Every time Anu hums “Sexy lady on the floor ...” I cringe.
Be it in the car, in the shower, on the way to tennis, at the table or while playing with his sister, Anu unconsciously belts out the first two lines of the song at the top of his voice.
Should I take the easy way out and let him be? Or should I sit him down and explain why the word ‘sexy’ is entirely inappropriate for an 8-year-old to utter? (Whereupon he will ask me when exactly he can start using the word.)
How on earth does one explain ‘sexy’ to a child, anyhow?
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Driving Me Crazy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
No earthly way exists. Like the time my idly loving kid cousin exclaimed at the end of a Sunday afternoon Sun TV movie with his mouth full of molagapodi laced idly, seeing Sivaji and Savitri sit down in full dress on their marital bed and seeing the door close on them with a "Subham". The kid goes - how come they don't take the camera inside the room with them to show what happens? All these black and white movies are like this only". Lots of half chewed cud like idly was spit from other mouths. Please note that it was the days before late night soft porn and the kid was Anu's age only. Reminds me, I have to ask him about this incident, now that he is 21 and legal! Looks like he'd be able to tell me a lot, looking at the Afridi like hair cut he sports these days! Very hip and fashionable!
Btw, don't you think that song is creepy? My mental voice goes "Creepy kiya re" all the time, seeing her gyrate.
Hi Terri!
I promise I thought that that you could be found at terrisampat. Today I clicked on the link only to find that it goes to some other site. For the life of me, I cant imagine why I got your address wrong. Either my slave is going senile or your mom has rented out your place for a lot of misdeeds! Now that I have your proper address I'll remember.
PS: For the life of me
Doesn't that sound grand? I don't know what that really means - it kinda sounded right - so I put that in. Can Mom clarify what it means? 'cos she's a writer?
I had a crib about your blog, and typed out a rather long comment one day, but on second thought (my slave's), it wasn't posted. Maybe some other day.
:P
-PP
okies...i guess i need to get glasses....first> when i said murugan idli kadai...i forgot 2 look at ur location (duh!)...i was talking abt shop in chennai...second>thanks for the new link...was traumatised to find free porn dvds on ur old link....thrid> anu is a guy?....fourth> sexy lady on d floor i thought was sean paul...well now i no....
plz dont hate me...im comfused as always remember? ;)
n abt sexy? u let him be...lolz
@1$ saint - What about the original Murugan Idli Kadai in Madurai? - my slave swears by it.
How on earth does one explain ‘sexy’ to a child, anyhow?
You don't. Just wait till he's a year older and he'll 'know it all' and would alternatively cringe, say "eww", or just walk away discreetly.
btw, just had to click on ur link, and am here.. will correct my blogroll [useless piece of program that it is anyway!!?!]
And coming back to the actual question in your post. I dont think it is inappropriate for a 8 year old or for that matter even a 5 year old to use any word in his/her vocabulary, as long as it is 'accepted' and used by the adults (in the family/environment/community to which (s)he is exposed). Now, if the adult feels that a certain word is unacceptable for use by a certain-year old, that means the adult too should not use that word in his/her conversation.
Explaining the meaning of words is probably a more difficult task. One would have to make do with the nearest match that the child would be able to understand.
anantha, how's the India trip? Are you going to be returning solo or hitched?
PP, thanks for letting me know about the squatters at my old URL. I know my reputation precedes me, but ma kasam, I had absolutely nothing to do with it.
1$ saint, yes, Anu is a boy, even though we wanted a girl the first time around.
rads, I'll take your word for it, since I know you're speaking from experience.
terri:
if, at 8, you cannot pronounce the said word, when will you?
my raja was a father at 8!
- s.b.
sigh. did you read by blog where sanj came home singing "hey babe drop it down, just wanna see you touch the ground?"
now it is "beedi jalaile, .... jigar ma badi AAAAAAAAAG hai" with a jhatka and all.
i die, each time that happens!
Post a Comment