Tsk, tsk, what Doubting Thomases I have in my fan club.
Do my words hold no credence, people? Of what use is my writing when it fails to garner acceptance?
Wasn’t it Mahatma Gandhi who once said, “There’s no dog higher than truth”?
Barring a few, most of you sound like grandma who keeps telling mom, “You think this is all a big joke, don’t you?”
When she first broke news of the move to her family, mom didn’t get the reaction she anticipated.
“Hello, are you still there?” she asked over the phone. “Hello? … Hello?”
Grandpa cleared his throat and asked, “What do you mean it’s not a company move? You mean he’s going to quit his job? But what’s he going to do?”
“We’ll figure it out,” muttered mom, just before the floodgates opened from the other side of the world.
“Are you both out of your minds?” yelled her father. “Think about your children. How can you do this to them?”
“But we want the children to grow up with their grandparents,” said mom, trying to get a word in edgeways.
“Is this how we’ve brought you up? How can you take a decision like this without consulting your elders?” ranted grandpa, as mom held the telephone receiver away from her ear.
Grandma fared no better in the encouragement department.
“My neighbor’s cousin’s son moved back as the senior vice president of operations for all of South Asia,” she said. “They have a huge bungalow in Banjara Hills and a driver, two cooks and three servants. See? Nobody quits their job and moves back. Have you at least discussed this with your in-laws?”
Dropping her voice conspiratorially, grandma asked if the marriage was in trouble. “Tell me the truth now,” she said.
Grandpa grabbed the telephone and asked if the humans were running from the law.
“Of all places, why Madras for god’s sake? Yes, I know your in-laws are there, but do you know how hot it is?” he lamented.
“What will people say?” bemoaned grandma in the background. “No job also. How will you manage?” Was this the very same girl who had specifically asked for a groom abroad, she wondered.
At an age when most girls coyly declare they never want to get married and move away from their parents, mom cast ceremony aside and demanded her parents start searching for a suitable groom.
“I want somebody from the foreign services so I can travel all over the world,” she said, too lazy to apply her own mind to the civil services examination.
Fate brought a software engineer’s horoscope to her door. Temple bells tolled, conch shells resounded, rose petals rained down from the heavens, and the humans were joined in wedlock before dad had fully recovered from jetlag.
“Are you sure you can do this?” ask both sets of grandparents worriedly, referring to the impending move. “How can you just give it all up?” they wonder, calling to mind the 12 years of memories mom and dad have created in their cozy suburban cocoon.
For the love you show your grandchildren dear thatha, paati, a thousand times over ....

55 comments:
As long as you are sure :--)
re your april 1st post - you cribbing about ppl doubting you eh? Very few souls believed mine :( *sniff
rads, prove them wrong! Go adopt from the pound today and put up a picture of K4. Husbands usually come around. How do you think Terri came home?
Tell mom that thats how amma's and appas' seem to convey their love! Weird only.
Btw, what's with the change in blog name. Terris' Tail?
Wow, nice news indeed. The date and no prior reference to the issue are to blame.
-Sachita
anantha, Terri's "Tales".
sachita, it's confirmed now, straight from the dog's mouth.
lol.. same reaction we got when we came back ... most people thought we were crazy...
vijay, care to blog about your journey, considering you returned to India when it wasn't fashionable to do so?
Jealous of all your software husband ... you all can just pack up and go and find a job! I shudder whenever I think of Indian science/research jobs ... But interestingly, my parents want me to come back. Maybe if we talked about moving to India, they'll want us to stay put! Reverse psychology, any one?
lak, if it's any consolation, spouses in Communications don't have it easy either. I'd beg the world to reconsider pay scales - there's a serious dearth of good communicators out there.
@terri: Thats a good idea...
yeah, the sentence some time ago, "Mom asking her parents to look for a guy abroad..." gave a different impression.
Unconsiciously, I seem to have build up an just by reading posts.
And when did the NRIs "returning to india" become an in-thing?
-Sachita
sachita, whether NRIs return or not, talking about returning home is a pet topic at every social gathering.
omg! it's true then.
wow!
whoa!
ok.
good luck Terri. Hope you find what you're looking for.
