The best part about living in a housing community, mom was told, was that there would be no dearth of household help. “If one maid leaves, another one will take her place,” friends and relatives told her.
Thus reassured, mom moved into her new house under the impression that the line of women queuing up outside our door would be as long as the one outside a local ration shop.
We soon found out that what these well-meaning people omitted to mention was the quality of people knocking on our door offering their services.
“You want me to work for how much?” some of the domestics exclaimed in disbelief. “The people in that house pay Rs. 3,000. That’s the going rate here, goththa?” they informed, highly offended.
“See what I said about the cost of living in Bangalore?” muttered grandma, deftly dispatching women who arrived with such tall claims.
“Mein kaam karoongi, didi,” one applicant informed mom. “Pay me whatever you like. I never overcharge my fellow north Indians.” Upon learning that mom hailed from the south of the Vindhyas, the woman diplomatically replied, “So what? We’re all Indians, aren't we? Ham sab ek hain.”
The next morning she sent a friend in her place. “Treat me like your mother, beta,” the elderly woman said, huffing and puffing as she climbed the stairs to the bedrooms. “So many stairs in your house, baba! I can only do light housework as this is my first job.”
Another servant maid brought her eighth-grader along and set her to work downstairs while she cleaned upstairs. Mother-daughter duo cleaned four bathrooms, swept, swabbed and washed dishes in 10 minutes, setting a world record in Domestic Olympics. They also left a few faucets open and a trail of body odor in their wake.
The duo's replacement fared no better.
“Do you speak Tamil?” asked mom.
The woman nodded and replied in Kannada.
"Did you sweep the porch today?"
The woman nodded even though she had forgotten to.
“Did you take out the trash?”
Of course she hadn't, but she nodded.
"Wait a minute, did you just clean the bathroom with the kitchen sponge?"
Mom was graced with another nod as the woman returned the dirty sponge to the kitchen.
"Here's your money for the last 10 days and a little bit extra. Please don't come back, OK?"
The maid nodded happily. "See you tomorrow," she said on the way out.
"You just need to find the right match," neighbors cluck in sympathy.
Such a person does exist, two of them in fact, who left our house sparkling and smelling of citrus rather than body odor.
Unfortunately, they don't live in this country.

23 comments:
[munna_bhai]
Sorry to hear about your domestic help situation. Thinking about the stress of micro-managing makes me wonder why do we need this domestice help.
I remember my cousin used to so micro-manage the servant I used to tell her to do it herself so that it gets done faster.
Good Luck!!
omigod! Really?
Really is it that hard? Now I don't feel so guilty of not that that step. :|
So sorry, but somehow no laugh coming. :(
not taking that step
i so empathize ! am having similar issues with my gardener .. am thinking of taking lessons in Spanish so that i can get him to actually do something once in a while other than show up :)
So I see your domestic help travails continues from Chennai to Bangalore. Hope you find someone you like soon :)
Goththa, bekkaa, slowly slowly the little bit of Kannada I know is coming back to me. More pls Terri's mom
Sorry to hear that. Hasn't one of the maids asked mom to "swalpa adjust madi" yet?
Veena
Veena, all this angst is after adjusting.
WA, I'd love to go for Kannada classes and learn how to speak.
Sands, story of my life. I want Erica back.
Shobha, I've chosen to let our garden be barren so I don't have to deal with any more domestic help. It also helps that I have no interest in gardening.
rads, were you planning to move back to India?
munna_bhai, I draw the line at cleaning bathrooms, especially in India. They make me want to barf. For the record, nobody can clean a bathroom quite like dad. The man does a superlative job. Unfortunately, he refuses to do it in India.
I'm going to go home and hug Pushpa (maid)! I was giving her the silent treatment for having smashed the ear of a mug that I'd had for 15 years. But she is often better put together than me (certainly no BO!) and does a decent job with only occasional prodding.
-DS (wishing you much maid karma)
DS, am thinking of you right now - today's maid speaks only Telugu.
Hoping that you soon find a maid whose horoscope is in tune with yours:)
O I fantasized for a brief 1 week. Then I thought again. :)
"today's maid speaks.. " - sounds almost like the menu board of a hotel
Put a board on the blog to describe the maid of that day.:)
Since you seem to be constantly moving, looking for maids, fearing from houses with lizards, give Bombay a try too. Kuch nahi tho, you will learn 5 languages in a week including the swear words. December ka Christmas vacation me try kar, ok?
Guddi, Bombay? You don't think I should come back instead? Sob, sob. You've changed.
Sachita, we're waiting for a Mallu maid next. Have maid the acquaintance of a Kannadiga, Tamilian, Oriya and Telugu one so far.
rads, your tolerance level seems greater than mine, so you might adjust maadi better here.
dipali, I need a Stepford maid.
Wow, is it so difficult. Maybe the area is like that. The Kannada maids we've had so far were so clean- it was a refreshing change from TN.
Well, now I'm struggling in the country you left, because we cannot afford a maid.
Good luck with your hunt.
-Viji
Viji, somehow housework seemed easier over there. Or maybe it seemed less cumbersome because it was our own house as opposed to a rental. Good luck to you too.
I so agree, housework here is a lot easier than managing domestic help in India.
You have some serious bad luck with maids. It's true though; it's difficult to find decent maids in India, except in Bombay. Think of exporting one from there.
Your house has four bathrooms? Wow!
terri:
"You just need to find the right match" ...
to light the perfect fire under their keysters! ;-)
"Such a person does exist, two of them in fact, who left our house sparkling and smelling of citrus rather than body odor.
Unfortunately, they don't live in this country."
whabbou dad? ;-)
- s.b.
s.b., dad believes in outsourcing.
chakli, three bedrooms, but four full bathrooms. I'm not sure what the logic is. We only use two of them, the lizards probably use the other two.
WA, if you want something to be perfect do it yourself, right?
welcome home :D
Internet Casino tyuueooru
http://stonewalljacksoncarnival.org/ - Download Casino
Play wherever and whenever you want The best thing about online casino is that you don?t have to visit your local casino in order to meet your gambling desire.
[url=http://stonewalljacksoncarnival.org/]Casino Gambling Game[/url]
It?s obviously due the comfort and easiness arriving with the online casino that many people, at present, are choosing to stick with online casino rather the traditional land-based casinos.
Best Online Casino
Online casino seems to take the industry by storm.
Post a Comment