Monday, February 25, 2008

Khwaja mere khwaja, unnecessary band baaja

Remember the crush you had in high school, when you'd write his name in a notebook and doodle around it while talking on the phone to your best friend?

Remember watching your crush out of the corner of your eye and wishing you were attractive enough to be on his radar like the girls who wore their skirts two inches above the knees instead of two inches below?

And remember how, after swooning over him for weeks, you almost came within kissing distance one day, only to discover that he suffered from the worst case of halitosis, enough to make the smell of cow dung more inviting?

That’s how mom felt as she sat through a late-night showing of Jodhaa-Akbar this past weekend. Feeling somewhat like a born-again virgin, revisiting a theater for a Hindi movie after watching Mitr in 2002, mom hesitated for a second before handing over a whopping $10 in cash for her ticket.

Within the first few minutes of the movie, as she watched blood spill and elephants crush soldiers' heads like coconuts, she thought of all the ways she could’ve spent the $10 wisely – on three gallons of milk for the family; a Netflix subscription for an entire month; possible art supplies; even a much-needed threading of her eyebrows and upper lip.

Watching the two most beautiful people in Bollywood trying to unsuccessfully ignite passion onscreen, mom thought of the four hours she could’ve spent on worthwhile activities, such as grinding idli batter for the week ahead, cleaning her closet, packing for her India trip, or catching up on lost sleep.

In fact, were it not for the friends she sat with, mom might have slipped out the fourth time Hrithik flared his nostrils like a virile Arabian steed. Instead, she sat with her legs crossed against a full bladder, reluctant to use the restroom lest she miss the entertaining comments from a raucous Tamil crowd and the gossip her girlfriends dispensed during intermission.

Had someone handed her a remote control, mom would’ve watched the movie at the same speed as the spin cycle on her washer. The frustration of the protagonists mirrored her own, especially when she realized that the elaborate nose rings and kilos of jewelry on Jodhaa were the principal deterrents in consummating the royal marriage.

While the film focused on the princely pair, mom silently rooted for the underdog - Jodhaa's sensitive cousin, who she secretly felt was a poet trapped in a prince's body. The character's gentleness reminded mom of the man asleep in her own bed - a person capable of stirring great sentiment and ardor in her heart.

Had she stood up and walked out of the movie when the first wave of tenderness hit her, mom would've gone home and initiated an "art" project that would have made good use of her supplies.

And had the project lasted as long as the movie did, with no intermission, she would've written off the investment as having excellent returns.

25 comments:

A Muser said...

"Mom might have slipped out the fourth time Hrithik flared his nostrils like a virile Arabian steed." LOL!

Terri, your mom should've written the screenplay. I bet it would've been paisa vasool!

Anonymous said...

"The frustration of the protagonists mirrored her own, especially when she realized that the elaborate nose rings and kilos of jewelry on Jodhaa were the principal deterrents in consummating the royal marriage."

looks like mom's one thaali is worth more than its weight in gold (literally, figuratively yada yada yada).

read somewhere on the net that hr and arb are "katti"s for sometime, and that he refused to offer her a lift on his helicopter from juhu to the shoot location. so, all that impacted the on-screen passion was not gold alone.

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

muser, no paisa vasool movies for us. We're mostly into heavy drama with all-female characters.

s.b., if HR and ARB hooked up in real life, can you imagine the physically perfect offspring they would produce?

Unknown said...

yeah right.. if those two have offspring, they will be as exciting as velakkennai! or punnakku!

:(

why not make it a 20 buck investment and take dad to the movie..

then dad might see how Aish perked up her nostrils like a fertile mare and get his own ideas of how better to spend the art supplies.. err ... time!

:)

Anonymous said...

Art supplies? the 'bulb' that I am, I actually thought the link would take me to some paint brush website!

Before one starts thinking of HR and ARB, I just want to remind you guys of Dharmendra and Hema Malini's offsprings.

-Sachita
Ps: I so like this, as Mom's india trip nears, the # of posts are also increasing.

dipali said...