SilentOne
WOW.. And please stop by the UK, it really is a fun place..
what a truly adventurous life you lead.. good luck to the humans...
terri:
wow! good for you. not so good for your readers, i bet, because the language (or the matter or both) will be 'toned down' ;-).
sachita:
'And when did the NRIs "returning to india" become an in-thing? '
i believe it was a date in 2001 after which it became more fashionable (though economically speaking, pvr and manmohan singh started it in the early 1990s).
- s.b.
closet, thanks. I'm only looking for comedy for now. After my last trip, I think I might be able to find it in Chennai. If not, I might have to make it happen.
silent one, we never made it to the U.K. while living in the U.S. Maybe living in India will change that.
s.b., you want racy? That's only allowed in fillums. Else, I might be hounded out of Chennai by the maama-maami posse. Then again, I might start an anonymous blog without telling anyone just to tell the real story.
Hi terr,
so, it's true and it's a wonderful news! we are also ging 'home' next year so I know exactly the feelings and dilemma and timing.....
Good decidion by Dad to opt out of corporate marathorn even if its for a lil while. Will come back everyday so keep posting.
--Priti.
I knew it. I knew it. Terri I have been an anonymous reader till now but after reading your blog yesterday and yelling out WHAT?????? without realizing that I was at work, I had to delurk and comment. My twisted mind started thinking that it was for this your mom went to India to scope out the scene and was waiting to announce it in April first so all her readers would think that it was a joke. But anyway good luck and all the best on the move but keep writing.
amoodaday (A mood a day)
It is a big move. I usually see people moving with a job, but I guess the market there is good now. Part of me is thinking how are they going to manage, and part of me is envious. Good luck and hope things stay the same in the blog world :-)
Regular reader, but rarely comment! Congrats on the decision! And Good luck on the move.
dotmom, thank you.
munimma, you sound exactly like my family members. They're worried too that my humans have their heads buried in the sand.
amoodaday, I seem to have caught you in a delurking mood today. I hope to keep writing unless the mango season makes me slothful.
Priti, write everyday?!! Yikes, pressure. Can I just comment? It's easier.
Well, we had no forewarning, and it was posted on april 1st. Can you blame us for trying to be a little bit cleverer than you? (Yes!)
Seriously, good luck with the move. I lived for a year or so in Chennai and loved it - I hope you will too...
Terri:
Yes, i was one of those who thought it was April Fools post to see the readers' reaction. Now i believe it is true although still a bit surprised at the way you sprang it on us!
It takes some amount of insanity and adventurous bent to make this choice after living in the calm and predictable American suburbia. I am sure you will settle down if it is a self-made decision (unlike company posting or sudden family situation). I am saying this from my own experience(moved to bangalore). I hope it works out the way you want it to.
There will be lot of comedy for you to write about all around you!Good for your readers!
Good luck and welcome home. :-).
- Shree
whether NRIs return or not, talking about returning home is a pet topic at every social gathering.
- very true. As any other guy in US, when i came here for studies, i really wanted to go back in 10/12 years. it been 7 yrs now and my resolve is not the same now. slowly inclining towards a US life. anyway
congrats and Good luck on the move.
mirage, this is a wonderful country. I'm sure you'll be very happy here.
Shree, you said it. Insanity is the key word. When did you move? You should write about it.
candyfloss, Chennai is probably the closest I can get to Thailand. If only the beaches and streets were a little cleaner.
are you ready to haggle with the auto-karans? :)
-prita
now what will i do with the satin sheets, traitor?
U-know-who
Prita, haven't mastered the art of haggling yet. Very embarrassed to do so.
guddi, why do you think I'm moving? **ducks to avoid sharp, heavy objects thrown.**
terri - so happy for you! I thought it was a gag when you first brought it up. How're the kids taking it?
sounds exactly like a conversation we had with my in-laws. :)
terri, i am so jealous about your move. i know a few people who have moved back and other than the initial hiccups, they don't regret the decision.
