Still on the fascinating subject of refrigerators, did anybody read the AP story about the hunter’s wife who opened her refrigerator to find the duck her husband shot two days ago lift up its head and look at her?
I know stranger things have happened, such as mom leaving IKEA empty-handed after spending three hours at the store, but the news report begs the following questions:
- Is this guy still married?
- Do hunters stuff game into the refrigerator without cleaning the animals first?
- Does this guy's family have to reach over carcasses to get to the tub of cream cheese in the back?
- Since said duck was alive, was he/she pooping in the fridge?
It’s stories like these that spook mom into staying vegetarian.
And here she thought our refrigerator needed cleaning because of some sambar spatters and the smell of a naked onion.

15 comments:
terri:
if dad brought home a dying/dead/decaying duck, you'd have cleaned him (the duck, not dad) up, wouldn't ya? so, instead of typin' this post, you oughta be salivatin', prayin' 'n' hopin'! ;-)
btw, being a vegetarian, i appreciate mom's pov - thank you very much.
- s.b.
Oooooh, this post reminds me why I don't like eating non-veg food that I haven't cooked myself...
Found you via technorati and am glad I did!
Hmmm... the whole story is funny. I can't comment, however, about any of your questions. Oh ok, wait. I think I can answer one question, the last one.
I read the article and found a mention of the duck's low metabolism, which leads me to believe that the pooping tendencies are that much lower.
As for mom leaving IKEA empty handed, now that is strange! Even I haven't achieved that yet!
Thank you, all. The way I see it, I'm paying for sins committed in a previous birth, which is why I landed in a thayir sadam centric household.
In my next birth, I would like to be a part of a family a tad more appreciative of nature's bounties - like this hunter dude.
Terri, au contraire, au contraire! Thayir sadam is the food of the gods, be it Greek or Roman or even Indian!
In fact the Greek tomes hint that Odysseus reputedly carried a bottle of his wife Penelope's curd culture that he used from time to time to make fresh thayir! And upon his return home, none recognized him, except for one of your predecessors. He recognized his master, only from the familiar sweet aroma lingering on Odysseus's hand after the previous night's dinner of thayir sadam and maanga thokku.
So you actually are blessed to be in a thayir sadam centric household!
Terri-come and live with me. I eat a lot of duck. In fact I just had some for dinner.
Btw, your duck is back in the news...
CPR on a duck? Hmmm...Pavam doctor! More so if he is single and sans girl friends.
I can't beleieve you actually came out of IKEA empty handed! I am so hooked to that store, that at the least, I do major porukufying in the marketplace. Thank heavens its a 45 minute drive away...
Do you keep onions inside a fridge? Hmm...I keep it outside lest everything else smells of it.
anantha, you've written with such passion, I almost want to believe you. And that duck looks too cute to eat.
mg, what about thayir sadam? Is that a staple in your home?
rads, do cinnamon rolls count? Half of them were consumed in the store itself.
jc, only naked onions, stripped and violated, are kept in the fridge.
Terri: It was the thayir saadham talking!
"jc, only naked onions, stripped and violated, are kept in the fridge."
ok terri, i have tried several methods, but the onions i stowed away exuded a stinking (pun intended) reeking odour that overwhelmed everything else in the fridge.
so much so that i had to throw out the baking soda and install a fresh can. how does mom do it? would you mind sharing the secret? please use propah english language, not the kamasutric tantric sanskrit that you use in the above quote!
- s.b.
s.b., wrap the onion in plastic. That usually works for us. The Queen of Clean recommends placing a cup of charcoal in the fridge to eliminate odors.
As a last resort, a half-alive duck might work too.
Seriously though, Saran Wrap is a cheaper and cleaner alternative.
terri and mom:
thanks for the info. i will try it out next time.
half-alive duck? only if it is shit scared to shit (pardon my french, as it is necessary for the desired effect!).
- s.b.
Terri - Could you drop me a mail to boobabytalk at gmail dot com? Thanks.
Post a Comment