The humans went out to lunch. Together. With no children to interrupt their attention every 3.5 seconds.
Now such an event may seem ordinary to you if you’re blessed with a spouse who enjoys spending time with you, but for mom, a couple outing is the equivalent of a hormonal teenager spending time with an adult magazine behind closed doors.
In fact, she is still pinching herself at her good fortune, because the last time mom was alone with dad - outside their bedroom, that is - they went for a movie after much arm-twisting on her part.
As with most good things in life, this "date" was completely unplanned. It started with mom getting heartburn in the morning after regurgitating the previous night’s dinner of spicy chickpeas.
Craving non-Indian food for lunch, she crossed her fingers and asked dad, as casually as if she were commenting on the weather, if he wanted to go out that morning. “You know … go for a drive … maybe grab some lunch on the way?”
With heart hammering, she waited for him to veto the idea. Instead, he surprised her with an “OK, where do you want to go?”
Perhaps dad’s ready acceptance was the result of a recent spat between the humans over … um … er … what the hell was it about anyway? … that resulted in both parties avoiding each other for a few days.
Maybe the cold shoulder and the dry spell got to him, or maybe the spicy chickpeas were irritating his stomach lining as well. Whatever the reason, dad not only took his wife out, he also made conversation that extended beyond his habitual, “Hmmm.”
The humans headed to a restaurant that came with high recommendations. “You simply must go there,” gushed a friend, setting up lofty expectations of lip-smacking Continental food.
The place was filled with expats and the menu looked promising, but after a bite of her aubergine dish, mom wondered if the nondescript dosai place they had passed on the way might have been a better option.
It probably would’ve been a lot cheaper too, for when they were presented with the bill, the restaurant had inflated mom’s Rs. 70 dish to a whopping Rs. 250.
“They probably just made a mistake,” said dad. Mom had her own theories, but for the sake of marital accord, she decided not to voice them.
After lunch, trying to push her luck and prolong the “date,” mom suggested they drive out of the way to a grocery store called Spar. “They have a big liquor section,” she added quickly, before the frown lines formed on dad’s forehead.
Built with NRIs in mind, Spar is everything a Nilgiri’s or a Reliance Fresh is not. The first time she went there, mom had to keep reminding herself that she was still in India. Smiling expats wheeled their carts around saying, “Excuse me,” when they had to pass; the aisles were wide enough to accommodate might-is-right NRIs who leave their manners behind at the Frankfurt airport; and the staff made an attempt to guide shoppers instead of delivering the standard “Gothilla,” when asked for help.
As usual, mom came home loaded with stuff she didn’t really need. More importantly, she came home smiling. No, dad didn’t buy her roses as she secretly wished, but he did reach for her hand instinctively as they crossed a busy intersection, and didn’t object when she fiddled with the radio channels in the car.
What’s that?
Why, yes, it did rain that day.
Why do you ask?

40 comments:
*Sigh* Some people have all the luck. Do take some anti-drishti measures.
awwwww!! That's so sweet Terri's mom. Now you know the secret. Ask him after a few days of silence ;)
Something in the Bengaluru air perhaps! Good- I'm sure you needed the rain:)
terri:
the takeaway is that mom and dad need to visit busy intersections more often!
something does not sound right. mom blames dad for everything that's not right under the sun (or the clouds), but look: mom only has to say 'go to india' and zoom ... the genie delivers the entire family (kitchen sink included) to india. mom says let's go eat out, and wham ... she's at a place where not just bellies but even menus get inflated! mom says 'lizards hai hai' and the hero finds a unhalli place. i think mom should worship dad just like that bhavna mami worships manoj (the telemarketer - hopefully, you remember him).
i am confused. this spar, is it in chennai or bengaluru? this probably counts as a rhetorical question; no way would they say (or be expected to say) gothilla in chennai!
- s.b.
s.b., Spar is in Bangalore. It brings a whiff of "home" to RNRIs.
1. What kitchen sink?
2. Unhalli does not exist in India. I'd be nervous even in a seven-star hotel.
3. Maybe one day dad will propose a real "date" of his own volition, without any prompting on mom's part.
4. Unless the outing ends on a sweet note (i.e., ice cream) it might not qualify as a real date.
dipali, after sweltering in Chennai, I'm enjoying the natural airconditioning here.
Sands, you mean pick another fight and make up/out after a few days? Given the humans' track record, that shouldn't be too difficult.
inbavalli, how many hints do you think I've dropped about wanting to watch "Angels & Demons" in the theater? I know I'm going to have to take your example and go watch a movie all by myself one of these days.
