My dear readers,
No, no, don’t clutch your hearts in despair; this is not a ‘Dear John / Jane’ letter. I’m not writing to inform you that after careful consideration and considerable introspection, I’m breaking up with you because blogging requires too much time and energy – two precious commodities that I would do best to conserve for my family.
I’m not even writing to let you know that my inbox is empty, and really, the only reason I awake each morning is to check my e-mail.
Some of you have complained that this page doesn’t update as frequently as your preferred news channel. Believe me it would, if not for that pesky thing called life that gets in the way each morning to distract me with daily duties and task lists.
What duties can a dog have, some of you wonder. Well, besides defending my turf against the occasional fly, I am also my mom’s official foot warmer, vacuum cleaner, mind reader, walk motivator, chief cuddler, under-the-bed monster chaser and kid distracter. And if that’s not enough, I do my part in keeping the environment clean by consuming any kind of paper or plastic debris strewn on the roadside, in addition to the rare dead bird or discarded aluminum foil.
You see, I’m at my creative best when I’m voiding the previous day’s excess on a grassy patch, but unfortunately, there’s usually no keyboard within typing distance.
By now you must be wondering if this post has a point. I’m wondering the same thing. See what I meant about distractions?
Ah, yes, this post was to set the record straight on my gender. It appears that there’s some confusion on whether I’m male or female. Of course, I’m highly insulted that you can’t tell by my face, but then I realize you’re only human. Certainly, my own humans had no idea that I would enjoy five minutes of fame when they christened me.
Mom: “What should we call him?”
Dad: “It’s up to you. Is dinner ready?”
Mom: “Let’s call him ‘Brownie.’”
Dad: “He also has patches of black, white and grey on him.”
Mom: “OK, ‘Patches,’ then.”
Dad pursed his lips.
Mom: “I don’t want to call him ‘Jimmy’ or ‘Tommy’ or some generic dog name. And we can’t call him ‘Peanut’ because Peanut next door will be confused.”
Dad: “How about Jeeves?”
Mom: “He’s not a butler!”
Dad: “Frederick Algernon Trotteville?”
Mom: “Fat chance! Since he’s a terrier mix, I say let’s call him ‘Terri’ for short.”
Dad (rapidly losing patience): “Fine. Can we have dinner now?”
As you can tell, important decisions in this household are reached in less time than it takes to pick one's nose, but other matters, such as switching toilet paper brands, are deliberately planned and meticulously executed.
Well, it's official now. I was born male, and exhibit definite masculine tendencies, such as a short attention span and a preoccupation with my privates, but I somehow possess an amazing insight into the female psyche.
I say I'm naturally gifted, but mom thinks it's because I'm fixed - a procedure she would like to recommend to about three-quarters of the male populace.
Anybody dare to care to disagree with her?
-- Casanova Canine
Sunday, March 25, 2007
A Rose By Any Other Name
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
three-quarters of the HUMAN male populace?
Aye!
And I totally agree that you are nt posting enough.
"I’m at my creative best when I’m voiding the previous day’s excess on a grassy patch, but unfortunately, there’s usually no keyboard within typing distance" - y not buy a wireless keyboard?
boo, human males only. Haven't met too many doggie dick heads so far.
i7, I know you're trying to help, but I feel typing while pooping would destroy the sanctity of one or both of the acts mentioned.
Terri: Just like most Mallu kids are scarred for life with names like Lijo or Joji, your mom and dad scarred you for life with your name too. For starters, if I had known, I'd have told your mom and dad to name you "TerrY (with a "Y") after Shane Warne's coach Terry Jenner or the Australian seamer who once took 41 wickets in a losing Ashes cause and later 42 wickets in a winning Ashes cause, i.e., Terry Alderman or the former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback and Fox NFL analyst- Terry Bradshaw. Instead they named you after Steve Irwin's wife, Terri! Paavam, you!
Phew for a sec I missed the "not" in this line:
I’m not writing to inform you that after careful consideration and considerable introspection, I’m breaking up with you
And I was thinking - what! so casually telling us you are going to stop posting!
Mom gave you a good name didn't she?! You like the name?
Noon
Whew ! That is a big load off my head. I can now use the correct pronoun instead of the irritating he/she thing.
