Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Chained by tradition

All mom really wanted that day at the doctor's office was a rubber band for her hair.

She dug deep into her purse and found everything else, including the mangalsutra she had misplaced two years ago coiled like a golden snake against the dark interior.

“Oh, my god,” thought mom, her eyes widening in disbelief, “how many times has this very same handbag passed through airport screening without beeping even once?”

Despite the time difference, the occasion warranted rousing the maternal grandparents in India out of deep slumber.

“I can’t tell you how happy I am,” gushed grandma, as though mom had stood first in the civil service exam. “My prayers have been answered.”

A vada malai to the neighborhood Hanuman was duly commissioned, and coconuts were cracked in front of various temple deities - the halves then distributed to the Gurkha guard and the chappal keepers out front.

The hullabaloo her parents had created when they first learned of the missing mangalyam reminded mom of the similar bedlam she had generated when she awoke with a stinging red eye on her wedding day and couldn’t pop her contact lenses in.

If it hadn’t been for her cousins who clustered around her during the ceremony and guided her every action, mom would’ve married the closest pandal pillar for all she could see.

Unlike the premarital red-shot right eye which was blamed on jitters, mom had no one but herself to blame when she mislaid her marital symbol many years later.

“What do you mean you can’t find it?” exclaimed grandma over the phone. “First of all, who told you to take it off? Have you looked in your bed?”

“That’s the first place I searched,” said mom defensively, happy to note that she wasn’t the first godfearing Hindu woman to stow her chain under the pillow.

Perhaps the traditional Tam Bram thaali needs a serious redesign if generations of women have been taking the chain off at night at the behest of their husbands, lest the jingling awaken a sleeping household at the most inopportune moment.

When grandpa first learned of mom’s errant mangalsutra, he promptly dipped into his retirement savings and sent her a shiny new replacement through the next visiting relative.

“Find a good day to take off the yellow thread from around your neck,” grandma had instructed over the phone.

Mom touched her bare neck and gulped.

“Do puja and then wear your new thirumangalyam. And don’t you dare lose this one also,” warned grandma, silencing mom’s protests of needless expenses.

Mom’s neck is now dutifully weighed down by guilt and her cleavage raw with dent marks from the new mangalyam's sharp edges.

“What are you going to do with two chains now, Amma?” asked Anu, echoing the question in mom’s own mind when she recovered her jewelry.

That's a good question.

I wonder if wearing two thaalis simultaneously would doubly impress the maternal grandparents when they visit next week.

29 comments:

Pretty Woman said...

you are on a roll, woman! But I know what you mean...everytime i cant find it when its time to meet the inlaws...I pray to God that he help me find it and in return I break a coconut and 25 thoppikarnams!! :D...its not funny at that point, am serious..

Saady said...

I like Mom's story telling abilities !

Unknown said...

mom can create a furor by wearing two thalis!

this is fantastic Tamizh cinema material.. a woman with two thaalis..

the possibilities of what could happen in India when they see you.. endless!

as usual, you gave me thought for a post on the discussion that happened here..

:)

Anonymous said...

Unless you want people to mistake mom for a septuagenarian or octogenarian (is she?), I would recommend that she NOT wear both. In case you were unaware, women who have had their "aruvadaam kalyanam" or "sadhabishekam" wear two sets of thaali !
On an unrelated note, won't two thaalis create enough ruckus to awaken your entire neighbourhood during hanky panky moments?
And mom worries about the bruise in her cleavage? Think of poor dad ;)

Anonymous said...

Why has this commenting structure changed, btw? It does not ask me for my url!!! sigh. I was counting on this to direct some of the traffic my way ;)

Terri the terrific said...

pretty woman, such blasphemy! Bribing god and all. Next time try vada malais.

saady, thank you.

sundar, you have similar lost mangalyam stories? Whatever will your mother-in-law say to her daughter?

I always thought the thaali had potential as a martial arts weapon because it's easy to puncture a major artery with its sharp edges. Have they exploited this possibility in Tamil cinema?

lakshmi, all hanky-pankies might have to be temporarily suspended until further notice, even though the opportunities are ripe as the kids will cuddle up with grandma for the next three weeks.

I don't know what the deal is with this commenting structure. I woke up this morning and saw 1 comment in my inbox and thought nobody loves me.

