I suppose you could call it a date even though it didn’t feel like one.
For the second time since they became parents, the humans went out without the kids, but they didn’t hold hands, look deep into each other’s eyes or even make polite conversation. In fact, the only intimacy they shared in the darkened theater was eating from the same tub of popcorn.
And, yet, mom was as happy as a college coed. She was sitting next to her man, who had accompanied her to the movies after much arm-twisting. Even though he preferred holding a cold drink and popcorn to her warm hand, at least he was within nudging distance for the next 120 minutes.
It didn't really matter that the evening had started off on a sour note.
“Now look here, stop arguing with him over Rs.10,” said dad, as they hailed an auto rickshaw and asked him the fare to Sathyam Cinema.
“But it’s supposed to be around Rs.40,” protested mom, as the autowalla patiently watched husband and wife argue with each other instead of with him.
“I don’t understand why you’re so cheap,” said dad through gritted teeth. “You really need to change your attitude. I’ve put up with this behavior for 15 years now.”
Mom frowned. She wasn’t sure whether to correct dad on the cheapness accusation or the fact that they had only known each other the last 13 years.
Perhaps the situation could’ve been avoided had the humans taken the car, but mom would’ve observed that no matter the country or continent, dad still likes to park the car as far away from the entrance as possible, a quirk she still doesn't understand after more than a dozen years of marriage.
Fighting off a splitting headache caused by a sinus infection, mom followed dad into the theater for what she knew would be a mediocre movie, certainly not befitting 10 Oscar nominations.
“Do you have tea?” she asked hopefully at the concession stand, only to be met with the standard, “Sorry, madam, coffee only,” response.
Mom has observed that Chennai city is as friendly to tea drinkers as the Western world is to vegetarians. In fact, it’s far easier to find Camembert cheese in the metro than it is to find a cup of tea with the right amount of milk and sugar added.
Settling for bland popcorn instead, mom sat through Slumdog Millionaire, wondering what the Golden Globe committee had seen in the film or its music to bestow so many awards on it. It wasn’t the stark images of the slums or the abuse of little children that bothered her so much as did Anil Kapoor’s orange mustache contrasting with his jet-black hair.
The humans’ return journey by auto was as eventful as their arrival.
“Rs.60? What nonsense! We only paid Rs.50 to get here,” exclaimed mom, dismissing hovering autos outside the theater.
“Let me handle this,” said dad, pushing her aside.
“Rs.70 only, saar,” said a khaki-clad driver, beckoning the humans to get in.
“I won’t give a naya paisa above Rs.40,” hollered mom, pulling dad by the sleeve and raising her fist at the driver.
“Why are you doing this?” dad turned to mom, confronting her in front of the auto rickshaw driver. “I thought we had discussed this already. Stop being so cheap!”
“Cheap? I’m not cheap,” retorted mom. “That’s the standard fare. This guy's taking us for a ride.”
“You think I’m an idiot?” countered dad. “Really, I’ve been tolerating this attitude of yours for over 15 years now …”
“Seri, saar, give me Rs.60. OK vaa?” interrupted the driver, putting an end to further discussion between a peeved husband and his peevish wife.
The pair rode silently home, making sure they sat in the auto without body parts touching. Mom looked pointedly to the right, dad looked to his left. As the auto bumped along over potholes and the humans were thrown against each other, mom let out a deep sigh.
"One of these days," she thought, "when this episode is behind us, I need to gently remind the man that we’ve only known each other the last 13 years, not 15!"
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Cheap thrills
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

29 comments:
you might want to do that ASAP before it's another two years and he thinks it's already 20 years you've been together...Srikanth
Maybe he means "Feels Like 15" :-)
For the second time since they became parents, the humans went out without the kids
We hold a slender lead.. we've been out 4 times..
If you had continued to bicker some more, the driver would have cracked under the marital tension and agreed to a Rs.40 fare.
In the US, for the most part we could squabble in public in Hindi and through gritted teeth. In Bangalore, we have to remind ourselves that almost everyone can follow the quarrel right along.
-DS (who feels holier-than-Vijay because she swallowed the "feels like 15 years" crack ;-)
terri's mom/vijay:
"For the second time since they became parents, the humans went out without the kids"
even with all the prosaic license i can handle, i really cannot believe those numbers! could you please better define "humans went out without the kids."
i am probably a certified kanjoos/makhichoos/whachamicallit, but i would side with dad on the auto rickshaw fare, though i cannot vote on what he says by way of "expert comments." i don't think i can remember a time when my family - while in india - went to watch a movie (and i am thinking back into the 70s here) where the to-and-fro fare was less than the ticket price (granted, that was a time before english movies were widely available, and it was pre-pvr as well)!
- s.b.
Heavenly elaichi tea at the domestic terminal at Madras airport- only Rs. 5. Maybe you could plan a flying visit to Srirangam?
CW, Srirangam or Singapore? I'll keep the tea tip in mind the next time I travel.
s.b., barring parent-teacher meetings and hospital visits, this really was the second time the parents went out without the kids. The first one was for their 10-year wedding anniversary (I can't find the post now since I write so much.) If you find it hard to believe, you must be one of those couples who schedule regular date nights. Hmmph!
