You usually know what a gathering is going to be like when you view the guest list.
For instance, if A is invited, you know the party will involve dancing. With B around, who knows, even the rasam might be spiked. C will regale the crowd with his antics. D’s eyes will dart around the house, summing up your latest purchases. E will start yawning even before dinner is served. F will never compliment the hostess on the food. G will sail in late, air-kiss her friend du jour and leave early. H will not make eye contact with you or admit he reads your blog. I and J will flaunt their wardrobes, while K will make furtive glances at your chest as he talks to you.
So, when mom received an invite for an adult birthday party recently that included all the above guests and then some, she immediately accepted, knowing that the evening would invariably invoke an ode to Bacchus - and there’s nothing more entertaining for a non-drinker (at least for the first five minutes) than to watch normally sensible people get plastered and completely shed their inhibitions.
“Please be there by 7 p.m.,” the hostess had requested. In keeping with their desi roots and sense of timing, some guests were still streaming in at 9 p.m.
The patio party was just warming up as mom arrived, a mere hour late. It was a beautiful, starry night, the kind of night that makes you forget the summer heat and the scorpions, and be grateful that you don't live in some frigid city on the east coast, where the guests would be huddled inside with the heat on, while 25 raucous kids would be thundering upstairs, causing the chandeliers downstairs to rattle.
This time, while the kids stayed inside and undid all the cleaning done just before the party started, the adults gathered outside, sipping on sangria and catching up with certain people they hadn’t bothered to keep in touch with the last eight months or more.
The party began in earnest once the sets of visiting parents from India had eaten and left. Bellies were sated with Jamaican rice and spicy chicken and bladders threatened to explode with the booze. Bottles of hard liquor were poured down parched throats, Kajra re almost shattered eardrums and body parts jiggled in time to the music.
Maybe a hectic week of organizing and attending Navrathri functions finally took its toll on the women. Maybe it was the fact that 40th birthday bashes roll around only once. It could’ve even been the trifle pudding ... whatever the catalyst was, some of the invitees proceeded to let their hair and guards down, much to the amusement of the sober spectators watching from the sidelines.
The host was thrown into the pool, and in a show of spirited camaraderie, his male friends joined him. An attempt was made to throw the hostess into the pool, but her thoughtful girlfriends, conjuring up visions of a soaked Mandakini in Ram Teri Ganga Maili or a wet Raveena in Tip Tip Barsa Paani, intervened on her behalf.
The party progressed through the night and the alcohol consumption showed no signs of slackening. Birthday cake was smashed in people’s faces, leading certain impressionable minds to ask mom difficult questions, such as, “Why is that aunty covered in frosting? And why is that uncle licking her face?”
Ah, well ... 10 years from now, at the host's 50th bash, mom knows the tables will be turned and she'll probably be looking to her kids for enlightenment.
Until then, cheers everybody!
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Guys and Gals Gone Wild
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
you write well :)
parties are always festering with specimens of sort, and now that you've outlined the characters, I suppose I could slot each of my friends into an A or a B and so on..
I recently went to a 50th birthday bash where the surprise gift was a bellydancer. Now that should be some post.
Wow, I really missed this one ha:)
-Vijaya
That was soooo fun to read.
Party time huh? Hmmm... I dont ever seem to party! Hmmmpf! And I havent started to hit the clubs yet!
Can I demand that the RSS feed be enabled again?
Lets talk in depth abt all those people in at Efees!!
:)
Gau
rads, was the belly dancer a surprise gift or a surprise guest?!! If the former, then wow, that's some open-minded spouse! If the latter, then how did the visiting parents from India react? This clearly qualifies as a post.
Vijaya, the earlier parties were very tame compared with this one.
deepa, thanks!
anantha, you should start hanging out with married couples with two kids. Some of their parties are out of control.
I'll enable RSS feed if you tell me what it is in simple terms and what it can do for me.
Gau, let's talk about the girls who will not be able to make it. That's more fun!
patio? warm night?? pool??? sigh! I am in the midwest and with temps dropping to the 40s, I can only dream of such parties.
But, D,E,F,G,H must hop on the plane and come to every party here, cause they are there at every party I go to :)
Hey, I heard of one 40th b'day party where the cake was in the shape of a girl and wifey asked hubby to pick a piece from the part he liked! very disturbing!
cheers!
SH: What is the world coming to? First a bellydancer as a gift and now this!! On behalf of my long-suffering dad, where does one find such an indulgent and tolerant wife?
Licking uncle and chest gazing K - ......you make your posts leave more to the imagination. lol.
Looks like maybe I need to start hanging out with (hitting on) married women. (Terri: I promise to buy a suggestive cake if your mom were to invite me to the next 'wild' party).
-Manav
is this for real LOL? I assume dad is back and you guys are somewhere warm. I mean patio parties are unheard of where i am in Fall. It is way too cold here.
ha, very nice one..i especially like the categories of people, we all have the As, Bs etc..
sounds a lot like some of the parties that I attend although being the one being crashed all the time, i wouldnt like to hear the sober mind's point of view :)))
--Vaishnavi
jingu, the party, however, left little to the imagination ;)
Manav, mom doesn't throw wild parties; she only attends them. Like I mentioned to anantha, maybe you should also start hanging out with married couples of a certain age.
m, it's all true! Don't you have A through K at your get-togethers? Maybe I should post about L through Z and then you'll believe me.
V, looks like the categories and activities transcend borders and boundaries.
heard a lot about this wild one....sure did miss it...we miss az a lot...i miss the gals nite outs...those were a different ballgame altogether...can i dial into the next one??? hehehhe
ah terr, i heard the party was wild... but mom's narrations are always more interesting than reality :)
Post a Comment