Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tag Mein Twist

I’m starting to feel like Atlas if I don’t respond to phone calls and tags promptly. By all accounts, this is the last tag pending, and I want to inform you that I’m on sabbatical in the jungles of Borneo for the next six months with limited access to e-mail and voice mail. If you need immediate assistance, please tag the first person who leaves a comment here.

The Thinking blogger award / tag has been giving me sleepless nights. At first I thought it was dad’s snoring or gas buildup in my system that was keeping me awake, but later realized that asking me to pick five favorite blogs is like asking Draupadi to pick her favorite husband and expecting to get a straight answer from the quintessential bharatiya nari.

However, tags must be honored just like dinner invitations you can’t get out of. So, in the spirit of Draupadi seeking female companionship for intellectual stimulation after cohabiting with a bunch of mama’s boys, I hereby list five of my platonic preferences (in no particular order):

  • Boo’s Baby Talk – Sometimes I’m not sure who the child is on this blog. Is it Boo or Ashu? Perhaps that’s the reason I’m drawn to it – for the author’s childlike simplicity, fragility and naïveté, delivered with a heady dose of humor. Billy Joel probably wrote She’s Always a Woman just for Boo.

  • Mahanandi – I imagine Indira elbow-deep in garlic, onions and peanuts, as a pot simmers behind her on the stove and she cheerfully pounds spices for the evening meal in a mortar and pestle. In times of duress, it would be her lap I would seek to rest my head on because Indira spells comfort to me - like a soft, cozy shawl you’ll never throw away.

  • IndieQuill – Remember the famous deli-orgasm scene in When Harry Met Sally? I react in quite the same fashion as does Sally whenever I read Amrita’s writing. Except I’m not faking it.

  • The Mad Momma - You know how you start an argument with your spouse at the kitchen table just because you want some attention? And he puts down his coffee mug, takes off his glasses, calmly folds the newspaper and starts to analyze your argument, breaking it down by points and dividing it into categories and sub-categories? And you realize with a sinking heart that he’s right, as usual, but all you really wanted was for him to throw his coffee mug aside and bop you like a bunny right there on the kitchen table? That’s how I feel when The Mad Momma gets going. I might not agree with her, but by the time she’s done, I reluctantly concede that maybe she does have a point after all. (Heck, if I could argue as sensibly as she does, our kitchen table would probably be on its last leg.)

  • I Think – So similar are we in temper and temperament that if life were a Hindi movie, Lakshmi and I were probably separated in a Kumbh mela setting as children only to reconnect in the blog world a couple of songs, a few dishum-dishum scenes and one Mallika Sherawat item number later. And when we finally meet at that clean, white temple on the hillock you see in every Hindi movie, rose petals would rain down from the sky, conches would blow loudly and a mysterious breeze would cause the temple bells to start clanging wildly. We'd need that background score, you see, because given our reticence, the silence would be earth-shattering.
    Lakshmi, do you perchance have a heart-shaped locket with a missing half? Neither do I. What about a strawberry-shaped mole in a spot that only your husband can touch? Just checking.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri, this sounds totally spooky. Some time back, when I was parked at Alchemy, I TAGGED YOU as a thinking blogger. And now you tag me again at I THINK .
I don't think we should meet in person; we may be like two drops of mercury coalescing into one blob.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and about the mole, ahem ! :)

The Visitor said...

Terri,
Mom seems to be my fairy Godmother!

1. Helped me touch base with s.b.
2. Get to Alpha's blog from her comments.
3. Mom, doing this tag has put me in touch with Lakshmi's blog - a great find! And has given me some confidence on the work from home front.

PS[ssst]: Terri, you know fairy Godmothers' standing after Shrek. ;)

Anonymous said...

Terri

i have really enjoyed reading your blog (went through all your posts in the past 4 days) - very funny and interesting. you become my most favorite blog after i came to your blog through Sujata's blog.

Now you have given me some links to go to - i hope they are as interesting as yours - thanks!

- Shree

Anonymous said...

the visitor:

you _*just*_ got to alpha's? wow! to think of all the years (well, at least two) we've (alpha, her readers, and i - in that order) been yanking anantha's leg over there - i actually need to thank you that this was the first time anantha responded to my leg yanking :-).

talking of separated at birth, i thought alpha and terri's mom were - given their proximity (when) in the windy city. but from one of alpha's recent comment, that thought is out the drain.

terri (or mom)*:

"Lakshmi, do you perchance have a heart-shaped locket with a missing half? Me neither."

maybe no lockets, but how about a previously used mangalasutra with no missing parts? ;-)

- s.b.

* - i say "mom" because after mom so thoughtfully wrote out the whole tag response for terri, he conveniently forgot to edit it - on second thoughts, maybe it was done intentionally to keep alpha (and pals) guessing. :-)

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, you totally lost me on that mercury reference. Please expound on the properties of mercury for the benefit of readers who may be blessed more in the beauty than the brains department.

visitor, I have added Shrek to my Netflix queue. I hope the fairy godmother is as endearing as the donkey and better looking than Fiona.

Shree, go forth and read. These other links are even better. You won't be disappointed.

s.b., if you are the visitor's guru, then alpha is my god. Are there any plans afoot to build a temple for her?

B o o said...

Whoa! We are deeply honored Terri. "Who is the child?" - Exactly the Q people who know me ask sometime! Nothing misses your eyes, I see! ;)

BTW, I got the mercury reference. (What does that say about my beauty?!)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have no idea what to do with compliments so I'll say, Thank you and same to you. (I think my first reaction was a lot funnier but I wouldn't want to shock the puppy or anything).

And er, does this mean I'm tagged? How much do tickets to Borneo cost?

rads said...

Terri. I totally love the way you write. Just love it. :)

anantha said...

