Thursday, June 15, 2006

Generation Gap

Scene I

Grandma: “What would you all like for dinner?”
Grandpa: “Just make something simple.... Say, Bisi Bele Bhath with plantain pachadi. And maybe some cabbage curry with that? Oh, and don’t forget the vathal and appalam on the side. I think that should do…”
Grandma: “All right. What about you, Anu? You like cabbage, right?”
Anu: “Indian food again? Ugh! I want a quesadilla.”
Grandma: “OK, I’ll make whatever you want, my pet. Kuki, sweetie, how about you?”
Kuki: “I want wice with wajma.”
Grandma: “Sure, cutie. Go wash your hands, my darlings, and come sit at the table. Dinner will be ready soon.”


Scene II

Mom: “What should we have for dinner?”
Dad: “Just make something simple."
Mom: "Like what?"
Dad: "It's up to you. We can even order in.”
Mom: “I’m sick of eating out.”
Dad: “OK…Maggi noodles, then?”
Anu: “I want Mac 'n' cheese.”
Kuki: “I want wice with wasam.”
Mom: “Hello? This isn’t a restaurant, children! We’re all going to eat the same thing, understood? Now, go wash up while I heat the leftover dal from last week. We’ll have it with last night’s carrot curry. I'm too tired to cook.”

2 comments:

ara said...

terr, your grandma is a pet -- and your grandad is hilarious!

we think of them often -- love to all...

;)a

Terri the terrific said...

Hey, A,

GP (grandparents) ask about you all the time. Thanks to relocations, our friends circle has shrunk considerably. GP are emotionally blackmailing humans to relocate, as well.