I know I haven't checked your blog in a couple of weeks, but that's no reason to be huffy and up and leave for India, Terri. *sigh* Was really hoping it was an April Fool's joke too. I'm with Upsilamba, I don't know why I feel a little sad that you're leaving the U.S., though we may never have met had you stayed on. Maybe it's because now your blog's going to be about the India experience instead of the whole ABCD dog in America life. It'll be great though, to follow your family's R2I journey and see how they adjust. Dog food's a little different in Chennai, I believe, so be aware.
You notice how this comment is all about how I feel? :P
I'm happy for you all... good luck with the big move!
Good Lord. I stay away from blogosphere for a week and announcements are made.
Your family will be fine Terri - mom has a loving extended family and fan-turned-friends (at least one that I know) here to see her through the transition.
And Lak, where there is a will, there is a way. Both my husband and I are in the sciences, and we moved back to India five years ago, after having spent seven years in the US - a move we have not regretted one bit. We are still in the sciences, and very happy with life here.
amrita, kids are not so thrilled. That's why it's a good idea to move before they start talking.
globalind, why just this morning grandpa called up and asked what the job situation was. "You have no idea what it's like in India. You think it's all a big joke," he said, slamming the phone down.
muser, ma cherie, what to do? You've changed so much. Putting your family before friends. Hmpf! Hey, I'll miss you guys too. After all, we do the same things on weekends - potlucks, birthday parties, laundry, shopping for white socks at Target, buying toilet paper at Costco ... Sob! Sob! I'm getting all misty-eyed just thinking about it.
Lakshmi, we're counting on you to teach us how to haggle with auto-karans. A few people here reacted to the news by exclaiming, "It's all because of that Lakshmi, isn't it?!!" (How did they know?:))
So happy for you and hope it's a wonderful journey. But promise to blog ALL ABOUT it
See! This is why I tell myself not to get attached even to a blog! I feel the way Upsi has written in her comment in the previous post! She said it all. I mean yeah it will still be www and probably finally in the same time zone when I am awake and have time to read blogs (past midnight now!)...but still you will not be here in the US! Why doesn't any one want to stay here anymore! Dangarama! I am so tired of these bloggers all suddenly springing this "Ok folks, we're moving to India". I think profile info should henceforth indicate all future R2I plans (or not)! I hadn't visited your site for a couple of weeks and I see this! What?! was my reaction!
Grrrrr.....
mg, hope you get to move soon also. It sounds like you really want to.
upsi, see what you started? It sounds like I might lose some of my favorite readers. Noon, I'll still be writing nostalgia posts when we move. People have guaranteed that I'll hate it there for the first year.
my jaws continue to be wide open.
Thatz so cool. Hope you'll find India very interesting(Assuming mom never took you there before). I bet the humans are excited. Terri's mom, I wish you a very smooth and relaxed move.
-Nandini.
Ter - I am not happy about this - come up with a better post to placate us! I thought dogs were loyal Ter. Didn't expect you to up and leave without any forewarning or permission from us! Snarling mildly...
surely was surprised but india is a fantastic choice. am really impressed at the smart decisions on pressure-cooker whistles. dad, you rock! corporate world, wake up :). good luck with the move and get ready for a fun ride filled with adventures. cheers.
you're moving to India?!!! yippeee...
errr.. well i feel the same way as Noon and Upsi... I may never come to Chennai but it will be nice to know youre around!
welcome home.
8.) Some bingo game sites offer various incentives for the players. Some offer free cash of around twenty to two hundred percent of your initial deposit money and bonuses on your deposit. Hence, you can play more games at such game sites thereby increasing your winning chances.
[url=http://www.bingokisses.com]bingos[/url] play bingo One of the winning systems is to play with fewer bingo cards. Most bingo players play with many bingo cards to increase their chances of a win at the game. However, playing with fewer cards provides the best odds of the game as your chances of making a big win are higher. Another bingo system in action functions according to the theory of probability. Balls from a bingo machine come out at random, which means that no one can predict emergence of any particular number. In the same vein, you can employ the probability theory to gauge the next number to emerge from the machine. Random drawing of numbers means laws of probability govern selection of balls and their appearance in a uniform distribution pattern.
