Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Coming Clean

Do you remember when the “8 Things I’m Proud of” tag did the rounds? Don’t worry, I don’t either.

I read so many tag posts last month that the details are fuzzy and the categories a blur. This is what happens, I suppose, during the wedding season in India when you attend muhurtams upon receptions until you start pairing the wrong couples together.

I don’t know about you, but I think it’s far more interesting to read about “8 Things I’m NOT Proud of.” It’s all well and good to hear about how you studied under a lamp post and came up the hard way to make your family proud, but what about pandering to your readers' baser instincts?

I can think of a few things I’m not proud of, but unfortunately cannot reveal. I have a public image to maintain, you see. I have no qualms, however, about besmirching my mom’s reputation. She has a track record of at least 800 things she's not proud of.


  • Mom cheats on diets. Wave a baked product in front of her face and she will succumb to temptation in less than a minute. (And this same woman tried to teach me to balance a biscuit on my nose.)

  • She's addicted to certain blogs, but never leaves a comment because she’s overwhelmed by the author’s prose.

  • Mom has been known to steal food from her kids. She will swallow the last Oreo cookie in the pantry and tell her kids there’s no more without batting an eyelid.

  • She could be standing right next to the telephone when it rings, but if she’s not in a mood to talk, she’ll let the answering machine pick up. Needless to say, guilt will force her to call the person back in the next 7.5 minutes.

  • Despite what she tells her mother, she doesn’t make a sweet dish for every major festival.

  • She’ll go out of her way to be nice to random strangers, but takes the people she truly cares about for granted.

  • There were moments, specifically in the middle of the night or pre-dawn, when she felt like throwing her crying babies out of the window.

  • I'm sure you never do this, but she makes unauthorized use of the company's electronic system when she’s supposed to be working.

Pssst, any skeletons in your closet that you'd care to share?

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO much more fun than the goody goody post! :)
and same pinch on 1, 2, 4 and 8!

Jinguchakka said...

"Pssst, any skeletons in your closet that you'd care to share?"

- Is that a tag slithering towards us?

:-)

Terri the terrific said...

broom, goody goody was good too - a change from your usual naughty self ;)

jc, my god, this is like the second coming of Christ! It's been so long that I'm sure you're married with two kids by now.

Anonymous said...

is that all the mom's confessing to at this time? one hopes for a version 2 in near future.

my skeletons are so deeply hidden, I'm starting to question if they ever existed in the first place.

A Muser said...

Your mom has 8 things she's not proud of? I'm hard put to come up with 3 -- the burden of being perfect I suppose! Hehehehe. If that is a tag, Terri, I'll be happy to expose my 3 weaknesses.

The Visitor said...

(And this same woman tried to teach me to balance a biscuit on my nose.)
That's cruel! - Did you complain to the SPCA, Terri?
2. Mom has commented on my blog -that's really sweet of her. :) - hey but doesn't that mean that my prose is awful or she isn't addicted to my blog? :(
3. Technically she's right - how can there be any cookie left, when she's eaten the last one?
4. I thought that mom handles her guilt very well (refer to post on senior Sampats)
6. Ditto here :(
8. Who doesn't?

That was the best ever 'feel good' tag that I've read. I'm feeling pretty good about myself. :D
Thanks for the revelations, Terri.
-PP :P

Terri the terrific said...

anon, no other skeletons in this closet is worth sharing.

muser, come, come, surely you jest. If you're having trouble, just ask the people around you. They might fill your ears.

visitor, I have to be nice to you otherwise you might say something about me in your Tamil blog that I won't understand :)

As for the others, either they're simply shocked by the revelations or overwhelmed by my prose.

Anonymous said...

Have to do this one too, been sitting on it.

Vishesh said...

found you through visitor :) hi!


lol :) :) :)

Terri the terrific said...

vishesh, hello. Now, what's a young boy like you doing here? You might want to clear it with your parents first.

The Visitor said...

Terri - s.b. did 'drop in' at my place, but from a totally unexpected source.

And regarding vishesh visiting your blog, I dont think he needs to have PG. According to Mingle your blog is rated G - for General Audiences. The only objectionable word it found was steal?!