Oh, I actually liked most of the movie:)

Terri the terrific said...

dipali, you didn't think the movie was a tad long? Just curious, how much do movie tickets cost in India?

sachita, we're trying to make up for the silence that will follow in March.

sundar, $20?!! That will get us through a meal for a family of four at Subway's. Infinitely more exciting!

dipali said...

We saw this in a multiplex and payed Rs 250 per ticket. Other halls would be around 80-125, depending on the seat.(This is in Kolkata). And some halls would be even cheaper. This multiplex is one of the few places my husband knows the way to!
A tad long, yes. But I loved the whirling dervishes and Akbar joining them- that was the moment that made the movie for me.

Unknown said...

Knew this was coming when I saw you at the theater. Good one:)

s...

Anonymous said...

I hope mom learnt her lesson. $10 is worth every penny when spent on art supplies, however long the project lasts. Next time she gets the urge to blow it (the money, i.e) on anything else, write to us. We'll make her see reason.

Terri the terrific said...

Lakshmi, wouldn't it be cheaper if one bought art supplies in Chennai? Maybe you can come along with me and we can bargain.

sandhya, this one was for you in case the movie disappointed you as much.

dipali, Rs. 250 doesn't sound so bad. Those whirling dervishes reminded me of the song in Meenaxi where Tabu managed to convey sensuality with only her eyes.

Anonymous said...

lakshmi:

"$10 is worth every penny when spent on art supplies, however long the project lasts."

something is unclear. from the little i understand about the project and art supplies, the project will become analogous to penelope's web.

is that what you want terri's mom's project to turn into, or are you referring to art supplies of the kind referred to here?

back to the subject of the post, your blogfans might want to read the greatbong's takes on the movie as well.

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

Terri, I have seen art supplies displayed prominently on pharmacy shelves, but the nuke missiles on the covers put me off.

s.b. Especially with THAT disclaimer (BTW, long-drawn voyages can capsize the rowboat too), I am definitely referring to the kind you linked.

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, nuke missiles on the cover? What are they trying to imply? I might have to make a special trip to check it out.

s.b., what a relief to read that greatbong's mind wandered also during the movie. Frankly, I was getting a little worried after dipali's endorsement.

dipali or anybody else who speaks Bengali, what does "Boka Jodhaa-Akbar" mean? My Bengali skills are limited to rosogulla.

Anonymous said...

Heres someone else who wished he had done something else:

http://greatbong.net/2008/02/21/akbar-nama/

dipali said...

I presently live in Kolkata, but I know very little Bengali.
I'm also disgustingly low brow as far as movies are concerned. I didn't enjoy stuff like Welcome and Partner, which are just too boka for me,
(The normal rude phrase in Bengali is boka choda, meaning stupid f#$%er.)

Munimma said...

boka means dumb/stupid/useless. I think.

I guess I will wait for the dvd, although I do like watching the Arabian steed.

Sue said...

Bokachoda means 'foolish fornicator', or so Cousin T taught me years ago.

Mind you, we Bongs also use that as endearment, although only between very close friends and only amongst men.

Good night!

Anonymous said...

Terri - I sorta kinda liked it :blush: in fact its the only hrithik movie that i've ever liked him in. i thought the flaring nostrils magnified a million times on the big screen worked this time. also hilarious: the psycho music only came on whenever ash's name came up. hee hee.

Dipali - I have added bokachoda to my list of words I must use before I die. thank you kindly.

noon said...

MY friend's been raving about this movie and wants me to come...she wants to see it again. After reading your review here, don't think I will!

dipali said...

@ noon: As with most movies, you need to see it for yourself! I liked it too, and both my daughters want to see it again:)

Terri the terrific said...

noon, watch it if you're paying less than $10. You could buy a few diapers for that kind of cash.

Anonymous said...

Terri,

I absolutely cannot think like mom, but I loveee the way she thinks. You never fail to bring a smile to my day...

-SS

Shammi said...

I'm going to see it on a pirated DVD ... I gotta say that Hrithik looks fabuloso in the stills. But you may have already coloured my opinion of the movie :D At least you made me laugh!

Terri the terrific said...

SS, what a sweet thing to say. You brought a smile to my day!

shyam, I thought about you during the Khwaja song. I was looking forward to it after hearing it on your blog.