Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Pay it Forward

Mom hasn’t read the book yet since she’s on a watch-it-first-read-it-later spree. The movie is captivating enough for her to want to read the book, but wouldn’t you know it, our local library doesn’t carry the title.

“So what? Just buy the book,” some of you might suggest, but mom is against buying paperbacks, especially one-time reads, when there’s a functional library nearby. (Yup, she’s cheap that way.)

The film is based on the premise of showering kindness on random strangers. A fifth-grader takes his social studies assignment of “changing the world” seriously and decides to make a difference in the lives of three people. He then hopes that the three people he helps will repay their debt by helping three others, who will, in turn, help three others and thus keep the kindness chain unbroken until it impacts as many people as possible.

The boy starts out by lending a helping hand to a homeless drug addict. He then connives to have his lonely teacher and alcoholic mother fall in love, and finally extends his kindness to save a classmate from bullies on the playground.

Helen Hunt plays the alcoholic single mother who works two jobs to support her son and her habit. She delivers her dialogs with the speed of a semi-automatic – a trait mom found rather annoying while watching her in “Mad About You.” She also looks her worst in this movie, dressing like a hooker with streaky eye makeup as she waitresses in a strip club.

Mom never noticed Kevin Spacey much before, but his role as a burned, scarred teacher who is afraid to love in this movie drew her attention. Despite a never-changing expression on his face, the man makes love to the camera in a subdued, controlled manner, never revealing his emotions but smiling secretly to himself. Each time Helen Hunt throws herself at him, he moans softly and pulls away, leading one to believe that there are men out there who can resist the allure of a semi-dressed, willing woman.

As a large-hearted man, the pedantic teacher falls for a recovering alcoholic and restores some of her dignity. On her part, the woman overlooks his scars and discovers the person hiding underneath the puckered skin.

As a shining example of her own random act of kindness, mom would like to start by adopting a dog.

Ahem … is her spouse listening?

11 comments:

mysterious_malady said...

'She also looks her worst in this movie, dressing like a hooker with streaky eye makeup as she waitresses in a strip club.'

... that is the entire point of her character?

Terri the terrific said...

m_m, it is. No arguments there :)

Pretty Woman said...

I loved the movie too!!! :-) It affected me so much I did a post on it too...and wanted to be a noble and good soul...except the epiphany lasted only for a while!! I have to agree it was a lovely movie..

Terri the terrific said...

Pretty Woman, I have a feeling the book's better. Can't get my hands on it, though, so I'm reading The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.

Lakshmi said...

Umm..sounds like a soppy romance to me, ala, The Bridges of Madison County and You Got Mail rolled into one.
Not my cuppa.

Anonymous said...

TM, I like the new subtle changes to the site, its title.
Kevin Spacey - When I first watched his American Beauty, I admit I failed to understand plenty. I happened to watch it again recently, being older and wiser, appreciated the movie and his acting very much. Helen Hunt - the only role I liked her in was with Paul Reiser in Mad About You. Actually, I just remembered, they had an adorable dog too..

-rm

Terri the terrific said...

Lakshmi, it's NOT a soppy romance, otherwise I'd be barfing with you. It's a family drama, even though it's not appropriate for little kids.

rm, after watching this movie, I've been thinking of re-renting American Beauty, just for Spacey's sake.
I haven't gotten used to the title change yet. Every time I open up the blog, it feels different, instead of comfortingly familiar.

mayo said...

Try the movie Usual Suspects..Kevin Spacey did a good job in it. :)

ara said...

hey J,
was AWESOME seeing ya. looking like a million bucks, btw. check out "The life of david gale" also kevin spacey -- i found it gripping, mindblowing.

;-)a

Terri the terrific said...

ara, I've already watched "TLDG." You had recommended it years ago. Loved it! It was great to catch up with you again. We had a great time!

mayo, I think I've seen Usual Suspects. That's the movie with a cast of criminals and no women, no romance, right?

mayo said...

Yep, that's the one!