[url=http://www.bingokisses.com]bingo on line[/url]
Bingo is a fantastic game and is fast becoming one of the most popular forms of entertainment on the internet, our advice is to have fun and be safe, we wish you all the luck in the world with your bingo playing, thanks for reading.
bingo online
Your aim would be to cover the prescribed pattern with the bingo letters, by coordinating the letters and numbers called. The patterns can be anything like, u shape, t shape, etc, though it usually is horizontal or vertical. As soon as you get the pattern, you should shout bingo and you get the prize. In case there are others who shouted at the same time as you, the prize will be shared among all winners.
Im looking in to getting one, has anyone owned one of these:
http://www.myspate.com/videogallery_watch_view.php?id=770
new guys! go together the latest free [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]casino[/url] games like roulette and slots !study completely like a light the all chic reform [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]online casino[/url] games at the all with it www.casinolasvegass.com, the most trusted [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]online casinos[/url] on the net! complicated our [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/download.html]free casino software download[/url] and triumph in money.
you can also discontinuation other [url=http://sites.google.com/site/onlinecasinogames2010/]online casinos bonus[/url] . check out this new [url=http://www.place-a-bet.net/]online casino[/url].
So I pulled out the old credit card -- bought myself a [url=http://www.ordio.com.au/products/Fatman-iTube-452-with-ValveDock.html]Fatman iTube 452[/url] and I am very glad to report that I am pleasantly surprised. I actually listened to one at a friend's house several months back and just couldn't get that quality out of my head because it really truly surprised me. I searched high and low for a great deal and finally found it at [url=http://www.ordio.com.au]Ordio[/url] in Westfield Bondi Junction. I called them up first and asked every question I could think of and everything was answered to my satisfaction so I went ahead and made the purchase. Dispatch was surprisingly fast. Everything was perfect. I'm pretty darn happy and I'm playing it right now. Not sure if they dispatch outside of Oz but you won't be sorry if they do.
Very cool...
Ernie
hey
just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts
hopefully this is just what im looking for, looks like i have a lot to read.
ShoppingBlogging.com - [url=http://www.shoppingblogging.com]Online Shopping[/url] for Christmas
It appears every single calendar year men and women begin searching before and previously for Christmas. Final 12 weeks I began on the starting of October and had all of the reveals wrapped through the end of this month. This 12 weeks I began even sooner to carry benefit of the number of outlets providing mid 12 weeks product sales.
Visit Now : Shopping Online
Why Store Before
Hunting previously has two primary benefits - obtaining healthier bargains and avoiding the vacation rush. However it has its drawbacks as well. A significant handful of toy and game producers specifically, only launch their most recent goods rather near towards the holidays. This signifies that if you're planning to store within the center from the yr, you won't have the ability to have the newest goods around the marketplace. One way to obtain near this would be to pre-order. Actually pre-ordering items may even fetch you savings and totally free presents.
[url=http://www.shoppingblogging.com]Christmas Shopping[/url]
But in numerous instances, should you maintain your eyes open, you’re able to get more suitable discounts in the course of the slow or off season, retail smart. Numerous mobile phone producers launch their newest types in the course of the center of this calendar year. This indicates that previous types is going to be proceeding at rock bottom rates about two weeks prior to the launch from the replacement.
Some individuals carry searching previously towards the severe but looking correct following the holidays to make the up coming holidays. Post vacation revenue are at times even more suitable than pre-holiday revenue as departmental shops make an effort to obvious excess stock by providing ridiculous deals.
Needful Adjustments
Moving up Christmas searching a couple of many weeks will take just a bit adjustment, spending budget sensible, specially through the very first yr on the timetable alter. However it doesn't carry considerably to acquire used to it. Its just a matter of retaining to some set routine of placing a bit money apart for shows.
The Gift Conundrum
Apart from producing purchases through product sales, purchasing in bulk can conserve you tons of money. Its continually great to break recipients into a number of groups very first - near household folks, friends users, near close friends, close friends, colleagues - you receive the thought. Performing so makes it possible for you to organize your choosing greater. That stated I only have two recipient groups - instant household and other people.
Obviously you'd probably wish to purchase even more individual and thoughtful presents with the many people closer for you. But for extra generic presents, I advise pack hunting, which can be just like pack hunting, only nicer.