Jinguchakka said...

:-) No, I am not married. As of now, I am committed towards bachelorhood. So many other things were happening in my life that I abandoned my blog for some time. Trying to get a handle on things and back to blogging.

Terri the terrific said...

visitor, darn! Got to kick up the raunch factor a notch.

jc, settle down and let us know when you're back in action. Which part of the world are you in now?

Sujatha Bagal said...

Ditto to 3 and 6. :)

Anonymous said...

I live in fear of being tagged now so I'll cop to charges # 1,2,4 and 6. Although I won't call back in 7.5 minutes. More like 7.5 years :D

Which is why I have no friends left :( Isniff.

anantha said...

G?? This blog is rated G? I thought this blog did not meet Grandmom's approval (in its previous avatar at least) due to its "salacious" content! :D

anantha said...

Btw Terri, you do realize that you put mom in a tough spot with that disclosure about being overwhelmed by some blogger's prose, no?

Alpha said...

terri! You won't believe it. I thought (was convinced) you wree a 25 year old male living with your mom and younger siblings...Even for once I didn't think you were writing from your dog's perspective. I am still reeling from the shock thanks to Shufy or I could have been blissfully ignorant thinking you were some kind of a confused soul.

I think you write extremely well and boy you ae funny (given my new discovery). A 25 year old calling his mom sex starved seemed scandalous even to me.

I am not that dumb normally.

Anonymous said...

Terri,

Looks like mom is not satisfied with you being just a dog. She wants you to be a otter or a dolphin too. So how is the balancing the biscuit coming along :)

" There were moments, specifically in the middle of the night or pre-dawn, when she felt like throwing her crying babies out of the window." ....I watched one of the episodes of Mahabharata yesterday night (Ganga + Shantanu) and I now know, most women share homicidal tendencies :)

Terri the terrific said...

Sujatha, you too? Tcha, I really didn’t expect it from you.

Amrita, what? You haven’t been tagged yet? I hereby tag you and expect you to honor the tag in less than 7.5 years.

Anantha, I’m as surprised as you are by the rating. But grandma is still miffed. I wonder why.

Alpha, I can’t believe it. After all these years you thought I was some lonely grad student jerking off ??!!!! Well, in that case, will you marry me?

Pilgrim, I’ll get the hang of balancing biscuits on my nose eventually, but I need more biscuits to practice in the meantime.

Alpha said...

Not with a pervert who lives with his parents..I have set my standards to dogs now. I am thinking of all my comments to you where I thought you were a guy, unmarried at that. Don't tell me this Anantha is a man now!

Terri the terrific said...

I might live with my parents, but I'm no pervert. I'm not sure about Anantha, though.

Anonymous said...

terri:

i think #6 is universal.

i doubt that anantha lives with his parents, and the phrase "A cricket freak" (randomly selected from his website) might count towards one's perversion coefficient only if it were to come from a redneck's keyboard.

alpha:

you teddy!!! hibernating is for bears not humans - see what happens when you hibernate?

anantha - by any name or pose - looks manlier than terri!

btw, in all my blog travels, terri and you are the only ones yet to blog on sivaji - whattup wid dat? heck, one of these days, even pratibhatai might blog on sivaji!

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., anantha might look manlier, but do random women on the street paw him? Besides, the view from my height is a lot nicer.

Alpha said...

esbee: the impression was formed way before I went on hibernation. how have you been? How many more kids in tow?

anantha said...

anantha might look manlier, but do random women on the street paw him?

*sigh*!!!!

Anonymous said...

alpha:

do i look like the "pied piper of gremlins" or what?!!

- s.b.

Alpha said...

sb: I wish I could answer that question honestly. send photo along with recording of flute rendition.

Anonymous said...

alpha:

i would rather answer your question right here, right now, rather than send you my photo and/or flute horrendition!

"How many more kids in tow?"

aur naheen bas aur naheen ...! :-) [just got an e-mail this morning from a friend - "When you have your third kid, the increase in workload on the domestic front is exponential!"]

- s.b.