Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chatting in Chennai

It was a meeting she had looked forward to and willed to happen for a few years now.

“I can’t come to Bangalore on Tuesday,” mom informed dad. “I have a very important meeting I can’t miss.”

“Why are you standing in front of the closet and staring at your clothes, mom?” asked the children last week.

“I have a very important meeting,” muttered mom, sorting through her clothes and disdainfully rejecting every single garment.

“What important meeting?” asked grandma, sensing the anticipation and trepidation in mom's voice over the phone. "Job interview aa?"

Job interviews are passé. Mom had a rendezvous with Rads!

E-mails were exchanged between Lakshmi, Rads and mom to meet at an outdoor coffee shop despite the heat, daughters in tow. As usual, Lakshmi was the first to arrive, and mom sauntered in fashionably late after changing her outfit at least three times and still unhappy with what she wore.

Rads tunneled thru' thereafter with warm hugs and infectious exuberance. Much like her online persona, she’s a bundle of energy - a complete contrast to mom’s bovine personality. One can easily imagine Rads as a dancemasterni, cracking her whip at truant teens and gently encouraging pudgy matrons to call upon some semblance of grace while shaking a leg.

Accompanying Rads was a demure cherub with a shy, ready smile, remnants of baby fat on her arms and thighs just begging to be squeezed. As their mothers rightly predicted, the two girls didn’t utter a word to each other the first hour. Missing from the group was Lakshmi’s daughter who was home with a stomach bug, and less than an hour after she arrived, Lakshmi was paged to return home and deal with a sick child.

As the weather cooled, the little girls warmed up, their bellies sated with French fries. Kicking off their shoes, they tore through the establishment, chatting with waiters and leaning over banisters, while Rads and mom sat under trees lit by fairy lights and talked about things-that-women-can-talk-about-for-over-two-hours-and-not-be-bored.

It was while the three women were chatting about blogging and the virtual audience that Lakshmi and Rads made a passing reference to dealing with unwanted attention online. “Wow, I thought only The Mad Momma had trolls,” blurted mom, as she listened in wide-eyed wonder to the two women recount their experiences in dealing with virtual venom.

This has left me shaken. Frankly, people, I can’t tell you how disturbed I am by this phenomenon. It saddens me to the point of shaking the very foundation of my self-esteem and confidence. Maybe I should take grandma’s advice and give blogging a break, while looking for a more fulfilling hobby, such as social work.

Four years of an online presence and what do I have to show? I am almost ashamed to admit it: not one nasty comment; not one testy troll.

Do you people have any idea how isolated I feel in social situations with fellow bloggers? Really, what does one have to do to get some attention around here?

30 comments:

Rads said...

Bovine my foot! It was plain awesome to finally meet you and lakshmi :)
lol- changing outfits. Same here on wondering what to wear, except that I didn't since I napped happily and didn't have time to do anything apart from splash water and rush!

Munchkin now thinks we would meet everyday. I wish that too :)

Anonymous said...

Nice about mom's meet. And then, ROFL.

Terri, you shouldn't stop because trolls haven't noticed you yet. Keep at it. Maybe the next troll is just around the corner.

Or if you let me know how exactly a troll behaves, I could pretend to be one... Anything to keep you blogging ;)

Anonymous said...

terri:

nice - now rads has some masala for her blog once more. will be nice to read rads' point of view. :-)

"link" up to the rest of blogdom, and trolls, however you define 'em, will come - guaranteed.

- s.b.

Broom said...

Careful what you wish for! :)

Sands said...

I can relate to you Terri's mom. Not having experienced nasty comments, it's really hard to imagine what it feels like! Awesome you folks got to meet.

Mystic Margarita said...

Maybe them trolls are afraid of Terri's bite being worse than his bark? :)

It's so nice you gals got to meet up and chat. This time in kolkata I met Sue, Dipali, Eve's Lungs, Suki and M4 (MammaMiaMeaMamma) and it was awesome!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was fullfiling the troll requirement appo appo. and there is no greater social work than blogging.

Ps: that's why rads was missing from her blog, mystery solved!

-Sachita

Anonymous said...

Err, it's quite simple, since you've moved to B'lore and IPL is on, how about starting to write something on Vijay Mallaya, am sure you will rake up something....hey this reminds me of that " Pink Chaddi " campain not so long ago...Srikanth

Shobha said...

The HBO documentary on Daniel Pearl is absolutely heartbreaking.

RG said...

"Really, what does one have to do to get some attention around here?"

YOU JUST HAVE YOU ASK, YOU F$^%ING BITCH!! ;)

Anonymous said...

