
Since I feel compelled to share every intimate detail of my life, and some of you feel compelled to read about it, I’d like to announce that I am officially a decade old today.
No, that does not make me 70 in human years, as is widely believed. I’m on the younger side of 50, although I still look and behave like a spring chicken.
The humans have no clue when my real birthday is, since I ain’t no thoroughbred, and didn’t come with no papers. The good folks at the pound looked at my teeth and decided I was about seven months old, so mom counted back seven months to the day she brought me home and decided on Cinco de Mayo.
You’d think the humans would try to make my day special and take me out for margaritas and nachos. Not these cheapskates! There was no cake; not even a bowl of payasam - a rawhide bone and a bunch of kisses do not count. Even dad’s mom, who was here for a brief visit, left town today, of all days.
The family fussed over me for a few minutes this morning, somewhere between the time they sat up in bed and went to the bathroom to pee. Mom put on a happy face in front of the kids, but later, buried her head in my neck and thought about my advancing age. Trust the woman to spot a grey cloud behind every silver lining.
Moving right along, folks, let’s leave the moping and worrying to mom, who’s so good at it, and concentrate on moi, instead.
Thank you in advance, shy lurkers and brave readers, for your good wishes and warm thoughts. All the virtual attention is deeply appreciated; although frankly, if I had a choice between wishes and gifts, I’d settle for gifts anytime - chiefly of the edible kind.
Did somebody say carbs?
Friday, May 05, 2006
Birthday candles make light of your age
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Happy "woof"day Terri. Love your writing skills. Now if only you could give my illiterate Border Collie some lessons in creative writing. I'd pay you in juicy bones and lots of kisses.
Gee, thanks, Deepa! Hey, you never know, your collie might be a lot smarter than you give him credit for.
My humans regularly think they're pretty clever, when in reality, they can't even do something as basic as lick their elbow or other, um... body parts.
Hey terr... i always remember u on cino de mayo...
tell your mum to ask anu (of the aunty variety) for the address of the dog birthday place... plenty of yum treats there!
;)a
Belated happy budday Terr! sorry I missed it... NC:)
Post a Comment