Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jump with eyes wide shut

Either you all are incredibly polite, or my humans are incredibly stupid. (I know it's obvious, but humor me, won't you?)

Since news of her move has spread faster than the wildfires in California, mom has been pleasantly surprised at the reactions she’s been receiving.

People at work have been crawling out of the woodwork to let her know how incredibly “gutsy” she is. Co-workers who’ve only smiled at her the past year have been stopping by her desk to wish her well.

“I wish I could move closer to my grandchildren in Idaho,” said one woman. “But it’s so far away.”

“Hey, I wish I were from a foreign country. I’d totally move,” said a young intern.

“Don’t tell anybody, but I’m moving back to Gastonia,” whispered another colleague. “As soon as my house sells, I’m outta here.”

Mom suspects this outpouring of support might not have occurred had she deflected to a competitor.

On the personal front, other than her parents who are still freaking out – “Did you send out résumés?" – her friends’ reactions have been similar.

“You're going to love it there,” ex-Chennaiites confidently proclaim. Looking wistful and recalling their own younger days in the city, they list favorite restaurants, college capers, old bus routes and bumming on the beach.

“How did you guys suddenly decide?” has been the oft-asked question. Close friends have known mom to publicly declare that she would never move back. At R2I discussions at desi parties, mom would blink blankly and move closer to the food. “I love it here,” she’d say. “I wish my folks lived in Mexico so I could drive down and see them.”

In moments of self-doubt, mom would ask dad if he ever wanted to move back to India. “I don’t want to,” she'd say with a finality that brooked no further discussion.

So, when did the tide change, and how?

If mom were a Hindi film heroine, she’d lie this minute with her head on her mother’s lap and declare, “Pata hi nahi chala, ma, kab epiphany ho gaya, pata hi nahi chala.”

Was it when somebody forwarded her this post? Or when a good friend moved to India to be closer to her family? Could it have been triggered by seeing her mother off at the airport, or the silent house that greeted her after her in-laws left?

Perhaps it was the frustration of sitting in traffic and wondering if commuting and rushing home every single day was what life was all about. It could even have been a post innocently written by the author with no far-reaching consequences in mind.

Who's to say what the catalyst was? Does it even matter?

The universe is now in motion and the humans are advised to buckle up and YENSOY the ride.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anytime resumes need to be passed on they can be passed on.. get what I mean?

Terri the terrific said...

Thanks, Vijay. Dad would balk at accepting help, but mom's pretty shameless.

Anonymous said...

It still freaks me out that my post could have been a reason for some life-change, but I am teeny weeny bit proud too.
Terri, considering how similar mom and I are, I suspect she would love the return as much as I do.
India rocks, Terri. You'll see. (I hope).

Guddi said...

now that you know what we all say and ask you directly, maybe i should post a whole blog on what we say behind your back.. the speculation about your careers when you go back, where you would stay et al. its very interesting, you know!!;)

Anonymous said...

terri:

*i know you are a dog, but* ... would you want to be a guinea pig too?

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

L, it's the power of blogging, I tell you. It changes lives.

guddi, please do dish. We're counting on you to say the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

s.b., I would've gladly signed up had Sujatha been writing it.

Jinguchakka said...

I notice the "Yensoi". Good.
All the best!!
Looking forward to all your culture shock posts as you slide your way back in.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Blog hopped here from Indiequill. Yayy to India return. Double yayy to destination Chennai. Triple YAYY cos I'm moving back next year and I can take you for lovely walks along Elliot's beach, Terri!

Terri the terrific said...

jc, hello, and thanks!

desigirl, for being the first person to want to make friendship with me, I kiss you. For being a desi who actually likes dogs (you guys are a separate, rare breed) I kiss and slobber all over you. I'll look for you along Elliot's Beach (as soon as I Googlemap and figure out where it is).

dipali said...

Epiphany's are strange beasts: they can overcome you with absolutely no warning whatsoever. May your transition be as smooth as possible, and may Terri enjoy terrific walks on the beach.

Terri the terrific said...

Thanks, dipali. I've never been to a beach, and everytime mom stood along the shoreline and watched the waves tickle her toes, she's longed for me to be around. Personally, I would've preferred going to San Diego as that's a lot closer.

Unknown said...

lets not count our chickens.. err balli mittais before they hatch, shall we..

:)

take it nice and easy now!

big change....

don't get too emotional.

the beaches of besant nagar...

see link below (note, there is a special treat for you terri.. you are going to come face to face with your new friends..)

http://sundar72.blogspot.com/2005/06/another-beach-trip.html

of course that post is almost 3 years old.. nevertheless..

Anonymous said...

It's Ensoi! I guess you will learn. Total fun only enime.

I belong to the majority category of Desis when it comes to Dogs but chances of me being in San diego beaches are higher than Besant Nagar, so no problems there I guess.

-Sachita
Ps: I don't ever give Sermons of any kind. But I do try to be friendly(smile) around with babies and kids, only if they are friendly(otherwise I get scared). I hope that's ok!

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, stay away from the dog parks on the beach in San Diego. Dogs like to intentionally transfer their drool on unsuspecting humans.

sundar, what is this balli mitthai that you speak of? It sounds better than chicken.

Alpha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alpha said...

Let me stand in the queue too and give my Kudos too!!! Underarm waxing is painful.

Good luck Mom!

Anonymous said...

If you happen to know an immigrant from India that has been living in NYC and is now moving back to India please get them in contact with me. I'm doing a photographic art documentation on reverse migration in New York City. I would love to discuss more with anyone interested!