Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Fabric of Our Lives

Was your Diwali a happy one? I only ask because mine could’ve been happier.

While mom and the children caught up with friends at a potluck, I spent Saturday night alone, watching an indisposed dad yawning and picking his nose while watching ESPN.

Mom’s idea of celebrating Diwali, or any other festival for that matter, is to have somebody else do all the prep. work. As there were no grandmas around this time of year, she took it easy and just turned on all the interior and exterior house lights and wished everybody a happy Diwali.

“But who is Diwali?” asked a bewildered Kuki, who associates “happy” only with birthdays. “Is it a boy or a girl? And why is there no cake?”

Leaping on the chance to impart some culture, mom solemnly sat the children down to narrate an abridged version of the Ramayana. But before she got to the part about Kaikeyi throwing a fit, the kids wandered off and had to be threatened with cabbage kootu for dinner, instead of pizza, if they did not stand still and look pious while she lit the lamp.

Growing up, the only festival mom would look forward to with glee was Saraswati puja. It was a special day of the year because it was the only day her mother would not hound her to bury her nose in her books every waking moment of the day. At all other times, grandma would yell, “Padi; Padi; Study; Study!” from the kitchen, as mom sat with an open book and doodled her and her latest crush’s name on a page, crossing common letters off while softly chanting, “Love; Like; Hate; Adore ....”

The main reason Diwali appealed to her was neither the sweets nor the fireworks nor time off from school, but rather, new clothes.

New clothes were practically events during mom’s formative years – they were considered treats that were doled out only on special occasions. Bought or stitched weeks in advance, their labels permanently stained with dots of haldi-kumkum, new clothes required divine benediction before and immediately after donning.

Old clothes, on the other hand, were never discarded. They were worn until they faded, were outgrown or ripped beyond repair. The outfits were then passed on to younger, shorter, thinner cousins or recycled as pillowcases. As a second to last resort, they were offered to the servant. And if the servant rejected them, as she often did, she was dubbed as arrogant and the clothes, as a final resort, were turned into rags to dust the furniture or swab the floor.

These days, new clothes barely register a blip on my human's excitement radar screen. Outfits have become as ordinary as ice cream in the freezer, as disposable as Styrofoam plates tossed away at parties. Unused and gently used clothes are stored for a few years out of compunction, before they too are discarded.

Mom's wedding trousseau, however, remains intact.

Like Diwali and other festivities, the saris are briefly aired once a year and then stored away, to be dragged out of hidden recesses only on special occasions - like velvety, wispy memories.

7 comments:

rads said...

:)
the title reminded me of the cotton ad.

So far removed from our country, festivities are something that we need to churn up with a conscious sometimes tremendous effort. At the end of it, I think that's something I like to impart to the younger ones. Of course the nose, and the temper is a given. :)

Anonymous said...

hey,
Sounds exactly like the house that I grew up in :) I hated the haldi-kumkum part of it as it invariably would catch on to the dress !!!, to date, havent understood the significance ...

--vaishnavi

M (tread softly upon) said...

:) "the saris are briefly aired once a year and then stored away, to be dragged out of hidden recesses only on special occasions - like velvety, wispy memories." loved this line absolutely and can relate to it totally.

Terri the terrific said...

m, thanks. I remember you wrote something similar that I liked. So, I went back to it and made sure I hadn't lifted anything in a sub-conscious Kaavya Vishwanathan moment.

V, it's like one of those "women are unclean" traditions. Have not understood the significance of that, either. And cannot understand why a lot of women, who claim to be progressive, follow it so rigidly.

rads, I agree it takes a tremendous effort to impart culture. Which is why mom drags herself (the kids go willingly) to Balvihar every weekend.

Anonymous said...

hilarious...i was just talking to bineet the other day - there was a charm that diwali had when we were growing up - we'd so look foward to those new clothes...and that was the only time in the whole yr that we woudl be bought new stuff...it was just so excititng...i really dont know what gets today's kids excited - they have it all - they've seen it all....
must admit - i burst into laughter while reading it - im sure every one who grew up in india those days will have a hearty laugh...
keep it going....

Anonymous said...

Terri, all through my tough escapades with life and relatives:) I've entertained myself through this blog...It's kinda therapeutic to know that someone can laugh at themselves and not others..:)
Thanks..I hope someday I can help someone when life's not so kind...
Nisha.

Terri the terrific said...

Why, thank you, Nisha! That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me since I started blogging.