Monday, October 05, 2009

The beginning of the end

I wish I could say that the reason for this blog hiatus is because mom is busy settling a new family member in. But the big news from her side is that after a year's sabbatical, she’s back in the work force. After driving 60 miles a day in her previous position, mom’s new workplace is a hop, skip, jump away from home.

The biggest blessing - aside from the paycheck, return of self-confidence, feeling of usefulness, etc. - is that dad is home. While mom’s gone for nine plus hours a day, he answers the doorbell for the courier guy, Bigflix guy, other random doorbell ringers, decides on the dinner menu and instructs the cook, ensures the children are fed after school and done with their homework, shops for groceries and acts as mom’s chauffeur by ferrying her to and from work.

Given the unconventional work hours (11 a.m. onward), mom starts her day with yoga classes in the morning. Bending and stretching after breakfast makes her feel better when she goes up to the chaatwala at work and orders a fried dish and gulps it down with a glass of freshly-squeezed musambi juice.

After suffering, yes suffering! as a vegetarian in U.S. cafeterias, mom is grateful for the subsidized Indian buffet spread and sandwich counter at work. The men behind the counter may not wear gloves, but they're willing to customize the food (mirchi kum; butter beda) and apt to turn the other way when people help themselves to a cup of yoghurt or rice from the buffet bar without paying the full meal price of Rs. 40.

A big jug of complimentary buttermilk arrives at noon in the break room, and three kinds of biscuits (salt, sweet, 50-50) are available all day to complement endless cups of masala tea, hot chocolate, badam milk, coffee and hot milk.

Despite distractions, such as hot samosas on rainy afternoons and impromptu birthday parties thrown for co-workers, mom does manage to get some work done - just in case you're wondering.

Evenings are spent wistfully glancing out the office window to watch the sun disappear behind buildings, and by the time she reaches home, the kids are yawning and rubbing their eyes. Mom’s own eyes start to droop after dinner, and she gratefully hits the sack, only to start her day at 6:30 the following morning.

School holidays allow her the luxury of spending an extra hour in bed until the maid rings the doorbell, but despite her tight schedule, mom now understands why some RNRIs are reluctant to go back.

"Who will leave this aaram zindagi and go back, yaar?" declared a Bay area-returned neighbor.

A few weeks ago when she was jobless and had nothing to lose, mom would've raised both hands and half her body in the air.

But, now, as she looks at the flowers in her lawn (courtesy the gardener), surveys the somewhat clean house she returns to (courtesy the maid), slides behind the wheel of a car that's been hosed and wiped down (courtesy the car cleaner), and tucks into the warm dinner that's laid out on the table each night (courtesy the cook), mom feels she almost knows what the neighbor means.

She'll probably raise only one hand in the air now, rather slowly.

35 comments:

Sands said...

Congratulations TM. That is super cool. Was thinking about you just a couple of days back. Sigh! I can imagine the joys of outsourcing household jobs :)

Deepa said...

Don't you hope though that some day very soon there will be no domestic help available in India because their children are well educated and have jobs that are non-menial and then the comforts ( or non) of living in the U.S. or India will be on par, no?

VK said...

Congratulations TM! happy for you:) so you are really not coming back:(?

rads said...

You traitor you!

:)

Annie said...

Awesome news on the job, Congrats!! So which company(rhetorical koshchen haha), sounds pretty good - no commute, lots of food, creativity, can i get a job here??

Sachita said...

awesome, happy for you, TM.
I am confused now, should i wish for dad's job(taking care of home with all sorts of help) or mom's(samosa for rs 7)?

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, you're going to have to move back to wish for either.

Annie, I thought most Indian companies provide food. I wonder what the interior of Google India looks like. I hear they have free food even in the U.S.

rads, don't give up on me. I still have one hand in the air.

VK, I never said that!

Deepa, I still contend there's no replacement to the super cleaning ladies I had over there. India on par with the U.S.? I think we'll destroy the planet for sure before we get there.