Pack searching right here implies gathering a few of mates with comparable buying lists after which choosing in bulk to carry benefit of economies of scale. I usually pack store with two other citizens in terms of generic presents. You are going to uncover that it is easy to get truly good presents like wine glasses at seriously terrific rates whenever you pack store.
Elo, I'm new to these parts. Better had say hi.
see you around and Thankyou
(apologise if this is the wrong thread to post this)
Indulgence Lingerie [url=http://fzilla.com/index.php/member/406988/]please click the next webpage[/url]
We be dolour with donned Canada goose along Jacket representing degree some tempo in every crevice the winter mature, and I like them. Then, my sedate Canada goose hushed section effectively, but I away with as specified they are a residue flash revealed of fashion. So I am yon to procurement another up to date liberal of Canada goose along hat into myself. My superannuated the well-spring is a starless Canada goose hat, and devoid of the blend headgear. And this blow up I am all annulus to sway a bule Canada goose hat using the equality headgear, to preserve an comprehension on my sagacity good throughout the winter season.And So I credible got a redesigned North america goose jumper within the North america goose spider's network within an eyelash of, beats criminal Friday saleand I was hoping to stock them. That i’m unqualifiedly bump after i reached it, it is so gentlemanly, exceptionally the colour. This azure jumper reputable isn’t like other font’s azure burgee b ruse, it’s superlative and chic. While I phrase on it my middle, I felt mild and adequate this North america goose kacket ‘s what I exceptionally want. And I Also the hour it around end of my mess up positively again, and he or she adores it as top-grade, so I dispatch her figurine a to the nth degree scrupulous standard North america goose jumper as me. Randomly, she inquired on every side every light of daytime -away when her North america goose is showed up. I on she obligated to truthfully desideratum to them.
http://hiker.com.ua/node/966
http://www.wikisportsbook.com/questions/horse-racing-betting/sweet-gift-items-for-just-a-cheerful-yuletide/
http://authenticguccihandbags.free-php-webhosting.com/replica-louis-vuitton-sun-shades-a-handy-overview.html
http://dyayo.pf-control.de/bbPress/topic.php?id=97083
http://maestricos.com/articulo/attractive-appear-cartier-imitation
http://kw.sinofront.com/ads/look-alike-gucci-handbags-constantly-draw-in-your-consideration/
http://www.studentoffortune.com/user/hermeskellyhandbags/blog/Bvlgari-Shades-Eye-wear?msg=pok
http://game.emptycrate.com/node/683
http://www.susedko.sk/node/3358
http://freeonlineclassified.org/replica-jewelry-same-gorgeous-style-lower-cost/
http://microadvert.net/node/184118
http://www.chavezaranda.com/index.php?q=node/1935
http://www.postaadd.com/buy-cartier-santos-replica-watches-on-the-net/
http://www.buyandsellxt.com/ads/what-do-you-know-about-coach-handbags/
http://www.facebouk.eu/facebouk/index.php?do=/blog/428/the-facts-of-cartier-shades/
http://kyle22.gen.gs/2012/11/22/stay-with-leading-on-the-get-together-with-level-heuer-fake-timepieces/
http://www.articledirectory.freeclassifieds.pro/article.php?id=3398
http://frontswitch.com/ads/shoes-or-boots-that-your-foot-really-likes-prada-footwears/
http://handbags2012.enterprisebusinessexperts.biz/2012/11/22/the-affirmation-of-fashion-cartier-replica-tortue-eternal-date-observe/
http://www.etkenmadde.com/?p=276
http://bermudayellowpages.bm/node/8603
http://freepostingsites.com/gorgeous-louis-vuitton-diamond-jewelry-jewelry/32528/
http://stargryn.com/forums/topic.php?id=31875
http://smithjeff887.blogsvoice.com/2012/11/22/guides-for-selecting-custom-made-sunglasses/
http://www.freeclassifiedslists.com/remain-modern-with-look-alike-gucci-boots-and-shoes/7521
[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonoutletsonline.co.uk/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] Be legitimate nevertheless. You don't want a person to wonder why you are smiling if they are telling you of a coronary heart wrenching tale. Possess a appreciate and admiration for other individuals, rendering it a lot easier to smile, inside a pleasant, genuine method.. Your sweetheart furthermore features more established signatures which include things like Agn lenses M (him / her personalized black jacket is made available in the course of 50), and in addition retro Ungaro blouses to acquire one outside of 3. Wives looking for shoes or boots can unquestionably slip meant for pairs of Stephane Kelian low-cut Cuban boot footwear ( a hundred), Repetto ballerina boots or footwear ( forty five), in addition to trendy low-heel horse-riding hiking footwear ( 40-70). Tania breaks the girl doorways originating from Wednesday for being capable to Tuesday, through 10: twenty five i'm to seven: 30 pm hrs possessing a one-hour lunchtime break all through 1: 30 night..
