Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chalti ka naam Mummy

What Chennai couldn’t do in 11 months, Bangalore accomplished in a few days.

The city, known internationally for its infamous traffic, forced mom to get behind the wheel of a car.

Of course, circumstances also played a part.

“Look, I can't take you shopping every single day,” remarked dad after a second run to the grocery store in two days. “I can take you out every 10 days or so, so plan your purchases accordingly.”

“Like hell I will!” thought mom, picking up the car keys in a huff the next afternoon and driving to the closest home store, determined to burn a hole the size of her ego in dad’s pocket.

People on the road honked at her, she forgot to change gears, her car stalled at a red light, but mom was filled with a sense of accomplishment when she returned from her maiden trip.

Since rediscovering a little of her former independence – the rest will follow as soon as she lands a job – mom finds that she is no longer afraid of the road.

She’s not the problem, you see? It’s the others out there who don’t know how to drive.

Men on two-wheelers are clearly suicidal; truck and bus drivers consider their vehicles as a phallic symbol; auto rickshaw drivers are savvy opportunists; and chauffeurs, a rude and belligerent lot with bad hygiene.

It took mom a few forays outside her gate before she started using the horn. The first time, she cruised in first gear behind an old man herding his goats home. “Oh, look at the babies; how cute!” admired mom, not wanting to signal her presence and frighten the herd.

The impatient driver behind her - a chauffeur, naturally - did not share her sentiments. He brought the bucolic scene to an abrupt end by leaning on his horn and scattering the goats in confusion, before roaring off in a cloud of dust.

These days, mom uses the horn judiciously. Unlike most other drivers, however, she’s not raring to go at red lights or trying to pass slower vehicles. When mom honks, she's trying to convey a message. It’s this mild mannered, genteel woman's way of saying, “F – you!” to all the bad drivers out there.

She thinks her mother would approve.

23 comments:

Sands said...

Congratulations Terri's mom. That is indeed a giant step forward :) Now if I could get myself to do the same when I visit I'd be all set!!

Terri the terrific said...

Sands, why drive when you're here for a flying visit? If I hated driving in the U.S., you can guess how I feel about it here.

Anonymous said...

Yay Mummy! Maybe this will shame me into getting started with it. OH offers to get us a driver (calling them chauffers means doubling their salary, bad hygiene and all) but I dread the thought. I've been able to get by since I hate shopping, groceries (and now a library!) are within walking distance. I loved the independence that driving gave me in the US. And let's not forget the strategic advantage - I could storm out of the house after a fight and go to the library or Borders. Here I can only sulk in the guest bedroom which brings down the drama quotient considerably.

-DS

The Muser said...

way to go Terri's mom! I have been trying to drive for the past 2 years inspite of having stayed all my life here...bravo!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a big leap! You are set to "go places"! Congrats on being able to navigate b'lore traffic in your own way!

- Shree

Ron said...

I hear you Terri's mom! I too drive in Bangalore. Forced to since autos are highly un dependable. The other day a man in the car behind me literally sat on the horn ina traffic jam. I finally lost my cool, stepped out, walked up to him and asked him if he expected my car to sprout wings and fly. Idiot.

Terri the terrific said...

Ron, I'm so glad you've started writing again. Let me put you back on my list. The more people honk at me, the less I'm inclined to move, unless of course it's a bus or a lorry.

Shree, thank you. I'm not about to cruise down Commercial Street anytime soon, but the ability to get to non-crowded places makes me feel less dependent.

The Muser, remember, it's not you, it's them.

DS, please let me know if there are any sulk-recovery places in the neighborhood. How often can one go to Reliance Fresh?

Vijay said...

Aha!!! It was you that was causing the jam :-)

The key to Bangalore driving is "slithering" into empty spaces in front of you before the other guy does...dont feel bad about not honking pretty soon you will be honking with the best of us...

@Ron: LOL... the guy deserved it..

Anonymous said...

ron:

just saw your blog (first time). impressed with your language. as a fellow virgo, i need to learn to express myself better (from you) :-).

terri:

you need to reveal that list so i don't miss blogs like ron's. maybe via e-mail?

a couple of deft definitions...

honker: driver who leaves at most two inches of free space in front of his/her vehicle and the one in front.

honkee: driver who gets into those spaces.

you can fence sit only so long. let's (vijay and me*) see how long you last! i give you two weeks ;-)

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

congrats! I am not sure if I'll be able to drive there. Maybe end up taking a A/C city cab everywhere.

Veena

dipali said...

This is indeed great progress. Keep it up:)
(Says she who drove for maybe one year or so in her entire life, and does not intend to start again in this life at least:)

SM said...

Hi Terri's mom,

Completely agree with you on Blore traffic and use of horn.

Just this morning, on the way to work, while turning left at a signal and my left indicator on 9and I am on the left most lane), I hear this (idiotic) biker honking away to glory - he manages to overtake me from the right and then (audaciously) glares at me as if I was wrong block his straight path ahead!!!!

Still fuming -- some poor unsuspecting client will have to bear the brunt.....

Anonymous said...

Any place with books gets me out of a sulk pretty quickly. And now I can storm out on foot, since the new library is a 3 minute walk away. I think Just Books may have a branch in your area. Either that or the gym ...

-DS

Ron said...

Terris mom: you used to read my blog? Goodness and I had no clue.


SB: awww thanks :)

Vijay: you said it...slithering into spaces is something I have become really good at. Terris mom will need to learn this art soon Im thinking :)

Terris mom sorry for taking over your comment space like this :P

Anonymous said...

ds:

gym, or any other exercise form (racquetball, tennis, or even driving a nail into a wall(!) etc) is good enough to get one out of a funk.

ron:

"Terris mom sorry for taking over your comment space like this "

vijay and i own the copyrights on this behaviour. one of these days, apologies to the blog owner will be insufficient - we might demand royalty on the side ;-).

- s.b.

Sachita said...

This is awesome as good as flying, as long as there is no ek ladki bheegi bheegi si, dad should be happy.

I know not how to drive a manual transmission car. And I dont think I will drive a car in India unless there was a curfew outside(how does one ensure you dont really run over some body!).

Scooty or watever the equivalent today, i will probably try.

ra said...

Goats are a part of India I assume and not the gated colony?!
Congrats on the driving-you can listen to lots of music and books on tape etc etc in the hours you spend stationary.

Terri the terrific said...

ra, no goats inside the complex unfortunately. In Chennai, the goats used to pass by our gate at 11 every morning. We used to feed them vegetable peels, and they'd jump up like dogs on us, demanding their share.

Sachita, no two-wheelers for me. My hair will get messed up.

Ron, I'll comment next time to let you know I read.

DS, Just Books is wonderful if you want to read Indian authors. I wish we were within walking distance of something other than a village with bad drainage.

SM, poor client :)

dipali, I hate it, but it's a necessity.

Veena, visitors here should just relax.

s.b., Vijay, I still don't get the point of slithering. Why is everybody in such a tearing rush on the roads? And don't even get me started on riders who don't wear helmets.

wordjunkie said...

Driving on Bangalore roads!! Terri, your mom is clearly a warrior at heart.

Terri the terrific said...

wordjunkie, it's not out of choice.

Sachita said...

Chitra... Singh, totally made us believe three men could love her right? I love that movie.

ps: no connection watsever, but have you seen "The man in the moon"?

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, haven't even heard of the movie, and Bigflix doesn't seem to have it either :(

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! Good luck and drive safe.
-Viji