Was it mom’s imagination, or did the sun shine brighter yesterday? Did the birds sound chirpier, was the weather milder, and how come traffic was so light?
Perhaps nothing had changed, but mom was too distracted by the song in her heart and the spring in her step to notice.
It was her last day at work!
Cake was cut, gifts were given, cards were signed, backs were patted, praise was sung, hugs were dispensed, and mom left the building with happy memories, extra calories and promises to keep in touch.
“Can you work part-time from home until you leave?” asked the boss.
“All right,” replied mom, reluctant to sever all ties with the goddess of wealth.
Get back to warming that swivel chair, woman! You have another five weeks to go before you can apply for membership at SAHM’s Club.

24 comments:
This whole thing feels like one extended April fool's joke to me! Are you serious? You actually quit?!
No Ter - no admission in the SAHM club. Deadline over! :) Go back to work full time - we need interesting water cooler tales...err...tails.
noon, do I seem like the kind that jokes around?!! Mom's been looking forward to quit ever since she joined work, although she's bored in less than a day.
Huh?! I have missed a lot! I thought Mom was on a vacation but now she's quit her job?! Off to read the older posts...
terri:
two questions:
- was the title supposed to be: 'until the fat lady quits' or 'until the fat lady sings' or 'until the fat lady quits singing' or 'until the fat lady sings "quitting"'?
- did mom suddenly gain weight recently, or did you convert lbs to kgs without dividing by 2.2?
- s.b.
Unrelated comment:
I love the way you review movies with just one line about them :) Damn accurate too, what you have to say!
Yay! I hope mom's new position as SAHM will bring a lot more satisfaction, and of course - tails :-)
maggie, my candyfloss, why this multiple nickname syndrome? What have you done with moppet's mom?
s, why thank you! I was told I have a knack of finding fault with everything.
s.b., maybe it's all of the above :) And I thought you were a man of experience. You should know by now that women are NEVER happy with their weight.
manisha, make yourself a cup of tea and those awesome pinwheel rolls from your blog.
Wow! Things seem to be moving in a fast phase for you guys. I thought the decision has been made and the move was a long time from now. No? Anyway, good luck with everything and I cant wait to hear the "Tails from India"! :)
Thanks, boo. The family's scheduled to leave soon, and given their superior planning skills, tickets are yet to be booked, stuff is yet to be sold, house is yet to be renovated, resignation letters are yet to be turned in, resumes are yet to be updated, etc. Typical!
I am a bit out of touch. What is SAHM? Do I qualify?
L, you're spending way too much time on those research proposals. You wouldn't qualify to be a Stay-At-Home-Mom.
Congratulations, Terri's mom! Big first step towards heading back. I am sure her three kids are looking forward to her SAH status as much as mom.
muser, I don't know about the other two, but this canine first-born of hers is simply over the moon!
Terri's mom:
Your quitting brought up a stale question: When you were working and away for a whole day, how was Terri's food and stuff managed? Terri was able to care for himself until you came back and just be fine in the home or backyard?
- Shree
Shree, are you planning on getting a pet? Terri doesn't eat until his family's home. So his food lies in his bowl all day and he eats sometime in the evening. As he ages, he's finding it difficult to control his bladder, even through the night, and piddles on the carpet instead of waking anybody up. These are the joys of sharing your life with a geriatric dog. Every day that he's around is precious.
Does it mean you have only five weeks till you are off to Chennai?
wow!
Is there a way to send a private message?
---Priti.
Priti, my e-mail address is on this site.
oh my gosh!!! Terri....you are moving???? really??? I have been away from blogosphere for a while and looks like I have a lot of catching up to do!!
Moving to Chennai? I'm going to be there in the summer for 3 weeks :-)
cheers!
- saffron
Terri's mom:
Kids are pestering me for getting pet dogs. So I am sort of collecting data although it is going to take a few years for this to really happen. Planning for childcare is stressful enough. Right now, i don't want to add petcare as well on top of it.
- Shree
saffron, you've been away far too long. My kitchen is suffering because of you.
Shree, despite all their promises, the kids aren't going to help with caring for a pet. You might have to wait until they leave for college.
Wow! Terri's mom is on the mark about kids promising to take care of the pet(s)[Each kid wants their own dog!!!]. I was almost taken in by their sincerity! Thanks to your feedback, I will definitely stick to my stance of waiting for a few years. :-)
- Shree
shree/terri's mom:
agree with those points, but think about the flip side.
the 'house mom' will still be looking after the pet by herself, while tending to her empty nest (but kids will have flown away - literally or figuratively, or both - without having the pleasure of having the pet).
- s.b. (who was that kid asking for a pet dog once upon a time)
Shree, the same can be applied to husbands also. Eventually, it's the lady of the house who ends up with the responsibility.
s.b., does this mean your house will soon be blessed with the pitter patter of little paws?
- Terri's mom (who was that kid who asked for a pet dog once upon a time, got it, and never took care of it despite all her promises).
terri's mom:
"s.b., does this mean your house will soon be blessed with the pitter patter of little paws?"
nope, your guess is one generation off!
one year after yours truly was shipped off to college, "raja" tok over the household (and ruled for 18 long years).
one of my favourite recollections from a summer vacation is of my grandmother (on her only visit ever to our household) lifting the little puppy by his ears, then claiming that he was one obstinate pup because he refused to let out one single yelp of pain. had she done so here, my grandma might have been jailed by scpa. :-)
our digs are (is?) barely big enough to support four humans of varying sizes (that can be literally taken literally!), let alone a footloose pup. zoey's mansion sounds about the right size, though.
- s.b.
Post a Comment