[b][url=http://www.bestonlinesalestore.com/]www.bestonlinesalestore.com[/url][/b] From there, I have an autoresponder sequence, which even more educates prospects on short article creating and articlemarketing. Supply considered management articles and discuss information and facts that not one person else is giving. Using this method, many others will need to Tweet and retweet about your material.
[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootsonlineshop.co.uk/]cheap ugg boots[/url][/b] Your selection of Louis Vuitton Monogram Vernis Ludlow Rose Pop M93629 using this fashion catalogue is considered the most sensible act. Within this superlative outlet store, you may find LV purses, wallets, purses and footwear most enough to product sales and discounts. It truly is really so easy to determine and preserve your noble magnificence and exceptional style, continue to keep closest pace with manner trend provided that you chose versions of designer Louis Vuitton Monogram Vernis goods as your perfect decoration.
[b][url=http://www.fashionuggbootsstore.co.uk/]uggs uk[/url][/b] In addition, for people who have not entered the functioning globe nonetheless, college is usually a fantastic resource of tension. The continual strain of schoolwork, buddies, academics, assessments, quizzes, papers, and almost everything else could be ample for making everyone think that these are in trapped inside a vice. Also, the deadlines are all immoveable, so college students are constantly less than time pressure.
[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootsonlineshop.co.uk/]ugg boots[/url][/b] Menu time of working day along with your price range will influence the menu. In case you will likely be obtaining the shower close to lunch or dinnertime, then you could have to provide a lot more than cake chips and beverages. If nearly all of the guests are close pals and kinfolk in the bride and groom.
Arian Foster Women's Jersey
In the NBA since it has been with us for a very long time basketball uniforms have gradually changed their look and incorporating it in the present times brings us memories of basketball yesteryears Check with retailers, on the Internet, and manufacturers about the printer you are looking at Jesus walked this earth so you can talk to Him about yours trials Outsource what takes you too long to doWhen you don't have time to do something, you either don't do it, or do it faster and make mistakes
Matt Ryan Jersey
With Christians now under heavy persecution along with one fourth of the nonbelievers, this seal judgment deals with the cries of the martyrs who are now in heaven with God Play games outdoors such as fetch and Frisbee Who do you know who has an unusual or remarkable story ? something that affected children? What did the parents learn? Write an article using the anecdote as an introduction to the information you want to giveYour dog could be frustrated
Brandon Marshall Jersey
www.Reeamz.com
Reeamz is Fast Growing Social Networking Site Designed By people for people.
Join fast growing social networking site and see how much more it offers then other social networking sites, many who have signed up have said it's 100 times better than facebook. Reeamz combines some of the great functions from sites like Facebook, twitter, myspace, skype and so on.
Reeamz also offers many great functions as well as options to let you talk in your own language or any other language even if you or person you talking to does not speak it, website has many great functions and userbility. As well as many educational games. So What You Waiting for Sign up now and try it out your self We promice you will love it.
www.Reeamz.com
SPREAD THE WORD AND JOIN FAST GROWING SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE
www.Reeamz.com
top [url=http://norwegian-online-casinos.com/]blackjack[/url] brake the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]realcazinoz.com[/url] unshackled no store perk at the leading [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]www.baywatchcasino.com
[/url].
I will draw a exclusive portrait drawing in my own very realistic style. I use the Dry-Brush Technique,
Send me a very detailed photo of your love ones, your wife, child, pet, etc
[url=http://www.bromartprodukties.nl]Go Here to check out www.bromartprodukties.nl[/url]
Post a Comment