Monday, October 01, 2007

Division of labor

Awww! That’s so nice of your husband to take your car in for servicing,” gushed the women at work.

“Really?” thought mom guiltily. She always thought it was a man's job because dad treats his cars like objects of veneration - even long after the honeymoon is over.

She, on the other hand, views cars as metal boxes that transport her from point A to point B without mussing her hair.

Mom wonders if dad receives similar comments from his Caucasian co-workers.

Would they consider him lucky because his wife packs his dabba every day?

And what if they came to know she even (gasp!) launders his underwear for him?

17 comments:

noon said...

Not just the Caucasian ones...am sure the desi ones who don't get a dabba will also be green with envy! :)

Terri the terrific said...

noon, just the bachelors. I'm sure the married desis all have dedicated wives who do a lot more.

rads said...

terri - don't feel guilty. We are bestowed with such random blue moon events, we need to learn to bask in their glory too!

Alpha said...

never packed a dabba all my life. hubby does laundry and car service. ask me if i feel guilty.

Anonymous said...

Here's a married desi wife who doesn't pack dabbas.

Anonymous said...

Does mom leave little love notes for dad in his dabba ?

-atgc

Terri the terrific said...

atgc, no, but she usually launders their underwear together. That's romantic enough, right?

mg and other desi DINKS, do you eat out or does he pack your dabbas?

rads, alpha, now you're making me feel guilty about feeling guilty.

Unknown said...

intersting..

rememebered adengappas post from a long time ago..

here is a link..

http://tringtring.blogspot.com/2006/08/thats-right.html

Where is the Visitor and why am I doing Visitor stuff?

:)

Anonymous said...

Awwww, he services your car and you make him dabbas! Now you need to come up with something to do in return for the plane flying... marathon shopping?

Terri the terrific said...

sundar, are you a dabba man also? Now if I can only persuade dad to kick that nasty Starbucks habit.

Amrita, the car's not the only thing he services ;) but I like the marathon shopping idea as well.

Anonymous said...

He does pack mine sometimes in fact-but we're not DINKS (long story am only willing to reveal by email).

Anonymous said...

As I always believe, having a spouse is no guarantee of getting a dabba.

Actually, most of us dont stop to think that instead of no dabba, the guy could be making two dabbas everyday!

The ones who get dabbas and ones who do not get dabbas both should consider themselves lucky :)

Terri the terrific said...

mg, you mystery girl, you! Do tell. I'll send you an e-mail.

pilgrim, dabba is merely a bonus. It's guaranteed only if it's part of the prenup agreement.

Sujatha Bagal said...

There was one guy in the elevator a long time ago who thought my husband was pretty lucky because he saw me with a bunch of his drycleaned shirts. I was taken aback. Did he think my husband would take his clothes in while I took mine?

Terri the terrific said...

sujatha, I'm not surprised. Only after constant nagging for the last dozen years does dad now ask mom if she needs anything from the grocery store. Otherwise, he'd shop for himself, while mom shopped for the family - on his money.

A Muser said...

Husband packs own dabba if he feels like it, and does his own laundry (he doesn't like how I fold clothes), and often takes the cars in for servicing. How guilty am I supposed to feel, hah?

Terri the terrific said...

muser, heavily pregnant women are not allowed to feel any guilt whatsoever.