DS, it's so difficult to bicker here since the maid speaks English as well. Silence and cold shoulders are our only resorts.
vijay, slender lead because you've been married longer, right? Does it feel like 25 years now? :)
Srikanth, maybe he meant it as a janam-janam-ka-rishta type of compliment.
terri's mom:
"If you find it hard to believe, you must be one of those couples who schedule regular date nights."
like i said, i wanted your complete unambiguous definition.
if we use the "night" logic, our total is zip, zero, nada. however, if you count the couple of times (yes, i mean two) in broad daylight when we've caught a movie or been out when kiddo is in school/extended day, and little one is in daycare ...
what i don't understand is what about all the time when you had help from india? you sure had taataas, paatis etc. in and out all the time you were in usa, unlike us - the max we had anyone from india was four months and that was a one-time thing.
btw, i bet cw meant new zealand (when in rome ...) ;-)
- s.b.
p.s.: don't tell me you've forgotten your ten-year anniversary date!!
s.b., wow, you guys bunked work and went to the movies on a weekday? How romantic! And since you do have that kind of a romantic streak, why don't you hire baby-sitters?
Can you find my 10-year anniversary post? I want to know how the evening ended.
ds:
you could try bickering in tamil. naah, never mind, that won't work either! ;-)
terri:
"why don't you hire baby-sitters?"
if you combine my two previous comments on this post, you'll see the answer staring right back at you.
"Can you find my 10-year anniversary post?"
it is not that hard! just type in 'anniversary' in the search field and you'll find it, though it is way down among the results (the other posts stir up old memories too).
- s.b.
@Terri 1992 Feb... Ya feels like 20 plus..
oh man... Anniversary alert.. Thanks for reminding me ...
@DS LOL ...
next time make your way to the City Center INOX theater and they have good tea to offer :) But please get dad to drive his car since the auto guys there are just horrible.
Sands, I think the humans should now travel by bus. The fares should please mom.
vijay, we insist on a post or a love sonnet to mark the occasion. Have a good one!
s.b., thanks. I knew you'd find it. Maybe if you move to desh, you can leave the kids with people who'll watch them out of love for free. You and missus can then live it up, like we're doing now ;)
absolutely hilarious!
Maybe because my date would have been very similar to this :-)
Priti.
You are welcome here, Terri and family. Though if you venture out, you'll have to settle for condensed milk-kalandha teh (which just might grow on you..).
I didn't get the NZ connection s.b., something to do with all milk pannais being run by desis?
cw:
that was in reference to terri's neighbour (?), who flies to nz at the drop of a hat, to play golf (and returns that same evening).
- s.b.
Priti, thank you. First time here?
CW, I love Singapore even though I haven't seen much other than Orchard Street. I was telling dad we should move there instead since it seemed like a cleaner version of India. Condensed milk tea? Sounds like condensed milk cold coffee I once ordered at a Thai restaurant and couldn't digest beyond the first unsuspecting sip.
s.b: bickering in Tamil would work for the husband since it would render me almost speechless :)
Terri: I can't do "silence and cold shoulders" - I crack under the strain and throw in the towel. I do much better at verbal sparring.
-DS
DS, I can teach you if you want to learn from the expert ;)
Terri,
I have read the Kite Runner. Its gripping, very well-written and of course emotional at times and you can't stop the tears. It is definitely a good read and highly recommend it. Haven't seen the movie version though. RT gives it a 66%. So, go ahead, watch the movie and let us know how it was (if not, definitely try the book)
-rm
Poor tea-deprived, accused-of-kanjoosi mom. My sympathies:(
rm, I loved the book! That's why I'm sure the movie sucks.
dipali, I think I should move to tea-friendly northern India.
Terri, Mom is definitely getting old. She forgot all my previous comments.
~
Priti.
Dear Terri,
This is the bestest blog I've ever read. So much that I've spent the last few days reading every post you have written through the years. Even my novels have been left untouched - which I tell you, is quite something.
If s.b. hadn't found the 10th Anniversary post, I would have gladly given you the link. :D
Eagerly waiting to lap up more of your writing.
Cheers!
Priti, you have? So sorry. It's definitely age-related.
mschillpill, thank you! Very kind words. I cringe when you mention my archives because I feel like deleting them at times. More writing? Ahem, putting pressure on me, are you?
What? Delete the archives?? Terri, don't you dare. Where would I go when I'm bored silly at work and need a pick-me-up with my coffee?
On a less selfish note, why would you think of deleting them? At the very least, take a back up ...
-DS
give me the weekend atleast,let me save the posts somewhere. as such i have always rued about the lack of an archive for time pass.
also the 10th anniversary post, isnt it the one where parents went in separate car to the restaurants?
and also when you provide links of blogs to read, they have to be as witty as yours.
-sachita
Ps: I had to put all comments in one go as there is some problem to comment from oppice:(
Fret not, folks. I'm not about to delete posts. I rarely delve into my own archives because I'm critical of my writing. Some of my posts should be buried.
lol! This post is very funny and hits so close to home. Especially the "body parts not touching" part. Me and my husband *always* have the auto fare episode when we go out.
-Viji
viji:
actually, it is much easier to be 'body parts not touching' adults than kids. if i had a naya paisa for each time v.b. and i screamed at the kids, commanding them to stop going hands (as in "moving your finger to within 1 angstrom of your sibling") and tongues (as in "sticking it out at your sibling") at each other in the back seat, i would be a 'bad dad millionaire' by now!
sachita/mschillpill:
while these might not have the same exact effect on the funny bone as terri's reminiscences do, what the heck, you might as well check them out during a lull at terri's (like when the grandparents visit).
- twisted dna: this could get pretty adult-rated. i have the distinction of being one of the few who read the precursor to this blog. i faithfully saved pdf versions of that old one, because it was getting to where i thought he might call it quits. fortunately, not only did he not call it quits, but he also has a much wider fan following now!
- alpha: unfortunately, since scaling the mighty kilimanjaro, she's yet to descend back to the level of normal mortals who blog on a more reasonable frequency
- s.b.
Post a Comment