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

Had a good laugh. You have an incredible sense of humor. So, looking forward to the grandparents' visit? Enjoy maadi!

Munimma said...

For a long time, I couldn't remove it at all. In fact, I made 2 hooks on either side so that I could attach it to matching chains instead of the usual gold. I usually try to wear it on Sundays for the temple trips. My Mom had to remind me to wear it for India trips. Evolution in process!

If a wife's thali is strong enough to move mountains, 2 thalis will double the effect, surely?

Terri the terrific said...

anitha, welcome; and yes, grandparents are such gems, aren't they?

munimma, that's a cool idea with the hooks. I'll run it by grandma to make sure it doesn't violate any orthodoxy code.

Anonymous said...

terri:

if the rate of mom's thaali acquisition continues, soon there will be a thaaliban in the household!

lakshmi:

"I wonder if wearing two thaalis simultaneously would doubly impress the maternal grandparents when they visit next week."

this is the real reason for terri's abnormally long absence.

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., that was hilarious! Given the present thaali tally in the household, that could very well become a possibility.

rads said...

lol, you are such a honest pattani, tellin moms on missing mangalyams! :P

I missed mine for the whole summer, and magically it appeared the day before Varalakshmi nombu. Divine intervention indeed. I'd had a backup black bead chain ready just in case..

Nat said...

"generations of women have been taking the chain off at night at the behest of their husbands, lest the jingling awaken a sleeping household at the most inopportune moment."....
Had me falling off my chair laughing.
I took mine off a week later. Same problems with cleavage. My pain-bearing threshold is/was low. Ahem. LOL!!!!

Anonymous said...

hehehehhehhheeee! I have three taalis...one up on you!

Terri the terrific said...

rads, that sounds so filmi. A case of life imitating art.

nnr's m, I was told the sharp edges would eventually turn blunt after years of use. But at what cost?

mg, no! Seriously! How come? Do tell.

noon said...

Mom's folks are nice Ter! They are even willing to engage in firther discussion after she dared to tell them it is lost. Had it been me, I would have had one imported from India and fed ex'ed to me the next day just so I wouldn't have to have this discussion with them! No not discussion - word daggers that would have made me collapse! WHAT?! You lost it?!!!! it would have started and I would have never heard the end of it.
For comic relief for us faithful readers mom has to wear both thalis now and post on the reactions! Please convince her Ter. You are the only one who can do it!

Terri the terrific said...

noon, are you kidding me?!! Per Lakshmi's response above, that would fall under the category of aagathu.

Vineeta said...

Hilarious :)

Anonymous said...

Terri,

I landed on this blog thru Broom's. Am hooked on to it. Great sense of humour and simplicity in your writing.

Am adding it to my blogroll. Hope you don't mind.

i am deepseas at wordpress

Anonymous said...

have done a post to answer your question

neha vish said...

I dutifully wear the thaali when I am required to. But my face gives it away. After struggling with it sharp edges, I began to wear it the other way round - so the thaali hangs on my back. I suppose all my mountain moving is happening in the wrong direction, which might explain some things that I have been worried about!

Terri the terrific said...

deepseas, why would I mind? go right ahead.

mg, that's the spirit, although your post raises some unanswered questions.

neha, wearing a thaali backwards might be akin to wearing jeans to a temple or trimming your nails on a Tuesday. You should probably consult a maami for some unsolicited advice on the subject.

Anonymous said...

BTW terri, if an innocuous thali can cause so much discomfort, I am guessing metti is nowhere in the household. Am I right? ;)

Terri the terrific said...

Au contraire, lakshmi. Mettis are a fashion statement, to be flaunted in different styles like earrings, especially when one's toes are the same length as one's fingers.

Anonymous said...

And she'd wear shoes over them? My my! Mom must have a higher pain threshold than some people I know - like myself :)

Anonymous said...

AWARD time !

Anonymous said...

Ha mom,

http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspx

The reading level of this blog has to be genius!

So, Terri's mom has to be einstein to write them, right?

-S

Anonymous said...

And the previous comment was to be addressed as "Ha Terri's mom", due to my avsara kuduku thanam, it became just Ha Mom.

Apologies.

-S

Terri the terrific said...

S, all credit goes to my readers who keep coming back. I hope that sounds modest enough.