The guys in the mailroom were busy today. Between cigarette breaks and delivering inter-office mail, they had to bear bouquets of red roses to squealing women who clutched their hearts and acted as though the very thought, the flowers, the teddy bear and the accompanying balloon were a complete surprise.
Mom watched the messengers pass by her office so often that she started ignoring them by midday and turned her attention to more important matters, such as trying to pass gas discreetly after a heavy lunch of pulao and pindi channa.
Toward the afternoon, as the glare outside intensified, and the yoghurt from lunch dulled her senses, a box from FTD.com arrived with her name on it.
Chastened, mom chided herself for having badmouthed dad to the entire world and vowed to stop at the chocolaterie on the way back home to buy him some dark chocolate.
She opened the box and took out a brightly colored bunch of tulips. "Hmm, not very romantic, but brownie points for trying," thought mom, as she eyed the bright yellows and oranges. Holding the flowers to her nose, she wondered if she had to eat humble pie now that she had finally received a bouquet.
Mom plucked the note attached to the tulips.
“Welcome to the team!” it said. “We’re so glad you’re here. Happy Valentine’s Day!”
------------------------------------------
Breaking News:
At around 8 p.m. dad looked around his cubicle and realized he was the only guy with a significant other still at work. He hurriedly stopped by the mall and came home with a box of Cinnabons.
"This is for you," he said, shyly thrusting the box at mom.
"But ... but ... I have a buy-one-get-one-free coupon for this ... You should've told me ..." spluttered mom, killing even the slightest soupçon of romance in one fell swoop.
And you wonder how this woman has the gall to complain.
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Update: For all the Naysayers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
terri:
"Holding the flowers to her nose, she wondered if she had to eat humble pie now that she had finally received a bouquet."
i am sure mom would take overpriced/non-discounted cinnabons over humble pie any day, and especially valentine's day! maybe dad agrees with me too.
- s.b.
s.b., even mom agrees with you. She prefers receiving edibles, especially sugar-coated ones, to flowers that have a short lifespan. The edibles, on the other hand, will continue to live in her hips and thighs, where they will eventually multiply.
See.. see thats why I side with your dad... the same stuff happens with me.. once in a bluemoon, I decide to buy a gift.... and I am asked about the price just so that she can compare it with some sale or the other... jeez :-)
vijay, it's in the genes. Mom got it from grandma, but I hope the trail stops with her.
On the other hand, maybe if you gifted more frequently your wife might react differently.
And I thought that Venutians never thought about price when romance was involved! LOL
I had a look at Cinnabons - my God! I'm sure that Cinnabons are forever.
the visitor says: "I had a look at Cinnabons - my God! I'm sure that Cinnabons are forever."
with all due respect, i disagree. cinnabons are ephemeral/fleeting/temporary; on the other hand, like terri says, the associated weight gain is forever/permanent/everlasting.
- s.b.
Just wanted to know, Did Terri's mom buy the dark choclates for dad?
'Cinnabons' translates to Eternal Love, it always stays with you (until you hit the gym). Dad is clever, give him due credit for a thoughtful gift.
visitor, the phrase "penny wise pound foolish" was coined for certain Venusians.
And Cinnabons are literally to die for! They're warm, sticky, crispy in certain spots, sickly sweet and oozing with butter. I wonder if they might open a franchise in India.
s.b., sinabons are forever in memory.
kausum, mom came home empty-handed because the flowers were from her boss. Now, she could've bought dad dark chocolates the next day, but he would've known that it was an afterthought. She might make him rajma-chawal instead today, although he'll never guess the connection.
your mom is such a goose, terr.
:) miss those cinnabons. darn
Let me know if they open a franchise in india... PLEEAAASSEE
Post a Comment