Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Change of Heart

As grandma’s return to India fast approaches, mom finds herself in a familiar funk again. The petulant child in her does not want her mother to leave.

Despite grandma’s constant observations on how careless mom is about her things, and how she still hasn’t returned her aunt’s phone call since May, mom wants to cling to her sari, with tears streaming down her face, and beg her to stay. She wants to lie on her lap and feel her chapped, work-worn palms stroke her hair. She wants to go on long walks around the neighborhood with her. She wants to tell her how sorry she is when she snaps at her. She wants to make her tea flavored with cardamom and ginger. She wants to pluck the moon from the sky and bring it to her….

Not for the first time since she moved here, mom wishes she were Mexican. Just so she could visit her entire family by hopping in her car, like her former neighbor regularly did, and drive across the border with her kids and dog during school breaks.

“Can’t you get an expat assignment in India?” she asks dad, as though his company hands them out like mithai during Diwali. “That way, we can get a taste of living there.”

“Well, can’t you?” counters dad. “And what do you mean by getting a taste? You know exactly what it’s like in India.”

True. Mom spent her formative years dodging killer traffic, creepy crawlies and groping men. When the time came to look for a husband, she unashamedly asked for a groom abroad – a non-demanding type who could conform to her late-to-bed-late-to-rise lifestyle and wouldn’t annoy her by playing Suprabhatam by M.S. Subbulakshmi at 7:30 a.m. on a Sunday, as her parents sometimes did.

“Do you like to do breathing exercises in the mornings?” she had asked dad at their first meeting. "Do you find it mentally relaxing if you jump-start your day by waking up at the crack of dawn and bathing in ice cold water?"

“You're kidding, right?" dad had asked quizzically.

It was a match made in heaven.

For the most part, mom adores her lazyass laidback lifestyle here, where she doesn’t have to boil milk on a daily basis or haggle with vegetable vendors over the price of tomatoes. She likes living in a place where she can publicly argue with dad in a language that people around her wouldn't understand.

At other times, however, such as when she hears her daughter gurgling with her grandmother or watches her son locate his grandfather’s misplaced reading glasses so they can solve a Sudoku puzzle together, she longs to return to that familial fold she left behind more than a decade ago.

She yearns for that place she once called “home.”

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am tearing up as I read this :(

I cant even tell you the number of times I have called my mom (upon her return to India) apologising for snapping at her because she re-organized my pantry...

-atgc

Jinguchakka said...

Very moving. And very true.
The lament of the diaspora!

Terri the terrific said...

atgc, you still here? Glad to know.
Do you feel like biting your tongue every time you snap at people you love, but snap away, anyway?
At least you apologize.

jingu, do guys snap at their moms too? Or are you talking about the moving back part?

Anonymous said...

I am a complete mamas-boy and proud of it! I have never snapped at my Mom. However, since I havent spent more than 3 weeks at a time with her a year for the last 13 years I don't think I could have her staying with me for very long at a time.

-Manav

Anonymous said...

:-((

Terri the terrific said...

Manav, are you saying that there's a distinct possibility you might snap at your mom if she stays with you for an extended period of time, now that you're older?

anon, why the long face? You didn't like the post?

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would snap at my Mom... her whole life she has been focused on ensuring I am happy and I think she would be really hurt if I ever snapped at her and I would hate to do that. Do you think that maybe snapping at Moms is something that mostly their daughters do?

-Manav

Anonymous said...

Terri, your mom and I could be sisters!!! She has such a clear and lovely way of expressing my thoughts :-) Well written....

cheers!

rads said...

very nice and very true. :)

Jinguchakka said...

Ofcourse guys snap, too. And when you are far away and think of all those times when you were rude to your parent, it gives a curious pain.
"By the time children realize that their parents had been right, they have children who think their parents are wrong!" - read somewhere.

I am a bachelor and maybe that's why I still shout at, in ISD calls too!

:-(

M (tread softly upon) said...

Nice. Makes me miss home too.

Terri the terrific said...

Manav, no sisters?

SH, rads, m, thanks! (SH, why no updates? Still busy?)

JC, do you think marriage will make you less snappy? ;-)

Anonymous said...

yep terri, I am very much around!

totally OT, but was just wondering how mom's meal planning exercise went..how long did it last? I am expecting my second one in december and once my mom leaves, I may have to resort to meal planning myself (The one time I did it, the husband complained about the smell of garam masala + sambar pudi and tossed and turned around all night) Maybe we should set up a blog and swap menus?

-atgc

noon said...

Very nice post. Well written. I think both daughters and sons snap at moms. I have two brothers - one does, the other is always patient. But mom loves them both the same. And daughters - no doubt - all of us snap at her. Sad but true. Happens to everyone I think. My cousin cried so much the day her mom left for India after taking care of her newborn twins for 4 months. When I asked her if she was missing her mom, she said "I snapped at her for every little thing, I was so tired". Guilt was gripping her tight...wonder if we will be as tolerant with our children later.

Jinguchakka said...

I think so. For several reasons, but marriage does mellow a man.

Terri the terrific said...

atgc, the meal planning has been reimplemented as of this week. It worked so well the first time that the menu for the next two months has been planned and posted on the fridge.
You want? Let me know, and I'll send it.
Best of luck with labor and delivery. Given a chance, mom would get pregnant again: that was the only period of her life she didn't have to suck her stomach in.

noon, thanks for all your comments. Here's hoping you reclaim your bed soon. (And if you do it before your child gets to college, please let us know how.)

jc: I'll check back on your mellowness one mother-in-law, a mortgage and two brats later.

Jinguchakka said...

lol
:-))

Anonymous said...

Know exactly how you feel-both about your mom and that feeling of wanting to be in India and away from it at the same time.
My mum is going to be with me soon instructing me on everything from how to eat, what bulbs to use in the house etc etc I'll have to start yoga again.

Anonymous said...

very beautifully captured and very funny :) I totally know what you feel, since being there and now living in India - loving the haggling, the incessant traffic jams, the "adjust - maadis" etc etc -- its all in the attitude right :)

--Vaishnavi

Terri the terrific said...

Hello, Vaishnavi,

I remember you! I'm glad you still have your dog, although I never met him.
It's nice to know you're loving it and livin' it up in B'lore (of course I'm dying of jealousy as I say this).
Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
wow, sorry didnt do the connection -- am dense that way :)
Yeah, we stil have him, although the guy doesnt like the fact that his yard space has reduced to like 1/10th what he had there :)

I love your writing, lot of underlying humor in it and very creative.. have you tried posting in Shakespeare and Company? Very neat site and lots of very talented writers -- although I am no writer, i enjoy reading new stuff always...

--Vaishnavi

Terri the terrific said...

Thanks a lot, Vaishnavi. And yes, you guessed right (although I removed the reference in your comment).

Anonymous said...

Terri, mom has'nt really lived in India in a long time, I guess. Trust me, you could'nt get more lazy, err..laid back anywhere else in the world, what with anything from rock salt to Rajasthani sherwanis being home-delivered by competitive shopkeepers, rickshaw wallas to take and pickup junior from school and maids to to all the dirty work (including cooking !!), so you have ALL the time in the world to blog and read blogs! Having returned home from the land of 2%milk, I strongly recommend the same to all ye home-sick NRIs !

That aside, please tell mom that I really enjoy her blogs.