Terri, I've news for you. My current home has no, I mean N-O, lizard! Wish I knew why so that I can rework the magic in my new house.
terri's mom:
re: #4 - i think t's dad should just buy a bunch of dates and hand them to you. you should keep them in your purse, and eat one per trip back home from any outing that has the 'date potential'. thus, you will not only have your dates, but you will eat them too. ;-)
"I'm enjoying the natural airconditioning here."
unless a week makes such a huge difference or you live in a stratospheric dwelling, you must be much more easier to please (strictly said with a/c in mind) than me (maybe it is the year's experience or where that year was spent that makes the difference).
- s.b.
Lucky Mom! Actually managing an outing without a single argument. She needs to share tips with her readers. I think my kids are going to soon start believing that outing = arguments
Veena
aw! So there's hope for men of that ilk after all? :O
Alright, I know what to do once the man comes home. 1 cold shoulder with a side of spicy chickpea coming right up! :-)
grocery store saves the date! how romantic that the humans rekindled their love over cauliflower and aloo...who needs fancy-schmancy continental restaurant.
wow, after reading so much, I must make an honest confession. I have become a big fan of dad. btw , writing this on the ferry from Wellington to picton. cheers srikanth.
Laughing at the "hormonal teenager with adult magazine" metaphor -- if that isn't high praise for Dad I don't know what is.
Quarrels and spats between between a couple are almost foreplay sometimes :) Why else would long-married adults squabble over ping-pong?
Speaking of sparring,is this the Spar in Koramangala? I gotta try it; more that once we've foolishly ventured to the Total mall grocery store on a weekend evening and upong viewing the teeming masses, decided we could manage without milk and veggies for a bit.
We snoozed through most of A&D, I'd say wait for the DVD.
-DS
Bah. Mom I'm sorry to say this but you're an ungrateful drama queen. I'd have been satisfied for the whole of my life if my husband actually did this: http://terristurf.blogspot.com/2008/05/it-was-on-her-fifteenth-birthday-that.html
gds, was that a romantic date? Nope, it was a family outing, and hence doesn't qualify.
DS, Spar is like a regular American grocery store. It's impressive if you've left 3/4 of your heart in another country.
Srikanth, we're also a big fan of dad. And you're surfing the Web on a ferry? What about looking out the window?
Chakli, it wasn't the grocery store, it was the spicy chole dish from the night before.
rads, don't forget the dry spell.
Veena, an outing without arguments is such a rare occurrence it deserves a blog posting.
s.b., if only you knew how much I miss dates from Costco. Even though they look like juicy roaches in a box, they make my mouth water.
And please, no dissing Bangalore weather. People who think it's hot here deserve a stint in Chennai.
inbavalli, maybe the lizards are afraid of the madi maamis as well? On a serious note, if you find out why/how, please let me know.
You should go to Metro..the aisles are wide enough to drive a jeep..except they only sell in bulk..so you end up with 100 rolls of toilet paper :-|
P.S: Way to go Dad..set the example...
vijay:
talking of wide aisles ... this probably should be a whole blog post ... but i was hounded to get a cart at this store in bengalooru.
once i got the cart, i faced a driver's worst nightmare - one lane two-way streets with the equivalent of squatting cows in the middle of the aisle (actually, it was the same saleswoman who goaded me to get the cart, sitting on the ground rearranging items on the shelves)!
i failed to understand the logic of having shopping carts when an aisle is not wide enough to accommodate two carts. maybe it is because the aisle itself was short enough that a kid could hop, skip and jump across it in one go!
terri:
maybe i should not dis bengalooru weather, but ... the reason i got hounded to get the shopping cart was because i was sweating like crazy (yes, in bengalooru) and they (from the upper management seth down to the foot soldier/bum squatter) probably thought that i could not lug two shopping baskets - each of them maybe half the size of corresponding ones here in the usa - around the store.
- s.b.
vijay, I didn't know there was a wholesale store here. Unfortunately, we don't live anywhere close to it, otherwise the 100 rolls of toilet paper would've come in handy.
s.b., what were you doing at a wholesale store on a short trip to India? Did you run out of toilet paper?
terri:
my bad - it was not a wholesale store. and no, i did not get delhi belly in bengalooru (thank the lord above!).
- s.b.
Aww....that's so sweet terri. Is dad even capable of cold shoulders? To me dad = patience personified :-)Haven't seen you guys in ages....
Vijay, I thought Metro was only for (small?) business owners? Which I think you are .. but can corporate slaves also get a membership?
-DS
@DS... Correct..but there are as many individuals who are members as there are businesses...
Metro seems to have only two locations in Bangalore. Correct, Vijay?
P.S. Someone wanted to know if alcohol, in addition to toilet paper, is available there.
Sole, you haven't seen us in ages, which is why you still think dad = patience personified :)
well, couldnt post this earlier, but outside the temp was 4 degrees, and there wasn't anything anything better to do...hey you keen on pics?
