“I wouldn’t even want to live here for free,” shuddered grandma as she stood alongside mom on a manicured sidewalk in Palm Meadows, Bangalore, and surveyed her surroundings.
Having heard much about the upscale NRI bastion, mom had decided that a trip to the garden city would be incomplete without a look at the exclusive neighborhood.
“Kahaan jaana hai, madam?” security stopped her at the front gate.
“To the rental office,” fibbed mom. “I want to see if there are any houses to rent.”
“Come back tomorrow,” waved the guard dismissively and watched until the car backed up and left the premises.
Mom returned in less than an hour with a friend who lived across the street. Apparently, Palm Meadows security is a little lax with pedestrians. Evening walkers and domestic help glide in and out of the neighborhood on foot with no questions asked.
“What did you say the rents were?” whispered grandma, looking around and noting the community’s resemblance to a Southern California suburb with swaying palm trees, wide streets, cookie cutter houses and mini vans parked in driveways.
“Don’t worry, it’s beyond our budget,” mom reassured her. “We’re only sightseeing.”
“Good,” replied grandma, “I’d never fit in here, and I’ll feel so odd to visit you.”
Indeed, in the 10 minutes they spent in the neighborhood, nothing other than the proliferation of brown faces around them reminded mom of India. The streets were clean enough to roll in, dog walkers with Ziploc bags picked up after their pets, made-in-U.S.A. children glided by on roller blades with helmets and knee pads on, and grandma was the only woman in a sari as far as the eye could see.
“Why can’t the rest of the city be as clean?” wondered mom as they made their way to the upper crust clubhouse.
“Sorry, members only, ma’am,” said a polite employee at the entrance.
“But I really need to use the restroom,” entreated mom, hopping on one foot. She was duly directed to a ladies’ room that smelled of potpourri instead of phenol. Piped-in music played softy in the background as mom sank down on the seat, and she noted that the bath tissue was so soft it felt imported.
Later that night, mom called her children in Chennai to tell them about the sights she’d seen.
“Why can’t we live there, mom?”
“Because it’s too expensive.”
“Aw! Can we move there when you both get jobs?”
“We can go visit,” said mom brightly. “I’m sure we can somehow find a member we know.”
“But the place sounds just like home,” drawled the children.
“Exactly,” said mom, “it doesn’t feel like India.”
“So?”
Mom paused to search for the right words.
What's the point in living there?” she muttered softly, unable to explain herself further to the children whose roots are still in another country. “It just doesn’t feel like home India.”
Friday, April 17, 2009
Crème de la community
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
not that i am incapable of such behavior myself but mom is proving to be the proverbial women.
did you check for your best friend in Palm meadows?
I don't think first impressions long last enough, you will definitely find " India " in any corner in the world...Srikanth
Check this out in case you change your mind.
http://classifieds.karnataka.com/bangalore/real-estate/houses-flats-rent/adarsh-palm-meadows-3-br.html
Sniff..mom why don't you just go back?
have tagged you
http://sundar72.blogspot.com/2009/04/around-world-in-80-clicks.html
Sundar, it looks like the tag has surpassed 80 clicks now. Dads have been tagged, so the next category is pets, I suppose. Will try to (whine, whine, whine) do it :)
gds, we're not even entertaining that thought for another year. Our friends back there might throw a chappal at us.
anon, thank you, but I did find something for Rs. 80,000, which is still not in my budget.
Srikanth, true. I hear there's a Malayali outpost somewhere in the Arctic circle.
Sachita, what do you mean?
True, Palm Meadows is NOT the place to stay in, it's so umm unreal. That's where all the expats in our company are put up.
Btw Koramangla, Indira Nagar, Jaya Nagar are all awesome places to stay in.
made-in-USA children...that is such an apt phrase. That's what mine are!
Please ask Mom to think about going back to journalism. She really should be getting paid for writing.
Veena
veena:
i've said that before!
terri's mom:
don't know whether this will put you in palm meadows (which might not be that good an idea anyway if taatas and paatis refuse to visit!), but worth a try.
i wonder if terri will get special preference in the "dog" quota! ;-)
- s.b.
sorry... i just thought considering that mom had such problems during living in chennai, this would be the ideal place if not for the rent.
When i move back to india,i would love to live in a place like this if not for the fact none of the good eateries will be anywhere closer.
-sachita
Sachita, if I were here on an expat deal (i.e., if company pays for everything) I'd live anywhere, even in PM, and send the kids to the American School. They can learn about Indian culture vicariously.
s.b., good idea! With the rampant reservations policy here, maybe they have a pet quota.
Veena, thank you. What a bargain you readers are getting for free! Must measure my words more carefully.
clueless, isn't Jayanagar on the other side of the earth? These places are far, far away from school.
I'm with grandma, almost. I _might_ live here for free but I suspect I would feel like a fish out of water. It's a lovely place but unreal, like a silicon implanted surgically modified babe of Bangalore real estate.
-DS
Rs 80,000 for rent? Ouch...I understand, from an expat friend, who lives in Palm Meadows, that the various servants and help she employs are also paid obscene amounts - I offered to come in as a cook/housekeeper for her.
Besides, Electronic City is NOT Bangalore!
M (proud of N.Bangalore roots!)
Hi Terri, looks like you have been Globe (India) trotting since I last visited this blog!
I am glad you decided not to live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood. Even in the (Good ole) USA people are slowly moving away from the suburbs to more urban settings!
-Manav.
DS, you don't like silicon implanted surgically modified babes? Based on my keen observation, it seems only women have a problem with such babes. When I catch the husband staring, I usually poke him in the ribs and say, "Those aren't real, you know." He usually gives me a baffled "Duh, so what?" look.
M, if mom doesn't find a job soon, she just might apply for such a position at Palm Meadows.
Manav, I still love the 'burbs. There's no place to walk in the city.
Babes (both kinds) may be tasty eye candy but I don't think Dad/home-seekers would want to live with/in one (unless there are other redeeming qualities).
Get Dad to watch those medical shows that feature plastic surgery in graphic detail. Maybe that will ruin his enjoyment of the melon chests :-) It's hard to understand why anyone would put themselves through it voluntarily. I'll live with the flab and wrinkles, thank you.
-DS
terri:
apologies for bringing this blog against the backdrop of palm meadows, but i just saw it thanks to the fake ipl player (another must read), and i've got to share it.
it is pretty impressive, though it is difficult to believe that "a little boy" writes this blog!
- s.b.
My mom went here to see about an alliance and she said the same thing too! In fact, she said it looks like a fancy jail.
Oh my! This community is for real! Excuse me while I go off to make a million bucks so I can move in to one of those homes. :)
Hmm. Any gigolo openings in PM ??
ROFL !!!! I can give awesome massages.
It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)
Very shorts, simple and easy to understand, bet some more comments from your side would be great
Post a Comment