Anantha, you have the gall to mention cricket at the time of collective Indian shame? Boo ! ;)
anantha, "Terri" is one of those names that can swing both ways, like Suman and Madhu, even Lakshmi. At the time, mom had no idea of the implications. She later used my name as a learning curve when it came time to christen her bundles of joy.
noon, I prefer the colorful names I reserve for my humans when they act like morons. But I cannot tell (canine code of quiescence).
lakshmi, glad to clear things up.
Totally agree with the "I’m at my creative best when I’m voiding the previous day’s excess on a grassy patch" - When you crap, the crap is all gone away and what stays is the beautiful thoughts :)
By now you must be wondering if this post has a point.
Most creative things don't need to make a point - they are a joy by themselves. That was the most creative and meandering post I've read. :D
Now about my own christening - Mom and Dad decided that it shouldn't be the usual dogy names like Rosie etc.
They finally decided to call me Pappa (you'd have seen villains/road-side romeos in tamil cinema leer at the heroine and say "Pappa enge poganum?"). Must've fulfilled Dad's desire to make catcalls in Mom's presence, without getting into her bad books. I never knew that Pappa, could also create confusion as to my gender. All was fine, until one day (when I was in my final stages of pregnancy) a north indian guy on knowing my name guffawed - "Pappa is a Mamma". Imagine my embarassment - from that day I called my-self - PP
-PP
terri:
"At the time, mom had no idea of the implications. She later used my name as a learning curve when it came time to christen her bundles of joy."
i wish to bring the attention of your readers to the third comment here. i rest my case.
- s.b.
Pilgrim, somehow when you put it that way .... eeewwwww!
PP, there's a Rotweiler called "Baby" on our street, who's older than me. If I were her, I wouldn't go out in public with a name like that.
s.b., Anu's complete official name cannot be mistaken for a woman's name in India. And the people here don't know any better. I still think the name "Anu" is a lot better than say, "Rabri Devi."
P.S. Are you a lawyer or maybe a hound dog in disguise?
Terri,
Could you just bark at Anantha, just one bark - but make it a lil loud n ferocious, please. will ya?
The mallu in me can't take the "just like most mallu kids" part w/ a pinch of kosher salt.
Terri, feel like hugging you.
hey, my 1st pet was called - brownie, and I happen to like Frederick Alergon Trotterville very much - he was my childhood sweetheart!
I think Terri sounds girly..
:))
terri:
"P.S. Are you a lawyer or maybe a hound dog in disguise?"
don't you worry - (with due respect to lawyers and hound dogs) i chase people neither in an ambulance or outside of one.
rads:
me too. my all time favourite in narratives is (rex stout as) archie goodwin. ever read nero wolfe whodunits?
- s.b.
upsi, for all you know Anantha might be Palaghat Iyer - which mkaes him half-Mallu - therbey granting him license to let loose on Kuttys.
MG, how come? No, I'm not complaining, I know I'm a dish. But I thought you had a personal foot-massager and cuddler.
rads, not Fatty! What about Julian or Dick? I myself fancied Ned Nickerson because he seemed so grown up.
s.b., I meant lawyers and hounds have a knack of digging up evidence. And you like Fatty also? Or did you mean George?
terri:
i'm not a lawyer or a hound whichever way/attribute you use to define 'em. i just was sniffing ... whoops, i meant to say searching ... for a different item and came across what i linked to.
yes of course i like fatty too. and george aka georgina too (though not as much), and definitely not the george of the 'george and bess' pair, she was just a bit part role player.
- s.b.
Terri: I have a great uncle who everyone calls "Baby Periappa"!
And yes, yes, I am half Mallu only! Actually could have been full mallu may be, cos both my parents were born in Palakkad, but mom moved to Chennai when she was 3, I think. And since then, her only attempt at being Mallu was when she sang the Prem Nazir number "Devi Sri Devi" in a Navarathiri Kolu do thinking it was totally devotional (to her defense, it has words like "Ambalam"). Anyways, I digress. About "Terri" being a name that swings both ways, if it means that you can sleep better, I am cool with that.
Upsilamba: But it is true, no? That Lijjo = Lillykutty + Joseph? That's what I meant.
Lakshmi: I know you meant it as a joke, but "Indian cricket through thick and thin" - that's my motto.
I think he'd like to hug you too!He's a desi mad about dogs too.
Post a Comment