Anon, are you at the right blog? Do you have a blog where you can post these pics, maybe?
Mom, had dad heard about a very American concept called date night? I recommend once a month of non-kid interaction. Now, to practice what I preach...
I think that Anon with the pics is Srikant from NZ?
-DS
LOL, DS had a good catch there:)
I thought it was some sort of spam as well but without any external website link, it didnt make sense! I had a good laugh.
""Angels & Demons" in the theater?" - why just hints? why cant mom book the ticket and take Dad along, now that she can drive:)
@terri: Alcohol is their biggest selling item..there is however a limit on the quantity..hence sometimes I am invited by friends so they can increase their quota...
Theres one in Yeshwantpur and another on Kanakapura road (relatively close by to your part of town)
terri:
"Alcohol is their biggest selling item.."
i suggest 'metro' for the next date night!
sachita:
'""Angels & Demons" in the theater?" - why just hints?'
you are so right. wives should stop hinting, else husbands will stay confused on what's a hint and what's not! here's an example hypothetical scenario that might've occurred recently:
------------------------
husband (after breaking one, or more, of the commandments) to wife: honey! i'm so sorry. please forgive me.
wife (without looking at husband): take a hike!
husband leaves quietly; after much thinking, he interprets the phrase 'take a hike' ...
... a few days later ...
reporters (to wife): ma'm, where's your husband?
wife: oh, in the appalachians somewhere, maybe. i told him to go on a hike so he could re-discover himself. i haven't spoken with him for a week.
... i assume you know how this ended!
------------------------
- s.b.
s.b., lunch date at Metro? But what will teetotaler wives do in a place that sells alcohol? Unless, of course, they give out free samples of tiramisu and mozzarella sticks.
Vijay, wholesale alcohol + toilet paper sold under the same roof. What's not to love?
Sachita, you sound like dad now; as does s.b. It's not the activity that matters, it's the outing, as also the thought that counts. Here's an example of a hypothetical scenario that might've occurred recently:
Wife: "I feel like having an ice cream."
Husband: "Hmmm."
Wife: "I said, I feel like having an ice cream. Do you want to drive me to Baskin-Robbins?"
Husband: "Now?"
Wife (refraining from sarcasm): "Well, yes. I think the kids would like to go too."
Husband: "Why don't you guys go? Also, the next time you're at the grocery store, make sure you buy enough ice cream for your cravings. We have a large enough freezer."
P.S. Did you get the hint?
Another example:
Wife (yawning): "I'm going to bed. Do you want to come up?"
Husband: "Hmmm."
Wife (trying again): "Should I turn the lights out downstairs?"
Husband (brows furrowed, looking at laptop): "Why don't you go up? I'll finish what I'm doing and come up later."
... I assume you know how this ended!
Muser, date nights have been proposed before (and rejected). Why do you think mom grasps at straws?
DS, ah ha; Srikanth you should start a photo blog since you live in such a beautiful country.
terri:
i just now realized that not many folks outside the usa would have a clue about my "hypothetical scenario." so, here are a couple of links:
one
two
dad is smart. he's made sure you can catch fish; now how can you expect him to fish for you? no wonder sachita and i side with him :-).
- s.b.
knowing men(not specific to dad at all), i think one should just take atleast the activity and be happy.
They just seem to be born with lesser amount of emotions/thoughts and so on..
s.b., of course we're not familiar the scenario. We're still mourning whacko Jacko.
Sachita, you mean adjust maadi and be happy with hand outs? Hmmm.
I have to ask, which restaurant is this? Just so I can avoid it in future.
Ron, *cough, cough* "Verbs & Vices" might even be your favorite restaurant. Perhaps the non-vegetarian fare is worth writing about.
Terri - I still can't believe you are living in India...just like that out of the blue you moved there and now you sound like you are so comfortable there...amazing. Of course you grew up there but you know the readjustment back to certain things that you get used to in the US...you seem to have had no problems - except for the lizards...
And the kids too - looks like they take things in stride...
Oh Verbs and Vices...Im guessing its the one in Whitefield that you went to? Its nice in terms of ambience at least, like the old bungalow and the gardens, food is about average nothing great.
Im told Sunnys on Lavelle Road has awesome continental food. I tried, but the management and waiters are bit too snooty, so got pissed off and left. Try it if you want :)
Ron, actually it was the other more famous Verbs & Vices we went to. Next stop will be Sunny's, although all the people who've raved about it are not vegetarian.
noon, the lizards alone are enough to make me want to return to the U.S. However, the kids have so many friends here, they might not feel the same way I do.
You must try Chandni Chowk in Koramangala. I liked it. Dhaba-like ambience and great food.
Their kulfi is to die for.
-Viji
Post a Comment