How dare you write what you think? How dare you write? How dare you think? How dare you?

Do I qualify for a troll now ;)

Btw, Terri, was mom by any chance at Malar Hospital yesterday? I saw a forehead and pair of eyes that resembled hers :D

Anonymous said...

rg:

terri is a "he"*

- s.b.

* - contributing to my overall troll score (i know everyone knows terri is a he)

Shammi said...

Try to be less nice, then! :) I'm sure the trolls will come - trolling along, tro lo lo lo... (trollish for "tra la la la")

ra said...

How can a canine have a bovine mother?

Well you did have one-not a troll exactly but someone sspoutinbg dubious wisdom on domestic violence and how women are attracted to it!

And don't give blogging a break-unless it is to write full time for pay, it's not like you blog everyday.

shrooty said...

hi! i'm a lurker on your blog. i just wanted to say how awesome it is for the blogging world to meet in the real one and it actually worked out:) sounds like you guys had a good time!

Anonymous said...

I haven't met a bigger wimp than you. What useless blog you have. And you're ugly(I think. I haven't met you).
May i be your troll now, please? ;)
sandya

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Lakshmi said...

Mom, I don't think we are designed to tolerate unwanted attention. I felt guilty like I did something wrong for days after the misadventure with the online romeo. I still can't get myself to write a blog entry for all audience and have been hiding behind the restrict-post-to-people-you-know option.

Good to know the kids warmed up soon.Wish I could have stayed longer, and brought the little one around. Murphy's laws were discovered for me.

Terri the terrific said...

Lakshmi, he must be a sad, desperate moron to hit on a married woman with a child. I hope you don't hear from him again.

sandya, a groupie troll (or is it a troll groupie?) Either way, welcome!

shrooty, we got lucky this time. It doesn't always work out.

ra, How can a canine have a bovine mother? That's right. A canine can only have a bitch as a mother.

Shyam, nice? Moi? I intimidate people in the real and virtual worlds.

s.b., thank you. Surprisingly, not too many people know my real gender. Blame it on mom who gave me a name that can go both ways, like Suman or Krishna or Madhu.

inbavalli, you saw an Aishwarya Rai lookalike at the hospital? Just kidding :) Mom was chatting with Rads and Lakshmi on that day.

RG, wow! Are you a professional or is this a one-time gut reaction?

sole, thank you. If two people have tagged me for the same thing, I suppose I should respond.

Shobha, I bet it's better than the movie.

Srikanth, any sport (possible exception - lovemaking) bores me to tears. If Vijay Mallya was less disgusting looking and more distinguished (OK, fine, sour grapes at his money and lifestyle) he would interest me a lot more.

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, Rads was missing from her blog because she was in India. Thank you for fulfilling the troll requirement appo, appo. It makes me feel loved (sniff, sniff, sob, sob).

Mystic (M2), like-minded blogger meets are such fun. If wishes were apples, I would want to live in a community with all the bloggers I'm in love with. On second thoughts, what would we write about then?

Sands, are you fishing for a troll? I might slink away with my tail between my legs if a real one comes along. (I do that when I spot a cat and my humans aren't watching.)

Broom, you've probably had more hate mail and negative comments than anybody I know. I hope it's all in the past now.

s.b., you're putting Rads on the spot now. She might only write about her experiences in the heat and dust.

mschillpill, you sound way too sweet to qualify as a troll.

Rads, my little one thinks we should move to your neighborhood in the U.S. (sigh!) I wish that too :)

maxdavinci said...

don't we just love trolls? here more to online venom and hope some comes our way as well!

the mad momma said...

i hate you. i hate your kids. your dogs, your cats, your blog....

there - troll comment for you - could be straight out of my inbox. i hope we've all made up for the lack of attention.

geez - the things i do for people who matter.....

Terri the terrific said...

max, you suffer from the same problem, is it? Don't worry, I'll send some trolls over if they come here.

the mad momma, but, but, but I love you nahi bola! Sob, sob, let me go drown myself in the Bay behind my house.

dipali said...

What drama, Terri's mom! Enough trolls now to keep you happy?
Wish I could meet you guys someday soon- sounds like fun!

Terri the terrific said...

dipali, next time you're in Bangalore, give me a holler.

dipali said...

Will do!

Anonymous said...

I can believe to you :)

Anonymous said...

it is know that some dating sites turn blind eye to bogus profile in their books :)

Anonymous said...

hello bros. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for that exact model. The prices as regards the velcros are about 190 bucks on every page. But finally I base this location selling them for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi bros. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that meticulous brand. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are about 220 pounds on every site. But completely I set this location selling them for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you say about it?