waits for the romantic rheum to awake in dad, mom nurses a secret hope that a creative, interesting, well-paying, part-time, exactly-what-she-wants job opportunity will land in her lap - sort of like the startled lizard that fell on her as she drew the curtains one evening.

Mom's screams could be heard all through the neighborhood as she ran to the restroom to scrub herself like Lady Macbeth.

Has anybody else ever been tickled by the soft underbelly of a creepy crawly?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol Glad to see that its not just me goes to work to get away from the child :)

Schools reopened today. YIPEE

Anonymous said...

How about Print Media?

Or Mom can start the book - chronicling her brave battles with lizards.

-Sachita

Anonymous said...

terri:

“Is it because an M.A. is short of one letter?”

maybe because 'm.a' spoken in a certain accent means 'buffalo' in a certain south indian language! ;-)

wa:

and where do you live?! schools have opened and closed three times already this session hereabouts (thanks to visits by aunt fay, uncle gustav, and various other relatives who are planning to visit - cousins hanna, ike, and josephine are all lined up).

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

I think I would definitely die if a lizard fell on me.
Definitely.

I feel for you.

Anonymous said...

Ewwwwwwww.....i stepped on a rat once, perichaali, and couldn't sleep for months after that. Even though 25 odd years have passed since the unfortunate incident, i can still recollect the feel of that soft, hairy back of the startled mouse underneath my feet.

as for going back to work, i recommend taking a break for a while. worked wonders for my raccoon eyes.

Anonymous said...

Terri's mom, since you have the chance to take a break, PLEASE take it, I came back from India because of no break! my MST work hours and Racoon eyes made me and everyone around me feeling sad for me:) - Vij

Terri the terrific said...

Vij, that's just what I need. A friend on my side. The next time somebody says something about getting my lazy ass off the couch, I'll ask them to talk to you.

global, I find rats strangely cute. I used to go stare at them at Petsmart. Now, I just have to walk around the neighborhood at night to see all sizes scurrying away.

broom, maybe I should vacation in Calgary to recover.

s.b., wa lives where I would like to visit. How do you guys manage with all those unwanted visitors stopping by? We're waiting to experience our first cyclone season. I wonder if the effects are magnified when you live close to the sea.

sachita, ah, the great Indian novel's just waiting to be penned. Do you have a story for me?

wa, you're indeed wicked :)

Anonymous said...

Indian version of desparate housewives?:)

Terri, your sweet family might not figure in a such a book, but the polyester sporting, paunch showing neighbor would definitely find a place;)

-Sachita

Anonymous said...

terri:

"sachita, ah, the great Indian novel's just waiting to be penned. Do you have a story for me?"

"indian housewives: desperate and disparate" - there, i've given mom a title. i'll let others give ideas, and prose. mom can breathe life into it.

reminds me of a panchatantra tale with four pandits (heck, i just read it loud to little princess a couple of days ago!) except, in this case, instead of climbing up the tree, the lurkers (analogous to the buddy will read the novel and rotfl!

- s.b.

I love Lucy said...

My first comment here though I have been a silent lurker for quite sometime!
Let me tell you about my encounters with lizards when I was living in Bangalore.For some inexplicable reason,these creepy creatures would lodge themselves in the tiny crack between the restroom door and the hinge.And when I opened the door,completely unaware of the lizard's existence,it would snap into two pieces due to the impact.
Yuccckkk.
Imagine waking upto this ritual first thing in the morning!
I would yell and scream and control my bowel movement until my dad cleared the two pieces of the dead lizard and declared the restroom to be a lizard-remains-free-zone.
You brought back repressed memories!!

Anonymous said...

Terri, you've been awarded!

ano

Anonymous said...

Very disheartening to see so much anti-lizard sentiments floating around.

I'd be reluctant to invite you to my house because we once decided to give all our lizards names, but we ran out of names.

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, the kids have been naming the lizards also, but even that doesn't make them endearing. Maybe I should write a children's book on Lizzie the Misunderstood Lizard. Every time I see a spider, I pretend it's Charlotte so it doesn't creep me out. Anybody know any genius illustrators who can make even lizards look cute?

ano, thank you. I'll get around to it soon.

ill, it had to take a lizard to get you out of hiding. Maybe those creatures have some use after all.

sachita, s.b., you both have Great Expectations!

Anonymous said...

I have, I have... been tickled by that soft underbelly you mentioned. I have also beheaded, be-tailed and squashed lizards at door edges. If I can purchase a lizard-free house in Chennai for 10 crore rupees, I will.

Anonymous said...

Terri - first timer here via Chakli. Are u telling my story ? I worked recently very briefly but did not enjoy the stress...who does ? I would love to start something...one or two ideas but all in infancy. Enjoy ur time off.

Terri the terrific said...

inba, I'm with you on that. I see these beautiful penthouses in movies with the balcony doors wide open and the curtains swaying in the breeze and wonder, "Where's the lizard lurking?" because I know it's there somewhere.

meena, thanks, and I hope your ideas take off soon. Best of luck!

dipali said...

Oh, poor Mom and her lizardous adventures. Methinks you still need to be more oriented in Chennai before even thinking of a job outside the home.

Anonymous said...

How about appearing in one of those TV shows like face your phobia or some such..
Dont know about you, but I know for sure that we will have a great time reading about it..

Terri the terrific said...

dipali, that's what I keep telling myself, but it's starting to sound like an excuse now.

silentone, I've thought about it, but I'd rather eat meat than get in a tub full of lizards.

Anonymous said...

Oh you want to hear something worse? My best friend's cousin once woke up in the morning to find that a lizard had gone potty on her face (!!!) during the night. A story also known as Why Amrita Makes Her Befuddled and Angry Parent Check Her Bedroom For Lizards With Upset Tummies Before Consenting To Sleep Under His Roof.

So, take that soft underbelly and run with it coz thee knows not how blessed thou art.

Terri the terrific said...

amrita, that is definitely disgusting! I felt something soft brush my face last night and woke up screaming and flailing my arms only to realize that it was the husband's pillow. I think I should just move into a bubble.