Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Song of the Wind

Having heard much about the power of yoga for body toning, mom signed up for classes earlier this year in Chennai.

“I have to lose weight; I want to lose weight; I must lose weight,” she chanted, as ardently as the priest at the neighboring Ganesha temple intoned the evening prayer.

Despite being born under the sign of the lion, mom possesses none of the animal’s agility, energy or endurance. Physical activity, other than occasional lovemaking, bores her, and she’d rather watch the grass grow than sit through a game of tennis or cricket. To tell you the truth, the woman bears a close resemblance to an Indian buffalo in manner and bearing – she’s slightly slow on the uptake and most reluctant to mooooove once she rests her derrière in a comfortable spot.

A few months ago, a family wedding in the offing finally stirred mom out of her lethargy and motivated her to join a couple of maamis in the neighborhood every evening for what she thought would be light stretching and deep breathing.

“Close your eyes, inhale and bend down while exhaling,” instructed the yoga master instead, watching maamis of assorted bulk tuck in their jingling mangalsutras and guts and bend forward to touch their toes.

“Saar, saar, teach some exercise for arthritis/spondylitis/high blood pressure/sugar, no?” the maamis would beseech, while mom requested tummy toning asanas.

One evening, the master asked the ladies if they were ready for an abdominal exercise that would greatly reduce their girth.

“Yes!” shouted mom, who saw no deflation in her spare tire even after three months of twisting herself into pretzel and challah bread shapes.

A maami of a certain age raised her hand. “One doubt, saar. Is it all right to do it if you’ve had a C-section?” she wanted to know.

After assuring the woman that the exercise would have no bearing on her C-section surgery, performed approximately 25 years ago, the master asked the women to lie down on their mats.

“Tighten your stomach as much as you can,” he told the maami closest to him. Holding a chair for support, he stood on the woman’s abdomen and proceeded to knead her stomach with his feet, as though he were playing the piano with his toes. “This is called abdominal jogging,” he explained to the group. “Very effective in reducing potbellies.”

Mom watched horrified as the woman closed her eyes and allowed herself to be stimulated in such fashion for a few minutes.

“How does it feel?” asked the master when he jumped off the woman.

“Wonderful!” she gasped.

The master then proceeded to knead several other maamis similarly before he reached mom’s mat.

“Sir, I don’t think I can do this,” she suggested weakly.

“Nonsense! Look at the others, they all enjoyed it,” said the master dismissing her fears. “Even C-section maami didn’t object.”

“Yes, but sir …” protested mom, unable and unwilling to stomach a grown man’s body weight on herself under such circumstances.

“OK, I’ll put only one foot on you,” said the master. “We can try the advanced technique when you’re more comfortable.”

Mom closed her eyes and clenched her belly. She felt the master’s heel through her shirt.

“Ready aa?” he asked and lightly pressed her belly button.

A sudden roar filled the room, sounding exactly like the revving of the master’s Yamaha motorcycle parked outside.

“What the ___?” thought mom, before she realized that the sound was emanating from her - the pressure on her paunch had quite literally released the wind out of her.

The master recoiled from her body; the maamis in Shavasana lay still as corpses as mom, unable to regain control of her gluteus maximus, expelled the intestinal gases from her body in fits and starts like a coughing engine.

“Sorry,” she whispered to no one in particular, thankful for the sea breeze that blew into the room and the incense sticks lit under a photo of Sai baba.

Just as her face turned the exact shade of her ruby red T-shirt, the master mercifully called for the class to end. Even before the Om vibrations receded in the room, mom gathered her mat and ran out the door. When she reached the far end of the street, she heard a low rumble behind her. Clutching her stomach in dismay, she stopped abruptly, startling the stray dogs snoozing in a corner.

Mom need not have worried.

It was merely the master’s Yamaha, firing up to take him to his next destination.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spare tyre? Are we talking about the same mom? Or is there a liberal dose of dramatic license in play?

He STOOD on your tummy? "Abdominal jogging"? ROFL. Me thinks y'all have a pervert in yoga-saar's clothing there and he deserved being farted on/under.

-DS

stringOfPearls said...

The yoga sir does seem to be taking too many liberties with the unsuspecting maamis..

Your post frequently have such a self deprecating tone... Hardly deserved...

Broom said...

What a pervy teacher! Did you ever go back to the class?

(I'm still laughing)

Terri the terrific said...

No, no, no, ladies, sir was perfectly decent and very well qualified! The situation would've possibly occurred with a woman on top also.

Anonymous said...

LOL - yoga is so relaxing isn't it!

M (scarred by pavanamuktasana living up to its name!)

Sands said...

I am still baffled that you feel the need to lose weight. Seriously!!

On the actual class am still ROFL!! Can't imagine you ever saying these things except in this space :)

Terri the terrific said...

M, did it occur in private or public? (Public can also mean in front of children who will screw up their noses and say really loudly, "Hey, what's that stink?")

