Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Gods must be Crazy

Grandma: “How do the kids like their new school?”

Mom: “Anu doesn’t have a class teacher yet.”

Grandma: “Oh, why don’t you apply? You can teach English or French. It’s a wonderful opportunity.”

Mom: “Grrrr, Amma, why do you bring it up every week? I don’t want to teach!”

Grandma: “Foolish child, just think, you’ll get two months off every year, you can eat lunch in school for free and ride with the children on the school bus. It’s so cushy; it’s almost as good as a bank job.”

Mom: “Ma, one should like teaching to be in the profession. I believe you should have a flair for it. It requires dedication, patience and …”

Grandma: “What nonsense. You think all teachers are like that?”

Mom: “Exactly! That's why certain people should never teach. Besides, I can earn more if I join a corporation.”

Grandma: “Yeah, right, as though the corporate world is knocking on your door offering you a plum job. (Muttering under her breath and walking away) Srinivasa, when will this girl learn?”

Perhaps the gods heard grandma’s plea, for mom received the following e-mail from a recruiter this morning:

Position: Marketing Ex.
Type of Job: Selling broadband through Vsat to the various corporates in Kabul
Must possess a valid Passport, And excellent Communication Skills (English- Spoken)

Suddenly, that teaching gig is starting to look mighty tempting.

11 comments:

Chakli said...

You think 5th graders are any less dangerous than corporates in Kabul?

Vijay said...

LOL @Kabul.. like the part about valid passport..wonder if they make you fly business class...

Terri the terrific said...

Chakli, but I can mess with their impressionable minds, right? (evil laugh)

Vijay, do they even have flights to Kabul?

Guddi said...

Hey,forget about teacher's job, right now that maid's job also looks interesting. am sure you smell better than Erica's citrus Fabuloso!! :)

The Muser said...

:D They might have a stop over if it was hijacked like the last time it happened from Bangalore!

Sachita said...

"I can mess with their impressionable minds.."
kuki is only in her first grade:)

I am hung up on a career in journalism for u(even if it doesnt pay well), u will get some good publishing contacts, may be?

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, I wish you were a publisher who's extremely generous with your money. I'd love to work for you.

The Muser, plane hijacked from Bangalore? It rings a vague bell somewhere in my mind, but sitting in this peaceful community under a blue sky on a gorgeous day makes it hard to believe that anything bad can happen in sleepy Bangalore. (Yes, I'm living in Fool's Paradise.)

Guddi, I think the teachers are paid only slightly more than the maids. The rest of the tuition money probably goes into the "building fund."

Sands said...

Am surprised you didn't give the Kabul job serious thought Terri's mom :) I for one can totally relate to your thoughts on teaching. I so believe that one needs to love it to take it up!!

Terri the terrific said...

Sands, considering how much I want to live "abroad" again, I really should look into this ;)

wordjunkie said...

'Cider House Rules' is an amazing book, way better than the movie. It was the book that got me hooked onto john Irving way back when I was a wee schoolkiddie. And the movie covers only half the book.
It would be a perfect read for that long flight to Kabul:)

Terri the terrific said...

wordjunkie, it is a long flight to Kabul. 12h 25m from Bangalore to Delhi to Kabul. (Yes, I'm so jobless that I went to Travelocity to check.)