Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Long time no see!

See that adorable terrier mix wagging his tail furiously in the crowd? The one nervously wondering if you’re going to throw a rock at him or give him a warm hug?

That would be me, gentle readers, making a stage appearance on this blog in the style of Madhuri Dixit and other celebrity mothers on semi-retirement.

It’s been such a long time since I wrote anything worthwhile that I fear I may have forgotten how to write. The only reason I’m wiping the dust off this blog - at least for this one entry - is to thank all the people who write in from time to time asking how I am. You guys really make my day!

To all readers, here’s a quick recap of the last year or so that this blog has been lifeless:

  • Work – Mom’s first job in India lasted a mere 14 months. A pity, because just when she started enjoying myself, her entire team disbanded. One moment the woman felt like Cinderella at the ball, and the next moment she found herself standing beside the road holding a pumpkin. She jumped ship like the rest of her team did, and is now part of a huuuuge organization, feeling much like a fish out of water.
  • Play – Socially, my folks have never been busier. With dad’s sister living across the street and other friends in the complex, Friday nights and weekends ensure a steady stream of parties and impromptu get-togethers. So much so that when grandparents call, they preface the talk by asking, “What party this weekend?”
  • Pati –Mom has gotten so used to seeing dad as a permanent fixture on the couch, laptop balanced on knees, that she dreads the time it might end and he’s back in the work force. For now, she thanks her lucky stars that he’s there when she leaves in the morning and pretty much in the same position when she returns – unflappable, quiet, reliable and extremely undemanding.
  • Patni (exact opposite of the above) – The family made one trip back “home” in April. Living in India still feels like a vacation. Mom longs for the comfort and familiarity of their house in Chandler - the dry bathrooms, the sunlit kitchen, the spacious study, even the match-sized kids’ room. According to her, every nook and cranny of that house is filled with memories of me, the beloved pet, and mom in her younger days, when she was fitter, thinner, richer and more in control.
  • Aur woe – You see, the vacancy I left behind has not been filled. I doubt it ever will. The only way I foresee a dog in mom’s life is if she quits her job and stays home. “Well, why don’t you, Amma?” asks her seven-year-old. For starters, mom would go nuts. And secondly, it’s the money, honey. “But Appa has a lot of money," Kuki offers helpfully. "That’s why he keeps going to the bank to get some.”

21 comments:

bitsofchocolate said...

Almost thought that the new post indicator on Google Reader was playing tricks !

Great to see you back ! Hope you'll write often.

Happy New Year !

Sands said...

a warm hug ofcourse :) So good to see this update note. Well Chandler & Zoey miss you too. Keep writing girl!

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear from you, and here I thought I was joining you as the "ex-blogger" :-)

If only u'd mail or communicate more.. (notice I didn't say blogging)

Rads

Sachita said...

Great to hear from you! I had thought of even sending an email to the one on your profile - but then thought it might be bordering on stalking so stopped myself.

So Mom is the one providing the security blanket now, huh? You are the perfect couple!

The way you referred to India as still the distant place, I thought you had moved back.

Kuki cant be 7 yrs.

Shobha said...

So lovely to see this :)

B o o. said...

So you are alive! phew.

Good to hear from you.

Broom said...

Welcome back!

The Muser said...

good to see u back!

Vijay said...

OMG good to see you.... Hope this is not a guest appearance...

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!! Great to see you on the blog!

Happy new year and hope to hear from you more often. I am sure there are lots of general observations to humor us with!

- Shree

anantha said...

HULLO! Welcome back :)

Lakshmi said...

Whoa..thought my google reader was playing tricks on me.
SO fantastically, fabulously, breathtakingly good to hear from you. Yeah, I know life catches up, but please can you update now and then? Once a week? ok, once a fortnight? a month?

Anonymous said...

So wonderful to see you back! Yay!!

Veena

Terri the terrific said...

Wow! Good to know so many of you stop by. But I might not be back. I might just be playing peek-a-boo ;)

Anonymous said...

Just noticed you're back. Yay!!! Please keep writing.
Pavitra

B said...

Welcome back. Read with interest your bouts of nostalgia. "We look before and after and pine for what is not..."

Anonymous said...

terri:

i am currently reading a book 'thinking in hindi.' when i unconsciously read 'paati' for 'pati' in this post, i realized that i am apparently 'thinking in tamil' as i read this blog. why?!?!

sachita:

"Kuki cant be 7 yrs."

(ot) shouldn't kuki be referred to as 'biscuit' or something in india? ;-)

- s.b.

rover said...

oh dear, you are finally back!!!! i used to swing back every once in a while to check on you only to find no updates....today it took me a minute to remember your blog's name - but thank god i did!!

'ts great to have to back :) don't disapper again

dipali said...

How wonderful to see you here again. Thought of you often, kept checking here, hopefully, every couple of months. Please stay 'appeared'.

All Hail said...

So good to see you back. Hopefully more on "Aur Woe " later.
Stay happy.

Anonymous said...

I am sure there can be a monthly post to keep the lights on here! :-).

I do miss the humor your posts carry.

Please do write.

- Shree