Thursday, July 06, 2006

Little Buddha

Our family’s resident angel, Anu, turned eight on a public holiday.

You’d think a child would be happy to share his birth date with a nation's.

“No fair,” whined Anu, “I can’t have a party because my friends are never in town. This is like the worst day of my life!”

Ungratefulness aside, this youngling is a true gift from the gods above. The humans are still bewildered as to what they did to deserve such a treasure. Anu was born mature, calm, patient, accommodating and easy-going.

Misled by his placid nature and innate composure, the adults willingly ventured into parenthood a second time, naïvely believing brats only happened to other people.

"Well, you started off the same way," observed grandma, massaging hot oil onto mom's parched scalp one Sunday morning. "You were such a pleasure until the day your brother was born. That's when you turned into a rakshasi."

Family lore has it that mom, who ruled the roost for four years until her baby brother stole her thunder, repeatedly pinched the little one while he gurgled in his crib and begged her parents to give him away to a passing beggar woman.

Dad, apparently, has no such skeletons in his closet. "Such a wonderful boy," avows his mother. "A real gem! And I'm not just saying that because he's my son."

Mom has often wondered who her little one most resembled. When Anu was born, both grandmas instantly found quirks and features from their sides of the family. “Great grandfather’s eyes; father’s mouth; grandfather’s color; grandmother’s cousin’s chin; second cousin’s eyebrows .…”

Mom would stare at her bonny baby for hours, trying to find a vague resemblance to her. “Do you think at least his fingernails are like mine?” she’d ask dad, worriedly holding out the baby’s balled-up fist.

Finally, a trip to the neighborhood grocery one fateful day confirmed her nagging apprehension that other than the rolls of fat on Anu’s body, mother and son had little else in common.

“Aww, look at him,” the cashier cooed, as Anu drooled on a teether. “What a sweetheart! Hey, big guy, you sure are cute! I tell you darlin’, he’s gonna be a real heart breaker.”

“Why, thank you,” beamed mom, proudly.

“Look at those pretty eyes! And that killer smile! He sure is a handsome fella,” continued the saleswoman.

As mom collected her purchases with a pearly smile and was about to wish the cashier and everybody else within earshot a wonderful day, such was her happiness, the woman asked, “Does he take after his father?”


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an adorable picture of Anu...

Sandhya

afishcalledgoonda said...

have been following this blog for a while now. but could not resist commenting after seeing that oh-so-cute photo.

Alpha said...

such a cutie..and your writing style is quite a treat.

This Anu is a 'he'? Ok, there is Kuku, you, terri and Anu? Please lay out ur family tree for future references. You don't want me assuming things.

Terri the terrific said...

Sandhya, journeylist, thanks! If only babies didn't grow up so quickly.

Alpha: I adore the way you write. And I love the irreverent way you portray Pi. I hope you don't change and start addressing him as "my darling hubby" or some such.
And yes, to clarify, there's moi, the firstborn; Anu, who's a boy; and Kuki, who's a diva.

Alpha said...

how old are you, if I may pry?

and if I ever call him dear darling hubby and some such, please make sure i am still living with the same pi.

Alpha said...

and oh, thanks.. I'm glad you read.

Terri the terrific said...

"I'm old enough to know better
But I'm still too young to care."

Hint: Real age is somewhere in the archives.

Alpha said...

Terri said...
Gratisgab,

I love the way you publicly embarrass Mr. Gabby. I hope you never change and start referring to him as 'my darling hubby'.

(ARE YOU A SADIST OF SOME SORT? Plz put that in your weird points)

Terri the terrific said...

Dang! I was looking to cut and paste but had to type from memory, instead.

I admit it, I'll even shout from the rooftops - I'm an avowed Alpha-Gratis-Shoefie groupie! You all tell it like it really is and as long as you keep writing, your fan club will keep growing.

Alpha said...

aww...my darling friends, they be. they are cool. thanks sweetie... also we would not like it any other way. And i am a little concerned abt your pleasure on seeing women treat their husbands with irreverance.

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

:) your baby must get cheeks pinched a lot. adorable. alpha, together now AWWWWWWWW.

anantha said...

So the coterie gets one more victim!

*shakes his head at the futility of life and walks away!