My darling Terr,
I waited for you in my dreams last night, but you never showed. Perhaps, as an anonymous commentator mentioned, you’re too busy stealing chappals and eating chapattis? Will you meet me tonight, if only for a moment?
I woke up late this morning because nobody nudged me awake at 6:30, demanding to be let out. The house is empty without you. Nobody trips me in the kitchen, nobody comes rushing when I rustle the bread wrapper, and nobody waits expectantly when the aroma of hot rotis fills the air.
It’s strange to look beside the refrigerator now and find an empty corner instead of your food bowls. I listen for your footfalls on the stairs when I’m in my room, expecting you to poke your head around the door to see what I’m doing.
There are moments when I get a whiff of you around me, and I inhale deeply to fill my lungs with your memory. I was poking in the refrigerator this morning looking for yoghurt when I swear I heard you sigh behind me. I talk to you constantly, hoping you can hear me.
Terri, I’m so sorry for all the times I shouted at you. I’m sorry I was rough with you and jerked your leash hard on purpose. I’m sorry I called you “Stupid dog” whenever you peed in the neighbor’s house. I’m sorry I smacked your bottom when you ate things you weren’t supposed to. I’m sorry I cribbed about walking you. I’m sorry for all the moments I wished I didn’t have a dog tugging ay my heartstrings. And I’m sorry I didn’t take you to the vet when you looked sick. I really thought I could wait another day.
I didn’t expect you to collapse writhing on the floor around midnight. Do you think I can ever forget how you dragged your body to the first floor, to be in my room as you breathed your last? Did you see me hover over you, listening for a heartbeat? Did you hear me call you, asking you to wake up? Did you taste my salty tears as they spilled over you?
I’m sorry, my love, my darling heart. If you were here, you’d lick my tears dry and push me gently with your wet nose, urging me to get up and hand you a treat.
Thank you, my first-born, for enriching my life in countless ways. Are you waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge? Look for a small white dog named “Lily” from my childhood. She knew me for almost as long as you did.
Forever yours,
Mom

38 comments:
Hugs, dear Terri's mom.
It breaks my heart to see you so.
Much love and prayers send your way.
Take heart.
Just doesn't feel right commenting, but I am tearing reading this.
I so badly want one of my own now. :(
I am so sorry. I teared up reading this.
Hugs and prayers.
So sorry for your loss. I hope you forgive yourself as I am sure terri does.
Just breaks my heart reading this. Cannot begin to imagine how it must be for you and your family..
Teared up again Mom. I'm terrified of dogs, but I've been thinking of Terri so much yesterday and today.
Please don't apologise to Terri, he loved you and more importantly knew he was loved.
Hugs
TM, this post made me cry. Maybe more 'coz I can see everything Terri did is what Z does. I hope & pray you find the strength to heal soon.
I'm so sorry :( You know, Terri was the only dog I ever loved.
I don't know how appropriate this is - but please do get yourself another pet. It really helps the kids tide over the loss.
made me cry. memories, they mean so much, yet they tear you.
I can't stop the tears from flowing. Don't be too hard on yourself - Terri knew how much you loved him and his memories will be with you forever. Hugs.
This brought tears..brings back so many memories.
Hope you feel better soon. How are the kids doing?
Veena
I m so so sorry! I ve buried 4 pets, 3 dying in my lap and it still tears me up thinking abt it. It never gets easier.
I am sooo soo soo sorry... Its an irrelpacable loss. I have buried a dog and know how much it hurts..
Oh man...You have me bawling now...We were thinking of getting a dog next year but I don't know if I am strong enough to handle the loss when it eventually comes.....
waaaah! :(
:( Take care Terri's mom
You break my heart, Terri's mom... bawl.
This post made me cry :(
So sorry for your loss, Terris Mom. May he rest in peace.
--ss
Awww...made go up and hug Dex - my silly idiot just licked my face - made me tear up as well...
I'm so sorry....
It was a very heartfelt post Terri's mom. Again my condolences. Please take care.
Take care. It'll be so hard for all of you. I still can't quite believe it.
My heartfelt sympathies. He will be truly missed.
Oh no! Just catching up with blogworld and then this... so so sorry. Take care T's mom - for you will always be T's mom.
You were the best mom to Terri and he knew that.
lots of hugs
My heartfelt condolences. This is so sudden and awful. Take care.
Sorry to hear about the loss, more strength to you during this tough times
You extended e-family is always there for you
this teared me up. Terri couldnt have got a better mom. He loved all of you.
I'm sorry for your loss Terri's mom.
Heart wrenching letter, mom. What can I say? Hugs to you. Terri knows.
A big hug for you, Terri's mom. I'm sure he knew you loved him as much as he loved you.
Hugs.
Was stunned when my hubby (he reads you too) told me about Terri, mom. Big hugs to you and the kids. I know exactly how you feel. :( May Terri be telling his tall tales wherever he's at.
I miss Terri along with you...what a sweet dog! God - death is just cruel for those left behind. Only time can make it a little better...
Terri you will be missed! I know how hard it is Terri's mom (lost my NC in BLR also), hang in there! - VK
I'm really sorry Terri's mom. -Nandini
Huge hugs coming your way. This was heartbreaking:-(
Thank you again, folks. I really didn't expect this kind of a response.
Post a Comment