Sands, have you seen me in a two piece bikini? Now you know why.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. I was expecting something else when I read the title. This is much better of course!

Veena

Raj said...

a long time reader - this one for me is close to your best written pieces-overall you have a wonderful skill for conveying your life happenings- and this one for me is the cream!

Sig said...

Hahahahah still giggling at the thought of the yoga mater being farted on in the midst of his 'abdominal jogging' :P

Vijay said...

Havent laughed this hard in a while... still giggling..

wordjunkie said...

LOL! You certainly were the wind beneath his wings, weren't you?

Will spend the rest of the day giggling uncontrollably over this post, which just might reduce MY spare tyre.

Sole said...

Oh boy...at work and laughed so hard..people started giving me worried looks until I quickly changed the page I was looking at!!! You certainly have a way with words and the twist you give them is hilarious!

Shilpa Colluru said...

Hilarious!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for providing this funny post. It was a good laughter medicine in the morning. I will read it again another time.

Looking at comments from people who have met you in real life, i think the self deprecation is definitely added for effect.

- Shree

Anonymous said...

"Abdominal jogging". Never heard of it. Googling/Binging it returns only 'Terri's Turf'. Looks like Yoga saar will next teach 'Jalabulajunx' and 'Dickilona' to all maamis.

-Anon

Sachita said...

Tm, you are such a sport, i would just sweep such incidents under the carpet and get angry at others who remind me of it.

On the other hand, being slim and still cribbing about losing weight.. not cool at all!

ps: just in case you didnt know, the previous anon comment has reference to the movie Gentleman. those games were quite crude.

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, the weight is hidden. It needs to be lost. Thanks for explaining; I would've had no idea what Anon was talking about.

Anon, hope yoga saar doesn't Google abdominal jogging and land here.

Shree, Ms. Meph., sole, thanks. I'm sure the Chennai class will never forget me.

wordjunkie, try Kapalbhati (700 strokes). That seems to help spare tires.

Vijay, still waiting for that accident post. I'm not driving until then.

Silvara, the master has been teaching for a long time and in lots of different places around the country. I was too embarrassed to ask if this has happened to him before.

Raj, thank you for your kind words.

Veena, but this post is also about music and melody, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

hahaha...the learning never stops...Srikanth

neo said...

Call me old fashioned, but I decided I'll stick with more conventional exercise until a 200 year old yogi walks into my gym and levitates me off the bench.

So imagine my shock when a bearded man walks in one day at the gym and calls me by name.

Turns out my subscription was past due.

-Neo
PS: Usually I don't say ROFL to fart jokes, but I'll make an exception this time because I actually did ROFL. So, ROFL.

Terri the terrific said...

Srikanth, I hope you're taking notes.

Neo, TY (Thank you).

Amrita said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I'm sorry, but as a person born under the sign of the bull, I think this served you right for that crack about bovines. Humpf.

[ps - didnt you notice that yoga had a significant effect on your, um, bowels? I always had to go to the bathroom after a yoga class.]

Lakhsmi said...

Oh Terri, I could hug mom. On my first yoga class, when the teacher asked me to do a sarvaangaasana, I went through the same...umm...motions.

But that aside, what tire? I didn't see any...

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haven't laughed this loud in a very long time! Hilarious! I am still laughing. Imagined the whole scene even though I haven't seen your face. At least everyone stood still. Would have been embarrassing if they had laughed, which is my natural reaction to bowel revving.
-Viji

Terri the terrific said...

Viji, you laugh even now? As kids, we used to giggle every time grandfather lifted his buttock off the chair at regular intervals and let it rip. "At least it doesn't smell," he used to justify.

Lakshmi, Vajrasana is another dangerous pose, don't you think?

Amrita, bovines may be slow, but they're darned cute. They have the loveliest pair of eyes. And don't even get me started on the way calves look.

A Muser said...

Looks like the teacher hit the sweet spot! Heheeh! I think mom should try hot yoga. Intense, but guaranteed to lose weight and tone body.

Terri the terrific said...

A Muser, is hot yoga the one where you sweat like a pig? In that case, any yoga done in Chennai would be considered hot.

Meera said...

I thought this post was funny, but my husband thought it was hillarious with a capital H.I enjoyed reading your blogs, and thought he'd like this... and boy did he like this post!! I've never seen him laugh this much in all the years of our marriage. Seriously :)

So thanks.
Meera

Terri the terrific said...

Meera, men and fart jokes! Sometimes I don't understand the attraction. But I'm glad I made somebody else's husband laugh :)

Meera said...

Terri, it wasn't just that actually (I'm sure it had something to do with it :) ), but he said he was picturing the whole scene with the maamis and the "saar", and he couldn't stop laughing!

Keep on writing though - you definitely have a flair for it.

Meera

Anonymous said...

Terr, yes I do (I know, I know, it's bad), but it's reserved only for family. It's an involuntary reaction.
-Viji