Sands, there's more pleasure in outsourcing jobs to husband than to the so-called "help."

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Super news. Maids, drivers, press-vala and a househusband too! Life sounds good!

Veena

Ron said...

Congrats. And I want a job in your company. We are in a similar field of work also..hire me I say. Btw, I have a friend in Google Delhi. Remind me to send you their days menu..starting with breakfast. Sigh.

Also, the doggie event is postponed. I shall let you know of the changed schedule.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Good to know that you got your wish with the kind of job you were looking for instead of marketing in kabul!! :-)

Best wishes!
Shree

Meera said...

I hope you'll still make time to blog.

Terri the terrific said...

Meera, it's probably the beginning of the end of this blog.

Shree, I wonder what the remuneration rates in Kabul are.

Ron, I hope they have yoga classes in addition to free food at Google.

Veena, no driver yet. Maybe we should add one to the "staff." And woe of woes, no doggie to make my life complete.

Meera said...

Oh no! Don't say that... you're a really talented and humorous writer - it'd be a shame if you didn't continue the blog.

Anonymous said...

[munna_bhai]

Maybe you can outsource your blog writing too..:-)

Terri the terrific said...

Meera, so kind of you to say so. But with my Muse gone, I haven't really felt like blogging, and it's starting to show.

munna_bhai, maybe I should outsource it to a potted plant that sits on my desk :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new job..but please please do not stop writing..do you have any faint idea that how much you lighten up your readers mood (especially the canine lovers)..one may - by insane blog hopping might stumble upon your blog unexcited..but then every post would bring curve a on the lips and then on be your silent reader(one like me)..that's the spirit of your writing...i got to get out of my shyness and voice out..so please consider and do not end your blog

-suchi

Sachita said...

nahi, yeh nahi ho sakta. pls 2 write regularly.

ra said...

yay, glad to see you back and happy! all those food descriptions have made me hungry.
also can you give me a job?

Terri the terrific said...

ra, free food is not good on one's waistline. But then you have no idea what I'm talking about since you have the opposite problem :)

Suchi, wow, you're talking about me?

Sachita and Suchi and others, the point of this post was that if I'm MIA or AWOL, then you know the reason.

Vijay said...

You have officially "turned the corner" now :-)

Anonymous said...

Of course,can understand how busy your days are going to be with the new job..but would like to hear from you on and off at least ..Good luck and take care

-suchi

dipali said...

Congrats! I was missing your posts.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Very happy for you :) Do continue to write.... please...

ra said...

you dare stop writing. an believe it or not, i have a paunch line these days

WA said...

Nice to see you back. Great news about the job, congratulations

PS: Little less about all the food available at your work place please. I am staring at my salad bowl right now :(

mayo said...

Yay @ new job. Echoing others..pls don't stop writing. Waiting to hear all about the peeps at the new work place.;)

Terri the terrific said...

My God, you people are as tough as the CEO. No slackening allowed, huh? I thought my sob story is rather convincing.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job...But don't stop writing...you had the blog much before your india job..so it deserves posts from you..

A Muser said...

Yay for mom! Congrats on the new job! I can't believe it's already been a year since you quit your previous one and moved to des. Time's flown. It does seem like life's so much more easier there with the drudgery of running a home taken up by other folks. Which should leave you more time to blog, no? Like the others, I do hope you'll continue writing. Even if it's sporadic and the inspiration low, presently.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back and good luck with the job too!!! ...Cheers Srikanth

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back and good luck with the job too!!! ...Cheers Srikanth

Sachita said...

Happy deepavali, terri's mom:)

Sue said...

Er, congrats?

I like having a job and I like having my job but I sorely miss being at home or being able to sleep in of a morning.

*sigh*

All Hail said...

Welcome back O Fave Blogger!
Stay on the blog - too bad, but once you started , you owe us.;-)

Anonymous said...

[munna_bhai]

Hey where are you??? Are you hiding.. C'mon you can;t leave us like that lurking for your blog entry