Terri: NO!!!!!! No temples to Alpha. Already that scene is going out through the roof.

Alpha and god? Please do a rethink. Alpha could be Satan's No. 1 minion.

s.b: Ya ya ya! Everybody pulls my leg. :P

Terri the terrific said...

(What does that say about my beauty?!)
Boo, why put words in my mouth?

Amrita, was your first reaction the same as Sally’s at the deli? In that case, we want to see. And not to worry, all tags die a natural death at my doorstep.

Rads, that’s so sweet! If we were living in the same city, you’d be on my BFF list.

anantha, what blasphemy is this?!! If fat-ass Khusboo can have a temple built for her, why not Alpha, who spends time at the gym and is surely better proportioned?
No prasadam for you!

Anonymous said...

amrita/terri:

the reference(s) to borneo reminded of when i first heard of the place - in a biggles novel. did either of you read biggles?

from the wiki link above, it appears that biggles is/was vilified as are/were enid blyton and tintin - looks like the more popular these authors are, the more the opportunity to impugn 'em, eh? what people fail to realize is that as times change, what is pc changes too (and pcs change too!).

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., grandpa used to read Biggles as a young man, so naturally I didn't want anything to do with it. Also, Biggles had no sex appeal, so he was overlooked in favor of more mature literature.

Anonymous said...

with buddies like ginger and nutmeg (ok, not nutmeg, only ginger!), these dudes preceded the spice girls by a century, give or take a couple of decades. how much more spicy do you want your books to be? ;-) [btw, as this is a rhetorical question, no graphic answers are required; remember, that this blog has pg-13 level readers]

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Terry,

You are a sweetheart!

rads said...

Terri - we can still be BFF you know. What's miles when compared to wavelengths and words? :)

Terri the terrific said...

rads, I'll take up your offer. Thanks!

indira, thank you! That's high praise coming from a cat lover.

s.b., the only spice I prefer is mirchi. Know anybody who fits that category?

Maggie said...

Terri, do thank Mom for her kind comment over at my blog, and also let her know that I have yet to come across a funnier Thinking Blogger post. There's a teeny-weeny bit of talent here, don't you think?

The Visitor said...

@mopppet's mom - so true!
... yet to come across a funnier Thinking Blogger post.

Terri the terrific said...

moppet's mom, visitor, thanks for the kind words. I forgot about the Thinking Blogger part - I just mentioned some of the blogs I visit on a daily basis. There are a lot more (including your own) that I have bookmarked as favorites.

noon said...

Seriously - I second Moppet's mom's comment!

Anonymous said...

A small tutorial on a mercury drop (mercury is a liquid metal, incidentally), being "cut" into two, and the two droplets coalescing into a single drop again may be seen here.

B o o said...

Terri, I tagged you some more! ;) Sorry about the timing! Take it if you are interested.
http://boosbabytalk.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-favourite-indian-writing.html

Anonymous said...

terri:

"s.b., the only spice I prefer is mirchi. Know anybody who fits that category?"

here is the perfect site for you (link shamelessly internalized from amrita's blog).

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

noon, thank you, seriously!

lakshmi, I get it now. It's sort of like a lizard's tail that grows back without a scar.

boo, a thousand apologies. But I delegate Lakshmi (who commented first) to take up this tag.

s.b., did you mean to direct me to the college girls gone wild ticker below the tame "Chupke chupke" video? Sorry, that's not my alley.

Anonymous said...

terri:

if you get a framed ansel adams, i am sure you would say 'wow! nice frame!' :-) i thought at least the site name would meet your requirements, if nothing else did. :-(

- s.b.

A Muser said...

Love MM's blog, so am sure the rest of the blogs are awesome too! Hoping to check them out soon.

Alpha said...

is the temple building still on? its not good to leave a project unfinished. I need to interview my high priest..anantha, you might be given a preference as you normally have flowers around your ear.

yikes @ being compared to kushboo.

The Visitor said...

@alpha
yikes @ being compared to kushboo.

Puzzled at the reaction for such a nice compliment?!

the mad momma said...

:) hey.. i am supposed ot be informed of this honour.. not have to bump into it accidentally. and i would be only to happy to bop on the table and all but i dont go for doggies or women yet! yet being the operative word! and thank you for the compliment. I am much honoured.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., don't worry. Amrita's Love in Nepal video did it for me.

muser, you won't be disappointed.

alpha, we need sponsors. The project's on indefinite hold, unless Khusboo generously donates.

visitor, what part of Khusboo is nice?

mm, sorry, I knew word would eventually get back to you. And our admiration has more to do with the way you argue than bop. (Unless the OA wants to do a post on that and enlighten us.)

Anonymous said...

the visitor:

i pity you - alpha has a unique (sherlock holmes would probably say "singular") sense of humour, and terri joins in the fun, sometimes. ask anantha, he knows how it is like to be on the receiving end! :-) [thankfully, i've been spared, as of now!!]

alpha is married, so i guess no more can she think like khushboo!

a muser:

check out alpha's old blog too. in amit verma speak, much fun comes!

- s.b.

Alpha said...

kushboo seen in parts is way nicer than the whole. It takes a while to comprehend she is human...you need panaromic vision.

thanks s.b. for spreading rumors about certain humors. You will hereafter be appointed as the bell ringer in my temple.

Anonymous said...

alpha:

what in my comment made you feel that i am a dead (or live) ringer for a bell ringer? now, i want to be saved by the bell from the bell!

- s.b.

The Visitor said...

@terri - er. hmm.. looks like I'm in a gargantuan minority.

@s.b. - I've been treated to Alpha's brand of humor in her marriage in malluland series. Still to recover.

@alpha - biding my time...

and there are other claimants (than s.b.) for the post of bell-ringer at The Temple. It is just that I was enlightened only recently.