On occasional mornings, mom wakes up to little gifts I leave for her on the bedroom floor. Gifts that she claims she can do without, such as bodily emissions I cannot hold until morning.
The only reward I get for leaving these gifts is a mild reprimand, for which I have the mosaic flooring in the house to thank. Believe me, the reaction was a lot less gentle when such offerings were discovered in prime carpeted areas.
Given my tendency to ingest what mom calls as “garbage” and I claim as “food going waste,” combined with a slower metabolism due to my advanced age, mom awoke this morning to find the bedroom floor saturated with the entire contents of my stomach and bladder.
“What the …?” was her initial reaction as she rubbed her crusty eyes and surveyed the room, which had not one unsoiled corner. “Terri!” she yelled, turning toward me, arms akimbo. “Out!” she screamed, as I heaved and threw up what little was left in my stomach.
To cut a long story short, and to fast forward several bouts of vomiting through the day, I seem to have an acute case of indigestion.
“It’s normally associated with eating cow dung,” the vet pronounced as she inserted a fat syringe into my leg.
Ever since we moved to India, I’ve discovered a local delicacy found aplenty in our neighborhood. “You’re disgusting, Terri!” sighs mom, yanking my leash when she finds me dipping into this roadside delight, equally flavorful whether it’s freshly laid or baked in the sun.
Disgusting, indeed! What would she know, this woman who picks a plate of steamed Brussels sprouts over spicy buffalo wings?
Mom’s equally indifferent to another neighborhood delicacy I discovered on a recent beach outing – juicy, gelatinous clams washed ashore by the waves. Too impatient to pry the shells apart, I swallowed them whole, ignoring fine sand on my tongue and savoring, instead, the saltiness of the crustaceans.
“Do I not feed this dog enough?” wonders mom in dismay as she watches me scoop up empty milk sachets, bread wrappers, leftover sambhar and chutney bags on the road faster than her brain can instruct her hand to pull me away.
You see, there comes a time in a dog’s life when he tires of eating boiled eggs and spongy bread for breakfast, rice and dal for lunch, Marie biscuits for tiffin and steamed vegetables with rotis for dinner.
The canine body craves variety, which is why mom has taken to ignoring the gleaming, silvery fish with vacant eyes and pieces of juicy bone that my friends, the crows, occasionally drop over our compound wall as they sit on the coconut trees with their catch.
“The next time he gets indigestion like this, just give him some ice cream,” advised the vet, as mom settled the bill for a grand total of Rs. 150.
“Excuse me?” asked mom, still reeling from a $3 bill for medical services rendered.
“Yes, yes, regular ice cream. Try vanilla,” the woman replied.
Give me a few days to recover, and I might start competing with the kids on Friday nights for ice cream. Vanilla, did she say? At this point, I’m ready to try any flavor, as long as it’s not (bleah!) green tea or broccoli.
That's where even a dog, self-respecting or otherwise, would draw the line.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Gastric grief
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
Vanilla ice cream huh? Who would have thought? Good to know Terri's mom since Z does this a lot thanks to stealing the kids candy and eating crap she finds out in the backyard:)
Resist the temptation to sample unknown foods and enjoy your vanilla ice cream, Terri. Hope you feel better soon.
Try out the green tea ice cream, Terri! You may be pleasantly surprised.
muser, I have tried green tea ice cream. I suppose it's an acquired taste.
mystic, you sound like my mom :)
Sands, I'm still a little skeptical about the ice cream advice. Dairy for dogs? Why don't you try it and let me know?
Poor Terri. But dung? Really? Your head must be spinning at all the culinary delights a walk in India provides, but a little discretion is a good (and healthy) thing.
Terri, are you a vegetarian dog? I know cats need meat in their diet (for taurine, an amino acid) but dogs can go veggie?
-DS
DS, I tell you, it's a veritable smorgasbord out there. And I'm vegetarian by birth, unfortunately, not by choice. A lot of Indian dogs are.
ds:
raja (1985-2003) was 100% pure pucca vegetarian (with a seasonal egg or two) - notwithstanding the odd bone that he picked up on his walks when his humans failed to pay attention!
terri:
i think your humans made a smart choice relocating to india. all of you have a multitude of more choices in your respective diets.
to put things in perspective, i paid 3 buckaroos for a copy of my medical report at the specialist's yesterday (a buck a page). the gp would have given them for free, says v.b. - rightly so, i agreed, time for the specialist's administrative staff is more expensive than that for the gp's.
the best job to have in a recession is in the health industry, i say!
- s.b.
Oh dear oh dear... poor Terri's mom! India's roads are a veritable smorgasbord of the disgusting variety. Stay away from "street food", Terri! :)
s.b., Raja sure lived a long life. His folks must miss him.
Healthcare is the best career option anytime. People will always fall sick, more so with all the pollution around.
Shyam, Indian street food is the best! I feel so sad that mom had a deprived childhood since her mother refused to let her eat golgappas and the like from a cart located next to an open sewer in their neighborhood. And mom, the idiot woman, is continuing with the tradition by acting just like her mother and depriving her own children. How are they supposed to build immunity, I ask?
ohh poor Terri, its not your fault that cow ate some crap, only when the cow eats well the dung does good for you:) - VK
VK, I'm surprised as well. I thought cow dung had antiseptic properties, which is why people clean floors with it and smear it on their walls.
Poor Terri. Hope you feel better soon.
Mom, I wouldn't worry about the dairy/icecream. Our dog used to drink milk all the time. In fact, he wouldn't stop barking still he got a "hafta" from the doodhvala every morning.
Don't know about the dung though ;)
Veena
Ah! A Terri-focused post after a loooong time :)
Poor Terri. It's not your fault at all.
ra, thank you. Everybody thinks it's mom's fault for not knowing how to walk me properly.
inba, you want me to talk more about myself or chronicle how mom and dad argue in front of autowallahs instead of presenting a united front?
Veena, it's so confusing. People in India feed their pets dairy products, while the West argues otherwise.
Stay well, Terri, love, and spare the offerings to mom.
dipali, I'm fine now, thanks. I'm back after knocking on heaven's door.
Terri, Please don't eat junk, even if mom raids Grand Sweets herself.
Stay healthy...
Post a Comment